Author Topic: Video doorbell camera  (Read 2071 times)

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
Re: Video doorbell camera
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2023, 08:47:32 PM »
I run my own system, $30 cameras from Aliexpress, 4k/night vision/LED spotlight feature/2 way audio/PoE, all running back to a PC running BlueIris. BlueIris has built in AI support for object recognition, facial recognition, and number plate recognition.

how powerful of a cpu/gpu do you need to run and record 4k , say 6 cameras?

I 've used Blue Iris before several years ago.
Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2023, 08:46:23 AM »
Homebridge runs on a raspberry pi.   

https://homebridge.io/

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2023, 04:19:47 PM »
how powerful of a cpu/gpu do you need to run and record 4k , say 6 cameras?

I 've used Blue Iris before several years ago.

I'm running an i3-8100, no gpu (apart from the intel chipset), 16Gb of RAM. I have 6 x 4k cameras and the AI instance on the same box, it sits at around 50% utilization.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2023, 11:39:19 AM »
You don't need much computer. The catch is storage. If you store larger files and more of them.... you need more space on good drives.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2023, 11:52:22 AM »
Just make sure you actually check it if someone comes to your house at an odd hour before doing anything, rather than rushing through the front door with a weapon drawn and raised.

:police:
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2023, 01:50:00 PM »
With ring you can sign into a ring neighborhood message board where you  get all sorts of notifications from happenings around you captured by someone's ring..

They are a great security tool as are simple motion lights as the criminals prefer to slink around in the dark..

These are great https://a.co/d/6VuK8Co

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Rondar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2023, 04:49:21 PM »
Ended up getting a eufy 2k doorbell. My brother has one and day and nighttime vision looked really good. Besides, if I have trouble he can help me figure it out.
To understand true love, lock your dog and your wife in the trunk of your car for an hour and then see which one is glad to see you when you come back

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2023, 04:54:09 PM »
You don't need much computer. The catch is storage. If you store larger files and more of them.... you need more space on good drives.

Once you start using filters it changes things a lot.

First layer of filtering is motion detection. You 'paint' an area of interest that you want triggered on motion. You can tweak it like crazy, including things like object size. But, plain old motion detection still triggers a lot of falses (wind blowing trees/bushes for example). I don't alert on simple motion detection.

The second layer of filtering is using AI object recognition. Most of my cameras are set to scan for people/cats/dogs. If one of these is detected an alert is triggered (email and audible). I use different alerts depending on the zone, for example a front door alert triggers a door bell sound.

If you wanted you can also use facial recognition, so you'd only get alerts on unrecognized faces.

I only have 256Gb of storage, and I keep 7 days of video. It barely gets 5% used.

Some of my cameras also have a spotlight function, if they detect a person it turns on an LED spotlight in the camera (I use that as a deterrent function).

BlueIris operates as a web page (internal on your network). I've set it up so anyone with a PC/laptop/phone/tablet in the household as the shortcut. And in our kitchen I've setup a cheap 10" android laptop that has that camera page running 24x7. It has all 6 cameras thumbnailed, and automaximizes a specific camera on any motion detection.

There is a mobile client, but I simply use a VPN back into home on my phone to view it real time if needed.

The level of tweaking you can go to with BlueIris is nuts.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2023, 04:59:49 PM »
Ended up getting a eufy 2k doorbell. My brother has one and day and nighttime vision looked really good. Besides, if I have trouble he can help me figure it out.

Just be aware that eufy have had a terrible history of security related issues. I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. But I have some very specific risks I am concerned about, a general consumer would fine with them. For example I had to get someone further up the food-chain from me to rip out a EUFY installation, he was the Chief Security Officer for a large financial institution with government ties.

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2023, 05:09:52 PM »
Are they visible through the internet if you want to view them remotely? I have seen some camera systems where they need a static IP address to be viewed remotely through the internet
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2023, 03:59:15 PM »
I'm an IT guy, so I have a static IP, my own domain, mail server etc.

That said iirc there is a mobile app which talks to dynamic IP addresses. I've considered using it as it allows you to do 2 way audio if the cams support it (mine do).

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2023, 11:04:52 AM »
Once you start using filters it changes things a lot.

First layer of filtering is motion detection. You 'paint' an area of interest that you want triggered on motion. You can tweak it like crazy, including things like object size. But, plain old motion detection still triggers a lot of falses (wind blowing trees/bushes for example). I don't alert on simple motion detection.

The second layer of filtering is using AI object recognition. Most of my cameras are set to scan for people/cats/dogs. If one of these is detected an alert is triggered (email and audible). I use different alerts depending on the zone, for example a front door alert triggers a door bell sound.

If you wanted you can also use facial recognition, so you'd only get alerts on unrecognized faces.

I only have 256Gb of storage, and I keep 7 days of video. It barely gets 5% used.

Some of my cameras also have a spotlight function, if they detect a person it turns on an LED spotlight in the camera (I use that as a deterrent function).

BlueIris operates as a web page (internal on your network). I've set it up so anyone with a PC/laptop/phone/tablet in the household as the shortcut. And in our kitchen I've setup a cheap 10" android laptop that has that camera page running 24x7. It has all 6 cameras thumbnailed, and automaximizes a specific camera on any motion detection.

There is a mobile client, but I simply use a VPN back into home on my phone to view it real time if needed.

The level of tweaking you can go to with BlueIris is nuts.

can you tell me what kind of PC specs run a your system? I'm getting sick of cheap, garbage NVRs failing.
Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2023, 11:36:14 AM »
Some devices support Dynamic DNS and some that don't provide for that will still work with it. Several free DDNS services.

If your device doesn't have a setting for that you just need to install the DDNS client for that specific service on a PC. It will update the IP at the DDNS host and the camera can still be accessed via the url.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2023, 11:39:11 AM by AKIron »
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2023, 11:40:54 AM »
Of course you'll need to do a port mapping on your router if the camera/device is behind a firewall.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2023, 06:42:16 PM »

can you tell me what kind of PC specs run a your system? I'm getting sick of cheap, garbage NVRs failing.

I answered that further up. Just be aware I don't run my system like an NVR (see my posts above).