Author Topic: Active Players  (Read 8373 times)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Re: Active Players
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2023, 07:18:11 AM »
My guess is most spend more than $15 a month on those "free" games purchasing power ups, coins, whatever to move quickly up in the game..

I don't think it is the money but the time needed to spend in AH to get good at it.

This generation doesn't have the patience..they want it all now without having to put in any time to actually earn/learn it

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2023, 07:41:46 AM »
Guess you never heard of fortnite?  :bolt:

Oh is that his game? Maybe try reading comprehension.

You should know it is far from free. The makers of the game sell in game cheats. If you don't buy, you have little chance.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2023, 07:47:14 AM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2023, 10:58:34 AM »
120 at 9pm est in ma last night when I logged..

Great for US based players. But with the overall decline of numbers, all those outside the US are quite screwed now. EU primetime numbers are now between 30 and 40 pilots, during our daytime (late night in the US) the game often basically stops. It's getting big EW arena vibes, in a bad way.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline DonWayne

• Zinc Member
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2023, 11:20:40 AM »
120 at 9pm est in ma last night when I logged..

Plenty of hordes to fight as a rook..auto assigned..had knits and bish attacking them in droves and not each other..

Definitely worth the $15 a month...what is that? One starbuck coffee and danish?

Choices

Eagler

For people like us $15 is no big deal, we enjoy the game and gladly pay. However somebody who stumbles across this game for the first time wouldnt want to pay the $15 a month to play a 20 year old game, when you can hop on war thunder for free.

Half of you guys are old enough to be my dad and the other half my grandfather, from a younger person's perspective this game is ancient so it would take something special to attract new players. I was born in 98, some of yall have been playing longer than I've been able to read.

Regardless I love the game and I enjoy playing with a dedicated player base.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2023, 11:24:22 AM by DonWayne »
-SKY HEIFERS-

Offline knorB

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2023, 11:32:15 AM »

For people like us $15 is no big deal, we enjoy the game and gladly pay. However somebody who stumbles across this game for the first time wouldnt want to pay the $15 a month to play a 20 year old game, when you can hop on war thunder for free.

Half of you guys are old enough to be my dad and the other half my grandfather, from a younger person's perspective this game is ancient so it would take something special to attract new players. I was born in 98, some of yall have been playing longer than I've been able to read.

Regardless I love the game and I enjoy playing with a dedicated player base.

I'm not sure how to switch to microtransactions the way the game is designed now.

Offline DonWayne

• Zinc Member
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2023, 11:47:02 AM »
I'm not sure how to switch to microtransactions the way the game is designed now.

Drop the subscription, make it free to play, add a PayPal link
-SKY HEIFERS-

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2023, 12:08:54 PM »

That would never work. How many folks would actually tip, when there's absolute no necessity to do so? And how much would they tip in the first place? I very much doubt even the most basic costs of infrastructure would be covered by this, not to speak of any potential future development.

The begging approach will never work with such a game, and as pointed out before, it's not made for any 'microtransaction' stuff either.

Offline DonWayne

• Zinc Member
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2023, 12:15:30 PM »
That would never work. How many folks would actually tip, when there's absolute no necessity to do so? And how much would they tip in the first place? I very much doubt even the most basic costs of infrastructure would be covered by this, not to speak of any potential future development.

The begging approach will never work with such a game, and as pointed out before, it's not made for any 'microtransaction' stuff either.

I think you'd be surprised how many people donate. It was just an idea, I'm sure you're right, it probably wouldn't work. Just thinking of ways to attract new players is all, is the free trial still a thing???
-SKY HEIFERS-

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2023, 12:21:48 PM »
is the free trial still a thing???

Yes.
But when AH launched on steam, we had many thousands of players trying the game. Almost no one subscribed after trial period.

Offline DonWayne

• Zinc Member
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2023, 12:39:17 PM »

But when AH launched on steam, we had many thousands of players trying the game. Almost no one subscribed after trial period.

Well that kinda points out our problem then...
-SKY HEIFERS-

Offline knorB

• Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2023, 12:47:16 PM »

Free to play games have a pay to play aspect,  faster leveling, unique items etc.

This game is not set up for such a thing. No one is going to donate for something that they get access to everything in game already.

