Author Topic: Killing an 88 = a Kill  (Read 2036 times)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: Killing an 88 = a Kill
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2024, 09:13:54 PM »
No it hasn't.  Would be nice for the above mentioned wish to be put in, alongside having gunners scoring category actually mean something towards rank.

Really strange to have field gunners both not count as kills and deaths and have 0 impact on the scoring in general.

because there's no risk to being in a gun.  besides it's too easy to kill guns.  some guys would go flying from base to base killing guns instead of fighting somebody else.  bet you never thought of that  :uhoh

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2024, 04:52:00 AM »
because there's no risk to being in a gun.  besides it's too easy to kill guns.  some guys would go flying from base to base killing guns instead of fighting somebody else.  bet you never thought of that  :uhoh

semp

Manned guns are kills, not unmanned. 

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2024, 05:50:19 PM »
Manned guns are kills, not unmanned.

same thing.  i can go land kills easily disposing of manned guns.  that would improve my score if I cared about it.

semp

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2024, 06:30:36 PM »
same thing.  i can go land kills easily disposing of manned guns.  that would improve my score if I cared about it.

semp

I think you are missing the point semp... maybe someone will come along and explain it to you.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2024, 06:43:14 PM »
I think you are missing the point semp... maybe someone will come along and explain it to you.

isnt the point killing an 88=a kill?

semp

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2024, 07:50:44 PM »

semp

A manned gun is not always occupied by a player.  Player occupied guns  are the guns that should count as a kill or death.  It also shouldn't be limited to a 88.  Shorebat, 37mm or ship guns all included.

On top of that, those kills and deaths, as well as damage done from shorebatterries a ship guns should.compile and count as a gun ship or field score, and factor into overall score.

The point is for some type of risk be involved if you want to sit in manned ack rather than up and fight.

The other.point is for anything you do in a gun to count as a score related factor.

..... starts reaching for the fat crayons...
« Last Edit: March 12, 2024, 07:53:34 PM by Lazerr »

Offline CAV

• Nickel Member
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2024, 11:21:26 AM »
What really needs to be fixed in aces high is the 8.8 itself.

The Germans didn’t have proximity fuses in World War Two. The Germans had to use timed fuses for their AA guns, a spotter for each unit would guestimate the altitude of the bombers, and the gunners using a wrench  would set their fuses for the height/range the spotter gave them. It was hit and miss. The guns would fire and the shells would explode at the height/range when the timer wore off. If the target changed course, Each round would have to be reset to include the one in the breach of the gun.

The problem with the black 88 and Aces High is that the Gunner can constantly change the range/fuse setting constantly even after the round has been loaded.

Think about a figher, it is doing 250 mph or 366 ft per second.......... But the Gunner on the 88 can sit after the round is loaded and constantly changed the fuse settings as he's tracking the target. The real gun you can't do that. If AH was still trying to be a Combat simulator and not an arcade game it wouldn't happen here neither.  In World War II any aircraft that was not flying in a straight line had very little to fear from an 8.8 time fuse.

CAV
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG301

Offline HollyWood750

• Copper Member
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2024, 01:52:52 PM »
+1 on this.

I only go after the 88s when they start firing at me.  That's too aggravating to let go uinpunished! :)

:cheers:

HW

Offline potsNpans

• Nickel Member
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2024, 08:51:45 PM »
-1, keep for attack score and objective destroyed.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2024, 07:30:20 AM »
The problem is with the guns. They are all lumped together in the program. In the game, if there is a kill, there has to be a death.... except in the guns. Thats why they are not counted towards scores/rank.

To make it work Hitech would have to pull the manned guns and 88s out of the gun group and make a new group. Add those to the score/rank setup so that if you kill a manned gun there would be a death. The un-manned guns would remain the same as they are now no kills or deaths.

Seems like a lot of work to try and "shame" players out of manning guns. Those that jump in guns now most likely feel that is their best chance of defending.

