Author Topic: Combat Pilot  (Read 3981 times)

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
Re: Combat Pilot
« Reply #60 on: October 06, 2023, 08:56:08 AM »
This overall isn't terrible, but nothing is worse than getting smoked by a friendly.

LoL.  I could understand that in DCS with missiles, but you would think if you were close enough for a gun kill you should be able to tell what you are shooting at.

I bet those were your exact thoughts. ;)

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #61 on: October 06, 2023, 09:22:47 AM »
LoL.  I could understand that in DCS with missiles, but you would think if you were close enough for a gun kill you should be able to tell what you are shooting at.

I would up P-38s because I knew it couldn't be mistaken for anything else. lol. They've made some changes to how "dots" are rendered which helped, along with higher res VR sets make it easier to distinguish friend from foe.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #62 on: October 06, 2023, 12:35:10 PM »
they have the MiG and Lagg series that we lack, along with the Pe-2.

I like that.  Although in AH these days, we wouldn't be able to fill MiG's or LaGG's.  These days, to get participation, we seem restricted to mid-late war.  Alas.

their weather system includes a multitude of meteorological conditions that we lack. Some servers utilize air spawns so they do exist and radar settings seem to vary amongst the top populated servers, so they have the ability to manipulated too.

Good info.

Singletons.

Drat.  The trios make a huge positive difference on fun of flying level bombers in scenarios.

Yes, they have several different icon settings.

That's good.

One of my key gripes about IL2 is that the two most populated servers use no icons. This overall isn't terrible, but nothing is worse than getting smoked by a friendly. It has it's moments, but overall I prefer icons.

Me, too.

Naive folks think no icons are more realistic.  But the human eye has far higher ability to notice and resolve things than modern computer screens can provide.

If not obscured in cloud, it is not hard to keep sight of an aircraft, even one with camo paint, in normal prop-plane dogfight ranges (1000 yards and less, say).  For example, I went to Air Combat USA once, and had zero problems keeping sight of any aircraft.  That was with camo paint on planes and a brown, varied, mottled terrain that the camo would be perfect for.  Your eye/brain picks up motion; the colors aren't exact matches; your fovea has gigantic resolution.  It was zero problem.

I think it is *more* realistic to have icons on planes in flight sims so that you aren't losing track of planes that you'd have no trouble keeping track of in real life.

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: October 06, 2023, 12:47:31 PM »

You'd be amazed how similar a P-40 looks to a 109 from the high 6 position. I stopped using green painted 109's because of it. Been on both ends of this specific mistake.

Another example is the similarity in horizontal silhouette between the C.202 is to the MiG-3. It's that confusion that inspired me to use the C.205, sans cannon, as a MiG-3 sub in some FSO designs.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #64 on: October 07, 2023, 10:35:58 PM »
I like that.  Although in AH these days, we wouldn't be able to fill MiG's or LaGG's.  These days, to get participation, we seem restricted to mid-late war.  Alas.

Good info.

Drat.  The trios make a huge positive difference on fun of flying level bombers in scenarios.

That's good.

Me, too.

Naive folks think no icons are more realistic.  But the human eye has far higher ability to notice and resolve things than modern computer screens can provide.

If not obscured in cloud, it is not hard to keep sight of an aircraft, even one with camo paint, in normal prop-plane dogfight ranges (1000 yards and less, say).  For example, I went to Air Combat USA once, and had zero problems keeping sight of any aircraft.  That was with camo paint on planes and a brown, varied, mottled terrain that the camo would be perfect for.  Your eye/brain picks up motion; the colors aren't exact matches; your fovea has gigantic resolution.  It was zero problem.

I think it is *more* realistic to have icons on planes in flight sims so that you aren't losing track of planes that you'd have no trouble keeping track of in real life.

I just don’t like icons in videos intended to be realistic, like a movie , otherwise they are a must.
Masters of the Air Scenario Video
https://youtu.be/rQiA2yMiZf0?si=rLktJoR5ZTqBuKiE

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #65 on: November 02, 2023, 02:27:21 PM »
Enigma just asked for HT's contact info.  I'd love to hear that interview.  Fingers crossed.

That would get HTC a large bump in exposure. His views range from 4k to 100k for a video.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #66 on: November 02, 2023, 03:27:33 PM »
Enigma just asked for HT's contact info.  I'd love to hear that interview.  Fingers crossed.

That would get HTC a large bump in exposure. His views range from 4k to 100k for a video.

:aok