Author Topic: Reverb G2 Frames Rate Mysteriously Tanked  (Read 1098 times)

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
Reverb G2 Frames Rate Mysteriously Tanked
« on: October 31, 2023, 12:04:30 PM »
From one week to another with a four day pause in use, Nvidia driver update, frame rates have dumped from a consistent 70s - 80s, to 15s - 25s with constant screen jitters.  The 3080 has run with perfection after numerous updates.  Not sure if the most recent once is the cause, or something else is going on.  Planning on reinstalling the graphics card drivers today as a first step. Any ideas?

Additionally, this red cross hatching has started appearing in the text buffer.

pic uploads
« Last Edit: October 31, 2023, 02:37:17 PM by Puma44 »

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Re: Reverb G2 Frames Rate Mysteriously Tanked
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2023, 01:30:07 PM »
My thoughts -

- Do one thing at a time, checking ingame for changes with each step.  I think back out latest graphics drivers is a logical first step

- check your graphics card connections, reseat connections at back of computer

- check your machine for dust build up

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2023, 03:45:46 PM »
My thoughts -

- Do one thing at a time, checking ingame for changes with each step.  I think back out latest graphics drivers is a logical first step

- check your graphics card connections, reseat connections at back of computer

- check your machine for dust build up.........and if the fans are running

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2023, 07:07:48 PM »
Thanks for the ideas, Gents.  I started with the simplest and checked for driver updates.  As luck would have it, a new one came out today.  Downloaded and installed it.  Frame rates are back to normal.  Love when it’s something simple.   :aok

Thanks again for your thoughts guys!   :salute

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2023, 07:58:41 PM »
Glad to hear it!   :aok

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2023, 10:35:50 PM »
With the frame rate mystery solved, any ideas on the red hatch marks on the text that appears on the “EVENT” text lines?  It’s been showing up for the last couple of weeks.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2023, 10:38:06 PM by Puma44 »

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2023, 12:12:41 AM »
Does it occur in any other 3D programs?   

Offline Icer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2023, 05:44:06 AM »

Just a heads-up when installing Nvidia drivers, highly suggest using NVCleanstall (https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-nvcleanstall/) to do a "Clean" installation of the latest drivers, no Telemetry, no GeForce Experience,  no added crap.. Now back to regular programming.  :)
Win11 Pro 23H2/ Asus Z790-PLUS D4, / i9-13900KF @5.8Gz, 64GB DDR4 @3192mhz / 2TB M.2 NvMe Boot Drive, Zotac Gaming GeForce 4090 - 546.33 drivers/ 3 Samsung 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz  / TIR 5/ TM Warthog HOTAS w/VirPil stick base/ MFG V3 Pedals/ TM MFDs on 8" Lilliputs/ Simgears ICP/ Varjo Aero VR

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2023, 09:12:30 AM »
Just a heads-up when installing Nvidia drivers, highly suggest using NVCleanstall (https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-nvcleanstall/) to do a "Clean" installation of the latest drivers, no Telemetry, no GeForce Experience,  no added crap.. Now back to regular programming.  :)

This! But first....

If things are getting screwy and you suspect a driver issue it's probably a good idea to to a COMPLETELY clean install using DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) Get that at Guru3D here:

https://www.guru3d.com/download/display-driver-uninstaller-download/

What the difference? DDU will completely remove all traces of the video drivers and reg files for all GPU brands and also the audio drivers and files if needed. So you're starting out with a truely clean slate. If you're switching out cards, defiinitely do this. ESPECIALLY if you're going from team red to team green or team blue. Absolutely don't skip this! You'll save yourself a lot of hassle. Follow the directions. This must be run in safe mode!

NVCleanstall is a bit different. Get that at Techpowerup here:

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-nvcleanstall/

What it does is debloat the driver install itself allowing you to choose what NV crapola you want in part of the install or not. I usually just go with the driver install alone as I don't use the experience or any of that. Run the app, a dialog box comes up asking what you to select a driver file. Another dialog with check boxes asks what you stuff you want to install. One box should be do a clean install. This will erase anything you might have had set up in the NV control panel. This is also important as some of those settings might not be totally compatible from one driver set to another. You'll just have to put things back manually.
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2023, 11:22:19 AM »
Does it occur in any other 3D programs?   

No, only here in the last couple of weeks.  :salute

This! But first....

If things are getting screwy and you suspect a driver issue it's probably a good idea to to a COMPLETELY clean install using DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) Get that at Guru3D here:

https://www.guru3d.com/download/display-driver-uninstaller-download/

What the difference? DDU will completely remove all traces of the video drivers and reg files for all GPU brands and also the audio drivers and files if needed. So you're starting out with a truely clean slate. If you're switching out cards, defiinitely do this. ESPECIALLY if you're going from team red to team green or team blue. Absolutely don't skip this! You'll save yourself a lot of hassle. Follow the directions. This must be run in safe mode!

NVCleanstall is a bit different. Get that at Techpowerup here:

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-nvcleanstall/

What it does is debloat the driver install itself allowing you to choose what NV crapola you want in part of the install or not. I usually just go with the driver install alone as I don't use the experience or any of that. Run the app, a dialog box comes up asking what you to select a driver file. Another dialog with check boxes asks what you stuff you want to install. One box should be do a clean install. This will erase anything you might have had set up in the NV control panel. This is also important as some of those settings might not be totally compatible from one driver set to another. You'll just have to put things back manually.

Thanks!  I’ve never heard of this and will definitely use it.  Another one of those “I don’t know what I don’t know” issues.   :salute

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2023, 11:33:08 AM »
With the frame rate mystery solved, any ideas on the red hatch marks on the text that appears on the “EVENT” text lines?  It’s been showing up for the last couple of weeks.
To me they look just like some red bleeding through the yellow...

First thing to test is to change the size of the buffer text. Some sizes just don't scale as good as others.

Another thing to test is to slightly change the colour of Event messages. Same reason, some hues just don't play well.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2023, 12:02:03 PM »
To me they look just like some red bleeding through the yellow...

First thing to test is to change the size of the buffer text. Some sizes just don't scale as good as others.

Another thing to test is to slightly change the colour of Event messages. Same reason, some hues just don't play well.

Thanks!  I’ll give that a try.  I’ve never changed the EVENT messages but, will make sure that’s not an issue.   :salute

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2023, 12:35:21 PM »
I was having a similar issue with the text in the buffer. Mine was a chromatic abberation thing tho. Where you could see the letters but they'd have say the red and blue slightly offset. I started noticing it looking out the windows in the tower too. Could see it along the windo panes. It just bugged me so I looked into it. I found out how to correct for that in this article:

https://www.mtbs3d.com/articles/editorial/22920-guide-how-to-test-and-fix-chromatic-aberration-on-wmr-vr-headsets.html

There's a vid in this link that describes the process using an app called WMR Tray Tool. Link in the article.

As Biz says tho, yours might be a straight up color problem. Try another color and see if it goes away.
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2023, 12:37:36 PM »
Thanks Drano!  I’ll give it a try.  Just plain strange it occurred without any intentional action on my part.   :salute

Offline SNO

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2023, 12:44:32 PM »
Thanks Drano!  I’ll give it a try.  Just plain strange it occurred without any intentional action on my part.   :salute

You’re a fighter pilot, you should be used to unintentional actions occurring without any intentional action on your part!  :devil
☩Schnee☩
Jagdgeschwader 11

Das-Beste-kommt-erst-noch