Author Topic: iCue v5 issue with GPU sensor and custom fan curves  (Read 396 times)

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
iCue v5 issue with GPU sensor and custom fan curves
« on: October 25, 2023, 01:10:42 PM »
Hey guys, a PSA. So I had to bail on FSO last week after the second PC crash of the night just as I took off. Upon further review I saw that none of my case fans were turning and I was getting 39c out the top of my case (ouch!) according to another remote thermometer. Took me a while to figure out what was happening but I found that iCue, which I use to control all my LEDs and fans on this PC, had decided at some point to stop adjusting the case fan speeds when I had it pointed at any of my GPU temp sensors. This is how I've had it set up forever without issue. I could run a manual profile and the fans would spin right up. Good news as it showed they weren't all dead, or the commander pro they're all plugged into. Pick pretty much any other sensor and they'd run. Put them back to the GPU and they'd just stop. It didn't affect the AIO at all so good news for my CPU. Those fans kept running. The fans actually on the GPU were spinning 100% but what it had to work with was just a little toasty with no other airflow so it shut down.

Turns out-- I'm not alone seeing this. It's a bug introduced with a recent update of iCue. Corsair is aware of it and is working on a fix. Meanwhile, I'd use another sensor in iCue if you're running custom fan curves. I switched to one of the thermistors that came with the commander pro monitoring case temperature directly and that works, just not as fast. GPU temp will rise faster than the actual case temp. Alternatively, you can switch back to iCue v4 (which is a chore) but you'll have to reset everything if you do.

Those pesky updates! They fix all kinds of stuff! LOL
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: iCue v5 issue with GPU sensor and custom fan curves
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2023, 03:56:02 PM »
ICue has been a royal pain. It fails updates regularly. If I had it to do over, I'd stay away from corsair.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2023, 07:51:39 PM »
Oh agreed but I got too much of their stuff plugged into this machine now!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2023, 01:39:16 AM »
Can't you just bypass the iCue software and control at least the fans via UEFI/Bios?
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2023, 12:29:32 PM »
Oh agreed but I got too much of their stuff plugged into this machine now!

I was thinking about my corsair gear.   
10 fans 3 of them on the AIO.
Keyboard
Mouse
128 gigs ram
All lit up like a potato house.
ROTFLMAO
My 4070TI is lit up too
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2023, 02:21:25 PM »
Can't you just bypass the iCue software and control at least the fans via UEFI/Bios?

I probably could Biz. Thing is, like Shuffler, I have mine all lit up and it looks good. Just wanted to do that with this build. I get bored I just change the colors. I haven't had any issues with iCue--at least nothing like this--in the couple of years I have into this machine. Even so, I still have to use the Asus software for it to all link up and light the video card! It took me a while to figure out what was going on and get the fans back running normally--just not using the GPU sensor as I'd like. You can put in a custom curve and point it at any number of temperature sensors to ramp up and down, which usually works perfectly. Seems they broke something in the most recent update and you can't use the GPU sensors. I'm sure they'll put in a fix. I just wanted to pass it along in case someone else ran into the problem.
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2023, 02:37:29 PM »
Sounds like they should be liable if their software failed and your gear burnt up...

My last box is a lcd/led multicolored light show too..the fans in the case, video card, cooler, cpu, ram are all so bright and gay lol

1st water cooling system I have ever built

As the desktop is under my desk I don't appreciate the cosmic light show some would

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2023, 01:56:37 AM »
---usually works perfectly. Seems they broke something in the most recent update ---
Exactly. That's why I prefer setting fan speeds in UEFI/Bios. The updates most likely won't break the system, also they're model specific so any crucial bugs in programming only would cover a small number of systems using the same chipset.

So is it possible to use the iCue software just for colours and let the hardware take care of temperatures?
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2023, 05:50:31 PM »
Just updating this one. Corsair's latest patch for iCue corrected this little glitch. Back to cooling normally.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"