Author Topic: My Last Kill in Aces High III  (Read 3037 times)

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
Re: My Last Kill in Aces High III
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2023, 08:04:44 AM »
Farewell Lusche! You've always been a fun adversary and an officer & gentleman.  :salute

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
Re: My Last Kill in Aces High IIII
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2023, 04:56:07 AM »
:salute

Bomber pilots will be relieved

Ha!  A TRUE bomber pilot will not be relieved, he will be sad for such a worthy opponent to take his leave.  :aok
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
Re: My Last Kill in Aces High IIII
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2023, 12:34:35 PM »
Ha!  A TRUE bomber pilot will not be relieved, he will be sad for such a worthy opponent to take his leave.  :aok

:rock
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2023, 01:23:47 PM »
But after "only" 32 buttons, E:D wouldn't recognize #33.... So next step is vJoy/Joystick Gremlin to map the rest.

Puzzling how a modern sim game with so insanely many functions to map runs into a hardcoded 32 button limit  :bhead

What I thought you were claiming was that you had a 500 kill-to-death.

Against the B-29 that would have been amazing, but the reality is far from it  :D

Actually, I don't even have a 500-1 k/d against the C-47...

You don't have to leave! I only play between 4-10 hours a month when I can log in a see a good fight to partake in. While I realize you are probably 6 hours ahead. You may still be able to find some action randomly if you just log in and check the map gameplay. That's what I do. If I see a good fight, I'll roll, if not, may jump into another game for a bit. You've played 42 hours this month with over 250 kills, compared to my 8 with 85 kills. Heck I did really well last month with only 4 hours played. So I feel you are finding some action. I don't see why you should quit all together, especially with the #s picking up going into winter.

The overwhelming majority of those kills were made past midnight, often even past 2 am.

And for watching the map for occasional action during off hours...  I have done that for years. It's just immensely frustrating, especially as I'm looking for battles, not just a fight. Battles and 'strategic gameplay' was what kept me in AH past the initial dogfighting phase, and this is the aspect which IMHO has suffered the most.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2023, 01:52:52 PM »

The overwhelming majority of those kills were made past midnight, often even past 2 am.

And for watching the map for occasional action during off hours...  I have done that for years. It's just immensely frustrating, especially as I'm looking for battles, not just a fight. Battles and 'strategic gameplay' was what kept me in AH past the initial dogfighting phase, and this is the aspect which IMHO has suffered the most.

Yeah, I hear that. I am very similar in the since that I don't normally roll unless i have the potential of atleast 3 kills. I feel that the smaller maps like last night really do bring some good battles, however I find that there ain't enough players to really attack hoards when being hit from both sides. Bish were hoarding heavy last night and the rooks didn't do much to defend. I think a couple of BT guys and a few others tried, but the bish were steam rolling bases with no opposition. This was quite disappointing. I was left flying at 22k for 35 minutes seething at the teeth for a kill. I don't know what it is, it seems when sides gain a movement towards one side, it's very hard to bring that movement to the other side to defend/attack when needed. There could have been an absolutely huge battle last night between all 3 sides, but knights and rooks wanted to fight down south and bish were steam rolling rooks. What can you do...
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline molybdenum

• Nickel Member
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2023, 08:30:12 PM »
Not to mean this in a bad way at all, snailman, but I will be glad if you are gone for good. I have always respected you as a person and as an opponent, but when you were on, part of my repertoire (strat runs) became unavailable. Why spend an hour+ grabbing alt and getting to target when I knew you'd likely be waiting in the 163 it took you 3min to reach alt with?

I killed your 163  once or twice (I think, reaching back to AH2 here) but the very fact of your presence on whatever country I wanted to hit stopped me from doing what I like most.

HT has made adjustments based on dwindling numbers off and on during ah3. GV darbar, etc. It might be time to limit 163s to a very few maps? Their presence really spoils the fun of dedicated strat runner types.

Time spent on game matters. I won't cancel if 163s don't go away, but the game will be less interesting to me and ppl like me as the skillset continues to sharpen towards the 163 ilk.

Comments?

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2023, 12:01:38 AM »
Comments?

Yes.  Fly bombers in scenarios.  It's a whole new dimension of fun.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2023, 07:32:12 AM »
Never knew any dedicated strat runners in AH.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2023, 09:18:54 AM »

We were out there, trust me.  :D
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2023, 10:55:08 AM »
Comments?

I may just resub and fly 163s exclusively
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2023, 11:29:37 AM »
I may just resub and fly 163s exclusively
My thoughts exactly...
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2023, 01:17:25 AM »
Lusche is just another player who enjoyed air combat leaving because of game changes that have negatively affected game play, in particular air combat.

Nobody needs situational awareness (SA) anymore because of the magic radar icons Lusche is referring to.  There is actually MORE hoarding now as a result.  Players will generally fly to where they are safer and now it's easy to see where you outnumber the enemy, even over enemy bases.  Even worse, there is no risk of being bounced anymore because the icons act as an early warning radar system.

You also have even more players in invisible GVs hiding in trees now.  In the slower hours, I've logged in and seen ALL the players in GVs and not a single darbar visible from someone "in flight".

I'm with Lusche on this.  These game designs have hurt the game, not helped it.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2023, 01:20:53 AM by Kingpin »
Quote from: bozon
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2023, 07:52:05 AM »

You're teasing, right? APP75 has been hitting strats, 8 hrs @ day, 5 days @ week for the last 20 years  :old:

Offline Bushmills

• Copper Member
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2023, 04:15:00 PM »
I'm with Lusche on this.  These game designs have hurt the game, not helped it.

I'll take a guess and say too high a proportion of the player base are too be frank, boring. Not HTs fault.

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2023, 09:07:01 PM »
I'll take a guess and say too high a proportion of the player base are too be frank, boring. Not HTs fault.

I don't think anyone joins a game wanting to be bored or expecting boring gameplay.

Blaming players for boring game play is like blaming diners for bad service in a restaurant. They might impact it, but they aren't the ones responsible for making it better.
Quote from: bozon
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.