Author Topic: Where can I find more training films like this?  (Read 3834 times)

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
Re: Where can I find more training films like this?
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2023, 03:17:00 PM »

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2023, 04:15:03 PM »
I'd pay for her account to have someone who doesn't run quite as much.

But I can see it now...

BTSkygirl in a yak3 with cronies galore.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2023, 03:55:31 PM »
I don't fly much anymore but I am still one of the best.... . At parting out a 38j.   :D
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Badboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2023, 07:32:23 PM »
Until seeing this video, I would never have thought it would be so easy to beat a veteran player like this, nor be able to understand the maneuvers and where the opponent went wrong or the decision making process of the attacker.

Hi Palace Cobra,

Sorry for the belated response.

The following comments are not only intended for you, as they apply equally to anyone who might be genuinely interested in learning about air combat.

The Youtube video mentioned may inspire viewers to look for more information on the subject, which is a good thing, but a word of caution if I may.

There is little doubt that winning a fight can provide enough credibility to impress a viewer to want more. But you need to be careful, because although you may feel as though you have gained knowledge and understanding, that can be deceptive. Allow me to explain:

Firstly, this film should have triggered alarm bells because it begins with an ad hominem attack on the character of the other player involved while aggrandising the presenter. The film therefore appears to be motivated by a desire to discredit and embarrass the player who appears in the film, rather than a genuine desire to be helpful or informative to others like yourself who are simply hoping to learn. Not a good start.

Secondly, many of the technical descriptions and explanations relating to the air combat shown in the video are wrong, as are many of the names and explanations of the maneuvers. Other critical points have been omitted. You may feel as though you have learned from that, but the explanations provided are going to conflict with reliable sources you find and are certain to make real learning and deeper understanding more difficult and lead to confusion. That will hinder your progress and make it difficult for you to recover and improve. That's not the sort of handicap anyone needs while trying to learn.

When you start to learn something new it is important that you are exposed to correct terminology and explanations as early as possible so that you gain a proper understanding of the underlying principles. That way you will be able to correctly recognise and identify them when they occur in your fights. You will be able to reinforce what you learn from a variety of sources until with practice you are able to apply them correctly in the future. The information provided in that video contains so many errors and omissions it is unlikely to be helpful to you in that respect. And judging from your enthusiasm for the new knowledge gained from that video, it sounds as though it may have already done more harm than good.

My advice would be to find some reputable sources of information, such as Shaw's book “Fighter Combat”, or some of the real military training documents that are easy to find on the internet. If you use those to at least learn the terminology and basic principles of air combat, you should find it a little easier to discuss those ideas with others and recognise misinformation when it is presented, no matter how inspirational it may seem at the time.

Hope that helps

Kind regards

Badboy
The Damned (est. 1988)
  • AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Air Warrior Trainer - Retired

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2023, 08:20:59 PM »
Firstly, this film should have triggered alarm bells

Heh.  Well done, Badz.  We all knew this was a setup, and you have responded in a very English manner.

Good to see you here again.

- oldman

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2023, 04:15:06 AM »

When you start to learn something new it is important that you are exposed to correct terminology and explanations as early as possible so that you gain a proper understanding of the underlying principles. That way you will be able to correctly recognise and identify them when they occur in your fights.

So true. I have often noticed during my career how much easier it was to teach something to a total newcomer than to someone who has learned wrong tactics. I've had gray hair more than once with someone used to shoot targets w/ .22 with one hand from 25 meters. Teaching them or pistol silhouette shooters tactics how to survive in gunfight can drive any instructor nuts. Let alone those who have gained master degree from action movies...

Offline Badboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2023, 07:50:02 AM »
We all knew this was a setup

Yep, after reading the original post, my feeling was that the original poster was most likely the same guy who made the video.

The narrative added to the video is so blatantly wrong it is pure comedy and probably just a set up as well.

But, if I can prevent one genuine player from being sucked in by that nonsense it will have been worth feeding the troll.

I've been flying a lot lately, do you get into the MA much these days?

Kind regards

Badboy
The Damned (est. 1988)
  • AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Air Warrior Trainer - Retired

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2023, 01:50:12 PM »
There are times, such as this, where I wish I could be as eloquent as badboy.  :old:
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

"BE a man and shoot me in the back" - pez

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2023, 04:36:30 PM »
There are times, such as this, where I wish I could be as eloquent as badboy.  :old:
he was very eloquent in his opinion..I think he might be an English scholar or hold a PHD lol
"scott66"        
 XO ThunderHorse Squadron.    

"This place is a psychologist's wet dream".... FishBait

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2023, 08:32:39 PM »
he was very eloquent in his opinion..I think he might be an English scholar or hold a PHD lol

I think both are true.

- oldman

Offline svaalbar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2023, 12:13:08 PM »
I don't fly much anymore but I am still one of the best.... . At parting out a 38j.   :D

Idk you pulled some voodoo magic with that p38j and spilled some Margherita into my engine and I died the other night  :rofl
"All fighter pilots were a little crazy, but mostly the nicest guys you'd ever meet." The Biography of a Rabbit, by Roy Benson Jr - https://gutenberg.org/files/7190/7190-h/7190-h.htm

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaKxx5UhMZ0REI8E2FGfGag

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2023, 01:22:48 PM »
Idk you pulled some voodoo magic with that p38j and spilled some Margherita into my engine and I died the other night  :rofl

You probably ran into one of the parts that fell off my bird. They are so used to falling off, they do so even when I am flying with no enemy around.   :joystick:
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline MajWoody

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2023, 02:03:12 PM »
Yep, after reading the original post, my feeling was that the original poster was most likely the same guy who made the video.

The narrative added to the video is so blatantly wrong it is pure comedy and probably just a set up as well.

But, if I can prevent one genuine player from being sucked in by that nonsense it will have been worth feeding the troll.

Kind regards

Badboy

Well played, Sir.  :salute
Lets keep the stupid to a minimum.
Old Age and Treachery, will overcome youth and skill EVERYTIME

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2023, 08:53:36 PM »

Kind regards

Badboy

Agree Badboy.  More of an ego chest thumping than a training source.  After the first name calling, credibility disappeared.

All gave some, Some gave all