Author Topic: Where did all the...  (Read 1087 times)

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
Re: Where did all the...
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2023, 07:19:46 PM »
Very glad I have the 60's and 70's and some 80's to listen to as most after that is just noise

Eagler

Agreed. every decade has some that was better the rest, but IMO, the 70s was epic. It's the path of contemporary, what we like and what really sells is not always the same thing.
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2023, 07:22:08 PM »
I'm in the same boat, sort of, but my peak is in the fifties. You know, "Sunday Monday Happy Days..." with some great stuff in the earlier decades as well. Autotuned voice with the ascending uh-oh is not for me.

I never got into sock hop,...but I did a few Shanana shows,.... just not my cup of tea. Did it for the money. I'm an old skewl rocker,..and progressive rock
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2023, 07:45:39 PM »
I don't think any of that it even remotely true.

"good music" was not lost to anything, let alone sampling. Some rap is based on sampled riffs, but most music has nothing to do with sampling. Seems like you're thinking it's 1988 still.

MTV has had almost nothing to do with music for 30 years.

Pro Tools is is a recording format. A way to record sound. It's a tool, just like tape machines and mixers are.

Dynamics ae not gone either. A lot of pop music is mixed loud, but there is also a lot of music with big dynamic range. Modern recording and playback allows for MUCH higher fidelity now too. Lower noise floor and lower and higher frequencies.

I'd be interested in hearing something you actually mixed.

I'm a musician, singer, songwriter and I mix and produce songs. I've been doing it since the the late 80s. About to release an album soon.
Every single thing I can think of is BETTER now in regards to producing music.

Ed Sheeran is a great example of someone who made his career on sampling,... and most of the stuff in that genre. I guess you are right, connoisseurs retained the stuff they enjoyed during the new stuff coming out, as did I. Bands like Genesis had dynamics. Buddy Guy plays extreme dynamics. If you're mixing with dynamics kudos to you. Sampling is long past new wave and rap and into contemporary. I'm going to a bar now that play that stuff, makes me crazy. Sampling is alive and well :(

We could get into a debate about digital and analog quality. One is cleaner, one is warmer. In digital, what was outboard gear is now inboard gear and not quite to up analog standard. I have to layer compressors in digital to not be detected. 3:1> 5:1 > 7:1. Give me a real nice tube compressor and I'm golden.

That said, for recording I think digital is the way to go. Just remember, what you create in the studio we have to duplicate live. Digital in Live is pretty much turn-key these days. FOH cool, I hate digital for monitor wedges (depending on the console), too much paging and taking eye off the artist. I lost interest during mixing Moody Blues, when every instrument went direct into the system, no amps, and In-Ear Monitors,..all you heard was drums on stage, I decide if that's the path we're going, count me out.
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks

Offline sparky127

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2023, 09:11:36 PM »
« Last Edit: September 30, 2023, 09:14:43 PM by sparky127 »

Offline sparky127

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2023, 09:15:40 PM »
1959 was a great year for jazz.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2023, 11:04:03 PM »
1959 was a great year for jazz.

Take five is a great one.  :aok

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2023, 03:02:04 AM »
 Sampling is when somebody uses an actual recorded section of a song and puts it into another song. I don't think that happens today very often.

I don't think Ed Sheeran has sampled anything that I'm aware of.

I can't think of anything that I know of in modern music that's sampled. I'm sure there is but it's got to be pretty rare.

Melodies get reused. Usually unintentionally. Like Ed Sheeran's melody that is similar to TLC scrubs.. I personally don't see it as any kind of a rip off, but nowadays lawsuits are ridiculous.

All music is based on other music. There are only so many chords, and really only three or four chords that get used for everything.

People's influences come up in their music and they might not even realize it. That's the way music  has always been though. Or at least popular music.

There's a lot of good music out today.

Back in the day you needed the blessing of a major studio or record company in order to really record anything well. You needed either a lot of money or somebody to front you a lot of money.

Today people can make albums in their bedrooms. And they do. Professional level equipment is now super affordable and can sit on a laptop computer. It's amazing.

I remember in that '80s when digital recording was just starting to come around. I was thinking wow I can't wait until hard drives are big enough to be able to record digitally.

I think this is a really great time for music.
Of course when you put these tools into everybody's hands and couple that with the internet, you get a lot of crap too. But I think that's cool. Because who am I to say really what is crap or not? I mean obviously some people don't really have talent. Lol. But I think it's cool that anybody who really wants to can release music or publish videos or anything really.

There's not really any gatekeepers anymore that prevent people from being able to get their music distributed.

Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2023, 10:40:47 AM »
Sampling is when somebody uses an actual recorded section of a song and puts it into another song. I don't think that happens today very often.

I don't think Ed Sheeran has sampled anything that I'm aware of.

I can't think of anything that I know of in modern music that's sampled. I'm sure there is but it's got to be pretty rare.

Melodies get reused. Usually unintentionally. Like Ed Sheeran's melody that is similar to TLC scrubs.. I personally don't see it as any kind of a rip off, but nowadays lawsuits are ridiculous.

All music is based on other music. There are only so many chords, and really only three or four chords that get used for everything.

People's influences come up in their music and they might not even realize it. That's the way music  has always been though. Or at least popular music.

There's a lot of good music out today.

Back in the day you needed the blessing of a major studio or record company in order to really record anything well. You needed either a lot of money or somebody to front you a lot of money.

Today people can make albums in their bedrooms. And they do. Professional level equipment is now super affordable and can sit on a laptop computer. It's amazing.

I remember in that '80s when digital recording was just starting to come around. I was thinking wow I can't wait until hard drives are big enough to be able to record digitally.

I think this is a really great time for music.
Of course when you put these tools into everybody's hands and couple that with the internet, you get a lot of crap too. But I think that's cool. Because who am I to say really what is crap or not? I mean obviously some people don't really have talent. Lol. But I think it's cool that anybody who really wants to can release music or publish videos or anything really.

There's not really any gatekeepers anymore that prevent people from being able to get their music distributed.

I agree with everything but sampling. Its not just sampling  other so gs, its just more obvious, songs, its the sampling of  anything. Go back to Sheeans first days on stage. He would sample gtr rhythms and loop them until he had a whole band, strictly looping samples. He was good st it.

There is good music other there. But like eras gone by contemporary music got most play and overshadows much better stuff. In the 70s, I was almost burned out on Zepplin, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, long before they finally got air play. Why I brought up Bonamassa, a hidden prodigy monster gtr player. I did a cpl shows with him, had no idea who he was. The sound company told me they had a gift for me, and sent me out to do him. I was in aww the entire show, just stunned by skill, its hard to impress me, he did it. It was a gift. But his stuff won’t hit mainstream. Some of his stuff is dark. Live version of “Dislocated Boy” is a great vid. Yet, he sells out almost every show. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uYtZtwVMLPY

I will say this. When the female artist dance acts came out, the first time I had to play vocal track, it pissed me off. Thats not what ppl pay high prices for. So, I’m about authentic talent, so now days I swim up stream disappointed. Kinda killed my enthusiasm a bit. I guess I’m too old skewl for modern music, prolly what our parents said too.

I’m doing corporate/industrial stuff now. They pay me much more to not do concerts.

Regardless, lots to be said, good cognitive convo. Best of luck on your recordings.

PEACE
« Last Edit: October 01, 2023, 10:47:47 AM by Animl-AW »
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2023, 10:51:11 AM »
Bonamassa- Dislocated Boy
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uYtZtwVMLPY

Dynamics