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2023, 12:47:47 PM »

Yes.

Like 40,000 in 90 days or something like that.  HT said he had "around" 1% conversion rate.  Which might be below 1% depending on rounding up or down.

Fanbois will claim that Steam is just a bunch of twitch kiddies not flight sim fans.  That is a large percentage.  But millions of dollars of IL2 are sold through Steam.  Tens of thousands of DCS players are introduced through steam.  There are tens of thousands of serious flight sim fans on Steam.  If the product clicked with the audience, you would have gotten more than ~1% conversion. 

That's why it is pointless to "just buy tv ads".  You first need to improve your conversion rate on your normal organic traffic.  If you don't do that, spending money on tv ads is just whizzing in the wind.  HT would love to pour many into ads once he figures out haw to achieve 10% conversion.  Until he can figure out what he needs to improve to achieve a reasonable conversion rate, it is just burning money pointlessly.  You will just advertise your way into bankruptcy.

So players can make videos, and tell their friends, go to airshows and hand out t-shirts and bumpers stickers until they drop and it won't help much.  Once eyes are on product, it is losing to the competition.

The other tactic is to just not worry about that.  If the current player count is enough to keep the lights on, just manage the tail end of the life cycle and keep it stable and breaking bugs fixed and don't risk tipping the boat with new development.  It's sad to see AH move into that phase of its life cycle, but it is a rational decision.  For us its a game, for HT it's his livelihood.

It's not about getting back to 600 players again.  It's about extending the current glide slope for as long as possible.  Fair enough.

[Edit]  Correct me if I'm wrong, Lusche, but it seems to me the player loss rate has flattened noticeably the last couple of years.  I think it is down to the durable lifers.  They'll probably stay until they drop without a single new line of code.  You just have to ignore the occasional whining. ;)

« Last Edit: September 13, 2023, 12:52:51 PM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline knorB

• Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2023, 01:40:04 PM »
Like 40,000 in 90 days or something like that.  HT said he had "around" 1% conversion rate.  Which might be below 1% depending on rounding up or down.

Fanbois will claim that Steam is just a bunch of twitch kiddies not flight sim fans.  That is a large percentage.  But millions of dollars of IL2 are sold through Steam.  Tens of thousands of DCS players are introduced through steam.  There are tens of thousands of serious flight sim fans on Steam.  If the product clicked with the audience, you would have gotten more than ~1% conversion. 

That's why it is pointless to "just buy tv ads".  You first need to improve your conversion rate on your normal organic traffic.  If you don't do that, spending money on tv ads is just whizzing in the wind.  HT would love to pour many into ads once he figures out haw to achieve 10% conversion.  Until he can figure out what he needs to improve to achieve a reasonable conversion rate, it is just burning money pointlessly.  You will just advertise your way into bankruptcy.

So players can make videos, and tell their friends, go to airshows and hand out t-shirts and bumpers stickers until they drop and it won't help much.  Once eyes are on product, it is losing to the competition.

The other tactic is to just not worry about that.  If the current player count is enough to keep the lights on, just manage the tail end of the life cycle and keep it stable and breaking bugs fixed and don't risk tipping the boat with new development.  It's sad to see AH move into that phase of its life cycle, but it is a rational decision.  For us its a game, for HT it's his livelihood.

It's not about getting back to 600 players again.  It's about extending the current glide slope for as long as possible.  Fair enough.

[Edit]  Correct me if I'm wrong, Lusche, but it seems to me the player loss rate has flattened noticeably the last couple of years.  I think it is down to the durable lifers.  They'll probably stay until they drop without a single new line of code.  You just have to ignore the occasional whining. ;)

Sadly this is about spot on. 

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2023, 02:34:50 PM »
for what its worth, on euro times things are pretty bleak. 9pm EST is 3am here so we're slowly dying out here.

Offline Simon

• Nickel Member
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2023, 03:08:59 PM »
I'm finding the same thing at 6/7pm Eastern US. I gave up flying weekend mornings a while ago since there wasn't enough action, and I'm finding the same thing happening now in the early evenings. This tour has been brutally quiet on the Knights side so far. Hopefully it's just a September thing and the cold weather coming will bump the numbers back up a bit.