Author Topic: After the battle  (Read 381 times)

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
After the battle
« on: September 15, 2023, 08:13:24 AM »
For the last 150 or so years, those that died in battle were buried in designated cemeteries.

What happened to the 10s of 1000s who died in battle in ancient times.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Re: After the battle
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2023, 09:16:11 AM »
I imagine most were left to rot where they fell

Heck they find ww1 soldiers in the fields/trenches where they fell to this day..

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Chris79

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2023, 11:14:48 AM »
There bodies were typically plundered for valuables, and their bodies either left for the vultures, or dumped into a pit. Vultures have to eat same as the worm.

Chuikov

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2023, 12:01:08 PM »
Vultures have to eat same as the worm.

You beat me too it.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2023, 03:00:57 PM »
Let's have a party! Looks like knit base during morning shift of bish.

The Mad   CatMan!

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2023, 03:06:34 PM »
Fertilizer
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline sparky127

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2023, 06:40:06 AM »
There bodies were typically plundered for valuables, and their bodies either left for the vultures, or dumped into a pit. Vultures have to eat same as the worm.

Their. THEIR bodies were plundered.

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2023, 07:59:36 AM »
Google says..

Historical records give us some further idea about what might have happened to battlefield bodies. Many corpses left on the battlefield would, of course, be buried. Christopher Daniell’s book Death and Burial in Medieval England, 1066-1550 indicates that in the Middle Ages, people preferred to bury bodies in consecrated ground. This would not always have been possible after a battle, but nevertheless, mass graves were sometimes dug to bury battlefield corpses. Several such mass graves have been discovered. You can read about one on page 138 of Daniell’s book.

Bodies would also be left to rot on the battlefield. Daniell says that it “was very rare for a person not to be buried” but that one major exception was when bodies were left to rot on battlefields. If the battle was very large or if the winning side wanted to disrespect the bodies of the fallen enemy, they would simply leave them to rot. This could also happen during a siege as Daniell suggests; he gives one example where during the Agincourt campaign bodies were left to rot in the streets of Harfleur.

Bodies on battlefields might also be burnt. William of Malmesbury reports one instance when during a crusade the bodies of the fallen were piled up and burnt for fear of disease spreading. According to Daniell this was rare, and there was not often a connection made between the spread of disease and rotting corpses.
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2023, 07:22:14 PM »
Not all who died were looted, and we can lean lot of those who weren't.

https://www.ancient-origins.net/history/battle-visby-0010218

My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera