Author Topic: SHOW me another game..!  (Read 6571 times)

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
Re: SHOW me another game..!
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2023, 09:10:07 PM »
I flew with Morpheus (he was flying under a different name) in the early 2000's with the 444th Air Mafia. He's been around for a while. As Oldman said he has been away from AH for some time.

:salute
Sik

Jeffer! :rock :airplane:

WOW so loooong ago! Back when we'd get stuck on Pizza or Trinity!
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2023, 10:06:27 AM »
Once Mafia, always Mafia.  :cool:

:cheers:
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2023, 12:00:59 PM »
<SMH>
Master of the Air Scenario Video
https://youtu.be/rQiA2yMiZf0?si=QZEvHGf1Le0YlaHf

Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP[/

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2023, 03:12:01 PM »
WarBirds was something like that, long time ago. Made good friends, had fun. Nowadays it's either almost empty when logging in or one gets immediately verbal insults from certain, mentally perhaps not so stable players.

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2023, 03:43:45 PM »
I gotta say, between 2008 and 2015 when I racked up huge hours of game time, I have never seen this guy fly.
One in my position would easily come to the conclusion that the delusional and unstable fantasist Animl had got another account under his control? :neener:

I assure you, he is very real. I have flown with and against him. I remember his horrific accident, and the aftermath.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2023, 05:11:14 PM »
Once Mafia, always Mafia.  :cool:

:cheers:

You bet!!!!

Offline CAV

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2023, 06:53:28 PM »

Don't blame me...........    he asked
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG301

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2023, 08:01:24 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

Neither have anywhere near the strategic depth AH has, not by a long shot.  :)
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2023, 08:54:59 PM »

We are running The Stalingrad of the North in October.  Come join the fun that no other air sim than Aces High has:  scenarios.  :aok

More details:
https://ahevents.net/index.php/events/scenarios/current-or-next-scenario

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2023, 08:25:08 AM »
These kinds of scenarios hands down make AH the best WW2 flight sim. No other game brings this kind of realism and war strategy of actual battles that happened in history. These fights are extremely thrilling.  :airplane: :joystick:
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Tracerfi

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2023, 11:34:45 AM »
Neither have anywhere near the strategic depth AH has, not by a long shot.  :)
WWII Online has a lot more depth, I have played AH for over 10 years and WWII Online for the past year or two on and off. I still love this game but
I am not going attack this game like some people do I wanted to have my say in here
You cannot beat savages by becoming one.

He who must not be named

Online Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2023, 11:46:52 AM »
WWII Online has a lot more depth, I have played AH for over 10 years and WWII Online for the past year or two on and off. I still love this game but
I am not going attack this game like some people do I wanted to have my say in here

I never played any of these other games so my objectiveness is a bit skewed. Was just reading the WWII 2023 roadmap and it seems at least like they are committed to keep building. Did they achieve it now that’s 2023 is almost over.

Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline Tracerfi

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2023, 11:58:49 AM »
I never played any of these other games so my objectiveness is a bit skewed. Was just reading the WWII 2023 roadmap and it seems at least like they are committed to keep building. Did they achieve it now that’s 2023 is almost over.
I haven't looked at the roadmap much but they have added a lot of things that were needed like voice comms and upgrading the 3D models of some old assets and stuff like and they are trying to port it to a new game engine they say they can do its just the fact of how long it takes them. I love the premise of WWII Online but Aces High is still better in a few ways just not much on the strategic side of things in my opinion
You cannot beat savages by becoming one.

He who must not be named

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2023, 12:39:50 PM »

I've played WWIIOL.  It's interesting, and a different game.

However, they have nothing like Scenarios.  Nothing but Aces High has scenarios.

Scenarios are to normal online play what normal online play is to single player.

My extended thoughts about WWIIOL from a while back:

I've played WWII Online and still have a subscription (I like the infantry, ship, and armor aspects).  For flying aircraft, though, I greatly prefer Aces High.  They are very different games. 

WWIIOL is half-scale Europe as the map, early-war.  It is intended to encompass all forms of WWII activity -- infantry, vehicles, mobile guns, trucks, tanks, artillery, ships, and aircraft -- and geared toward the whole war effort, including working on supply of bases and building rank by succeeding in missions.

You don't get to fly what you want.  At first, you don't even get to fly bombers or any of the better fighters until you succeed in enough missions in the lower-end couple of fighters (Hurri I and Curtis Hawk on the allied side).  You might not even be able to fly anything if there aren't any missions posted with aircraft available or if all the aircraft have been used up.

If you do fly, in my experience, it is pretty sparse fighting, typically at altitudes even lower than in Aces High.  They have nice clouds and landscapes.  The flight model is decent.

The bad points for me are as follows.  First, visibility just blows in WWIIOL.  With clouds, haze (even the little that is there on clear days), inability to see your 6 position, inability to move your head location, the way they do identity of enemy aircraft (range at which you can ID and the way you lose ID and marking on the aircraft if you chance views even if in order to keep the enemy in view), I have a very, very hard time keeping things in view even in close-in fighting.  I hated that aspect.  Second, when you start out, you can't fly anything but the slowest fighters (Hurri and Hawk).  Since it's impossible to see behind you, being the slowest guy out there is a huge handicap.  You can't even fly bombers until you go up in rank.  So, your early flight experiences are a lot of just trying to see behind you and evading lots of attacks of faster aircraft running you down.   Third, there aren't a lot of planes around.  I think the biggest fight I got in involved about 5 friendlies and 5 enemies.  That happend once in about 20-40 hours of on-line flying for me.  The rest of the time was 1-2, 2-1, 1-1 action.

Now before the WWIIOL people jump on me about the above, saying "But that's all more realistic," let me say that my dislike of it isn't that it's more realistic, it's that they pull of the realistic aspect poorly, making it less realistic.  First, I don't mind bad visibility if that is realistic.  But it's just not that hard to keep a plane in view in a close-in dogfight in reasonably clear weather in real aircraft in my experience.  Their flaw is in the way the aircraft ID disappears if you view shift, even if it is to keep the plane in view and in that you can't move your head at all even to get some better glimpse behind you -- maybe not dead 6, but a little.  If they want to be that realistic, then they should let you move your head, loosen your harness, have a rear-view mirror, or all of those things.  Second, it sucks not getting to fly anything but the slowest fighters for a long time at the start -- not even any divebombers or level bombers or having rockets or anything that would make you useful in hitting stuff on the ground in a game that is (rightly) much more populated on the ground.  Third, well, compared to the skies of Aces High, it's sort of boring in the WWIIOL skies.  Yes, that is more realistic.

If you want more action and the ability to fly what you want, partipate in ground attack, base capture, etc., Aces High's main arena gives you that and WWIIOL doesn't.  If you want lots of realism (and still exciting action), Aces High scenarios give you a much more realistic and involved environment than WWIIOL ever will.

Online Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2023, 02:06:54 PM »
Thanks for the info Brooke. A lifetime has happened since 2005. I wonder how the game has evolved based on your summary.
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!