Author Topic: Where did all the...  (Read 1086 times)

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
Where did all the...
« on: September 28, 2023, 06:49:55 AM »
Groovy music go?

Modern music is utter garbage. :old:
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Where did all the...
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2023, 09:31:31 AM »

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2023, 11:29:45 AM »
can anyone stomach "free" jazz?

lol

Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2023, 12:16:19 PM »
can anyone stomach "free" jazz?

lol

For about 20 sec.

With pain management training I could probably make 1 min.

Reminds me of:

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2023, 01:47:27 PM »
LOL.

That free jazz thing is like 37 minutes long!

I wonder how they decide or know when it's supposed to end? like '' hey, this sounds like a cool way to end the song"??

Of maybe they just play until someone has to take a dump or something

:rock

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2023, 02:13:36 PM »
Deelite was a classic, but that Jazz... Ooooff that hurts.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2023, 03:34:55 AM »

« Last Edit: September 30, 2023, 03:40:32 AM by Brooke »

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2023, 03:44:32 AM »
Oh, and can't forget this one:

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2023, 05:21:22 AM »
Oh, and can't forget this one:

Good music was lost to sampling (started on MTV in the 80s), pro-tools gate to the skilless drove another nail in the coffin
Players like Joe Bonamassa (rockin blues) will never hit the charts these days. The ashes of MTV destruction of talent. Thats when the rich stuff took a hit. Our era is dying off, and they are taking the talent with them. Dynamics is long gone, except for reunion tours. New bad music makes that possible. Everyone who made the stuff you posted are in their late 60s-late 70s. I quit mixing when this new stuff came along, but will take old skewl bands, which is rate now.

I’ll never forgive MTV. Video killed the radio star.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2023, 05:25:24 AM by Animl-AW »
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2023, 09:02:29 AM »
Very glad I have the 60's and 70's and some 80's to listen to as most after that is just noise

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2023, 11:24:29 AM »
Most of the stuff I like best is in the 50's to the 90's, with the peak being 60's through 80's.

I like a wide assortment, but I tend not to like country, rap, modern jazz, or mariachi.  Or any of the chart-topping stuff after about 2000.

If it's newer than about 2000 or 2010, it's likely electronic for me, but such stuff doesn't appeal to most folks who like 60's to 80's music, like this:

« Last Edit: September 30, 2023, 11:32:47 AM by Brooke »

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2023, 11:39:01 AM »
Here's some electronica AH folks might like (along with the video).  :aok

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2023, 11:57:49 AM »
Good music was lost to sampling (started on MTV in the 80s), pro-tools gate to the skilless drove another nail in the coffin
Players like Joe Bonamassa (rockin blues) will never hit the charts these days. The ashes of MTV destruction of talent. Thats when the rich stuff took a hit. Our era is dying off, and they are taking the talent with them. Dynamics is long gone, except for reunion tours. New bad music makes that possible. Everyone who made the stuff you posted are in their late 60s-late 70s. I quit mixing when this new stuff came along, but will take old skewl bands, which is rate now.

I’ll never forgive MTV. Video killed the radio star.

I don't think any of that it even remotely true.

"good music" was not lost to anything, let alone sampling. Some rap is based on sampled riffs, but most music has nothing to do with sampling. Seems like you're thinking it's 1988 still.

MTV has had almost nothing to do with music for 30 years.

Pro Tools is is a recording format. A way to record sound. It's a tool, just like tape machines and mixers are.

Dynamics ae not gone either. A lot of pop music is mixed loud, but there is also a lot of music with big dynamic range. Modern recording and playback allows for MUCH higher fidelity now too. Lower noise floor and lower and higher frequencies.

I'd be interested in hearing something you actually mixed.

I'm a musician, singer, songwriter and I mix and produce songs. I've been doing it since the the late 80s. About to release an album soon.
Every single thing I can think of is BETTER now in regards to producing music.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2023, 12:04:42 PM by -gg- »

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2023, 12:47:16 PM »
I don't think any of that it even remotely true.

"good music" was not lost to anything, let alone sampling. Some rap is based on sampled riffs, but most music has nothing to do with sampling. Seems like you're thinking it's 1988 still.

MTV has had almost nothing to do with music for 30 years.

Pro Tools is is a recording format. A way to record sound. It's a tool, just like tape machines and mixers are.

Dynamics ae not gone either. A lot of pop music is mixed loud, but there is also a lot of music with big dynamic range. Modern recording and playback allows for MUCH higher fidelity now too. Lower noise floor and lower and higher frequencies.

I'd be interested in hearing something you actually mixed.

I'm a musician, singer, songwriter and I mix and produce songs. I've been doing it since the the late 80s. About to release an album soon.
Every single thing I can think of is BETTER now in regards to producing music.

I stand by my words.

Dynamics means levels fluctuate.
Ya i did the 80s metal stuff. Wasn’t much mixing, except lead gtr parts.

MTV created New Wave, moved from classic rock, they kinda ignored R&B. It did start nonsense. Electric drums, samplers, etc. i lived it, I know.

I mix live, not studio
Us live engineers call some of the new stuff flat line mix, set everything at 0, clamp the compressors, set back and yawn.

Now of course that depends on your genre. But even country does it now. FOH for Jason Aldean used 200 plugins, 6-9 compressors just on his vocal.  Theres a yt vid.

If you started mixing in the 80s you’ve probably retained the true art of dynamics. So this may not apply to you. 90s were OK, digital samplers and software emerged, thing went sound IN THE WRONG HANDS.

If you’re strictly studio, we will prolly think differently on concepts. Live i have 1-3 seconds to decide, you can have a week if you like. As a ME, its all about the adrenaline to me (and the band) uncork the bottle.

I’m a monitor engineer. FOH bores me. With AF i ran 22 monitor mixes.  You won’t hear my mixes unless you are on stage with me with a band. Audience usually don’t hear monitors, although I am known for thumping the stage with high volume, FOH basically mixes around me…. At times, depending. Most used analog consoles; Midas Heritage 3000. 48 ch. (sometimes 2), Soundcraft MH4 48 ch.

I’m not going to debate, its my experienced opinion.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2023, 01:00:08 PM by Animl-AW »
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2023, 01:04:28 PM »
Most of the stuff I like best is in the 50's to the 90's, with the peak being 60's through 80's.

I like a wide assortment, but I tend not to like country, rap, modern jazz, or mariachi.  Or any of the chart-topping stuff after about 2000.

If it's newer than about 2000 or 2010, it's likely electronic for me, but such stuff doesn't appeal to most folks who like 60's to 80's music
I'm in the same boat, sort of, but my peak is in the fifties. You know, "Sunday Monday Happy Days..." with some great stuff in the earlier decades as well. Autotuned voice with the ascending uh-oh is not for me.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni