Author Topic: Aces High Ultimate Sound Pack & sound info  (Read 2487 times)

Offline flakbait

• Silver Member
      • http://www.worldaccessnet.com/~delta6
Aces High Ultimate Sound Pack & sound info
« on: March 06, 2001, 01:33:00 PM »
I'm nearly done with it. So far the total file count is 291, with fairly unique sounds for nearly everything. Total size for both self-extracting exe's is about 24 megs. Release date is up in the air, since the release date for 1.06 is up in the air. Once 1.06 is out and pretty much debugged I'll put this monster out. Then again if HTC doesn't plan on getting 1.06 out the door for a few more weeks it just gives me that much more time to tinker.   I found out several things while doing this pack and figured you sound guru's would want 'em.

1) There's a bug with the P-38's 50 cal guns. They're too loud based on distance from the pilot. With the 50 cals and the P-38 engine normalized to a fixed volume, the 50 cals drone out the P-38's engine. Set the volume 20% lower for the P-38 guns and it'll fix it.

2) Engine pitch is changed from .25 at idle to about .75 to .8 when at full power. WEP makes the engine sound run at the pitch you set it at in any sound editor. Thank Ronni for this little snippet of info!  

3) Everything that's armed with 50 cal guns uses m2_2.wav, I've yet to find anything that uses a different sound for the 50's.

4) The Fw-190's use 20mm_1 and 20mm_3 as cannon sounds

The N1K2 and Zeke use 20mm_3 and 20mm_4 as cannon sounds

The F4U-1C and Typhoon both use 20mm_1 and 20mm_2 cannon sounds

All the spitfire models use 20mm_3 and 20mm_4 cannon sounds

5) When setting cannon sounds use a variance of .014 between the two. Meaning if your 20mm_3 sound runs at 0.118 seconds either cramp 20mm_4 down to 0.104 or stretch it out to 0.132 seconds. This keeps you from getting a really weird doppler phase shift effect. You can hear this effect when you use a mono-tone sound for a twin engine aircraft and start the engines at the same time. Also known as the "attack and fade" effect. Trust me, it's best to avoid it. A .014 delay is the fastest my ear can pick out different sounds (I can harmonically tune my guitar without an amp). Run the two any closer and I'll guarantee you that you'll have trouble.

6) You can muffle a sound by adding a touch of extra bass and dropping the volume a smidge. This comes in handy if you want to create a muffled gun effect or you want to soften a rather sharp engine run. Ever listen to those crappy engine sounds and hear a very sharp prop-buzz? Use this trick to add some bass to it and muffle that sharp buzz out. Works like a charm.

BTW, I use GoldWave for my sound work. Between that and Wavestudio I can do pretty much anything. You can swipe a copy at this link:
 www.goldwave.com

-----------------------
Flakbait [Delta6]
Delta 6's Flight School
Put the P-61B in Aces High
"During the Battle of Britain the question 'fighter or fighter-bomber?'
had been decided once and for all: The fighter can only be used as a bomb carrier
with lasting effect when sufficient air superiority has been won." Adolph Galland