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2024, 09:41:53 AM »
What really needs to be fixed in aces high is the 8.8 itself.

The Germans didn’t have proximity fuses in World War Two. The Germans had to use timed fuses for their AA guns, a spotter for each unit would guestimate the altitude of the bombers, and the gunners using a wrench  would set their fuses for the height/range the spotter gave them. It was hit and miss. The guns would fire and the shells would explode at the height/range when the timer wore off. If the target changed course, Each round would have to be reset to include the one in the breach of the gun.

The problem with the black 88 and Aces High is that the Gunner can constantly change the range/fuse setting constantly even after the round has been loaded.

Think about a figher, it is doing 250 mph or 366 ft per second.......... But the Gunner on the 88 can sit after the round is loaded and constantly changed the fuse settings as he's tracking the target. The real gun you can't do that. If AH was still trying to be a Combat simulator and not an arcade game it wouldn't happen here neither.  In World War II any aircraft that was not flying in a straight line had very little to fear from an 8.8 time fuse.

CAV
Truth.

They also ceased fire when they were aware friendly aircraft were in the area.

The only way I see to make it a little more realistic without being gamey or overly complicated in AH is to have the icons disappear to the gunner while an aircraft is maneuvering. Something like the aircraft icons only appear to the 88 gunner when the autopilot is on. It wouldn’t stop 88 guys from trying to hit maneuvering targets but make it exponentially harder (as it should be) than it is now when an airplane is maneuvering (dogfighting). That would still give them what they need to engage bombers or peeps that are flying at a constant trajectory. Or maybe it could give icons for all bomber formations but only others inside the normal icon range for aircraft?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2024, 10:10:00 AM by LilMak »
"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke
P-47 pilot 56th Fighter Group.

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2024, 07:57:53 AM »

Yes.  Has this feature been added yet?

Thank you.
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2024, 08:06:03 AM »
I realize the developer has had some serious issues.   Just asking, are any new features going to be added to the game at this point on?

It could be outsourced to another dev for changes etc.  I guess I'm looking for a statement of direction of whether to invest in coming back to the game.

Thank you.  :salute
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2024, 09:14:23 AM »
I realize the developer has had some serious issues.   Just asking, are any new features going to be added to the game at this point on?

It could be outsourced to another dev for changes etc.  I guess I'm looking for a statement of direction of whether to invest in coming back to the game.

Thought I remember seeing a thread somewhere stating basically what you see is what you get.

While I'm not sure what your level of investment would be.. if it's only the $14.95 and your gaming time period is US primetime, it's definately still worth it.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2024, 09:19:32 AM »

My "guess" is we wont hear anything to this type of question. IF HTC would come out and say something along the lines of "We are in full maintain mode at this time with no plans to add anything new to the game" (which it what most long time players believe IS the situation) it could cause a lot of players to call it quits and move on to something else. Which of course would accelerate the end of the game (most think that once the subscriptions no longer cover the cost of keeping the servers running they will shut it down).

IF HTC was going to upgrade the game any more we would have heard something over the last few years, yes its been YEARS since any updates. I also think that if HTC was looking to out source any work they would have all ready. The same goes for the possible sale of the game. A year after COVID hit would have been a great time to sell or start a rebuild because the numbers were better with better income due to the influx of subscriptions due to being home bound for COVID. that bump is gone so the numbers dont look as good to a bank for either loans to rebuild or for another company to buy it up.

So, the game is on cruise control as it has been for the last 5 years and it looks like it will continue in the same vein until they close it down. On the other hand, its still a great game with a lot of fun to still be had by those looking for dogfights, coordinated missions both in the air and on the ground. Its all still there. Im still paying my subscription as I have for over 20 years. I hope that HTC will someday start adding stuff again, even if its just tweaking what we already have. Im not sure Id like to see it sold because that didnt work out so well the last I lived through that (Air Warriors) sometime change is too much. But I'll stick around until the end having fun and hoping someday Hitech will want to turn the burners back up and get things cooking again!