Author Topic: Oculus Rift S mystery  (Read 390 times)

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Oculus Rift S mystery
« on: October 07, 2023, 04:51:04 PM »
So my Rift S has been working just fine for a couple of years.  Last week the device window said:

"Connected"  [green dot]

"No display port connection"  [red dot]

I'm connected to the computer's own display port, and am using the Oculus plug.  Device manager says it's working just fine.  I cannot for the life of me find a way to open a ticket in Oculus support, or even to send them an e-mail.

Insights appreciated.

- oldman

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
Re: Oculus Rift S mystery
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2023, 05:13:00 PM »
I'm a couple years from the RiftS. Been using a G2 for a while now. IIRC when I had this happen the cure was to unplug both the usb and video. Open the software, it'll tell you it's not connected and to plug one of them in first (I forget which one) wait like 30 secs and then plug the other in.

Sometimes after either a windows or oculus update it loses track of the connections and just needs to be re-associated.

If it doesn't work with the same ports, try different ones.

Question tho. You say you're using the PC's video port? Why not plug into the video card directly? Probably better to do that.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline SNO

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2023, 05:30:57 PM »
You can also make sure your usb ports aren’t powering down by doing this.

How do I keep my USB ports active Windows 10?
Right click the Windows Start Button and go to Device Manager. Open Universal Serial Bus Controllers. Double click any devices that are labelled as USB Hubs and go to the Power Management tab for that device. Uncheck the box for Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.
☩Schnee☩
Jagdgeschwader 11

Das-Beste-kommt-erst-noch

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2023, 05:36:00 PM »
Oh that's a given! Best part is windows updates will tend to reset them back so you'll have to go back and turn off energy savings again and again. Annoying as heck.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2023, 08:25:34 PM »
Sno's advice was very useful; I found that three of my USB ports had the power-saving function on.  Now they're off (for the present).  But that didn't solve the problem.

Drano put his finger on it.  The oldman had the HDMI plugged into the computer's port, not the video card port.  I blame the dog for making me pull it out in the first place.

Thanks, everyone, I don't know how many months it would have taken me to discover such a simple error on my own.

- oldman

Offline SNO

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2023, 07:46:57 AM »
Glad you are back in business  :aok
☩Schnee☩
Jagdgeschwader 11

Das-Beste-kommt-erst-noch