Author Topic: VERY Old Players Returning?  (Read 1449 times)

Offline Synchronosis

• Zinc Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
VERY Old Players Returning?
« on: November 14, 2023, 08:53:00 AM »
Hello everyone,

Myself and my cousin Explacid are considering returning to Aces High after some thought. I wanted to talk with you all and get a temperature check.

We used to play back in the day. To elaborate, I was a child-quite literally and played with my father. I went by 'Pilotboy' and my father went by 'Six'. We were a part of the 99th Astag and I remember having a ton of fun in bombing squadrons and fighting formations the same. I logged in today (yea, I mean, it IS Tuesday morning) but only saw 31 people in the open melee? Is AH more-or-less dead? My cousin and I are wanting something with much more of a sim feel than Warthunder for example. We're both also streaming for what it's worth. Thoughts?

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
Re: VERY Old Players Returning?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2023, 09:38:44 AM »
Those numbers are typical for weekday mornings.  They peak in US primetime usually between 120 and 200 people.  Still lots of fun to be had.  Sometimes you need to look a bit harder to find it.

Offline Synchronosis

• Zinc Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2023, 09:46:43 AM »
That's heartening to hear! We'll likely be making our appearances. Super excited!

Offline Bixby

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2023, 12:23:50 PM »
Not sure what you mean by "very old"...(74) here and still loving this game. Come back in...plenty of fun to be had!

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2023, 12:35:36 PM »
8PM-12AM EST usually the best time for action. Been averaging around 120 people steady during that time. Depending on how long you were away the game might be completely new to you like it was for me after my break. The bases and towns are all updated and now there are strategic targets. I forget when they all came about. Was just the HQ when I left.

The FSO gets lots more people I think but I do not know what it’s averaging player wise. Guessing 200-250 but I cannot stay awake for it these days.

Tons of fun to be had welcome back!
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline Prayer

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2023, 10:10:18 PM »
Six as in SixGun?

Offline wolvrine

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2023, 10:40:14 PM »
Hey...I  might be returning also. Been absent since 2013. Lost everything...everything. Have a desktop coming in couple days...starting with a used Logitech stick(use to own hotas warthog)..Desk should be here in about a week..eventually will purchase petals. I will try to keep my playing to a minimum tho if I can help it..good luck to me. Very rusty..might take awhile to get it back...there's a lot I forgot and a lot of new stuff I haven't seen. Haven't seen any of my old flying buddies.
   Maybe we'll see each other there..take care n stay safe.

Offline Icer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2023, 05:13:36 AM »
We used to play back in the day. To elaborate, I was a child-quite literally and played with my father. I went by 'Pilotboy' and my father went by 'Six'. We were a part of the 99th Astag and I remember having a ton of fun in bombing squadrons and fighting formations the same. I logged in today (yea, I mean, it IS Tuesday morning) but only saw 31 people in the open melee? Is AH more-or-less dead? My cousin and I are wanting something with much more of a sim feel than Warthunder for example. We're both also streaming for what it's worth. Thoughts?

Old player  :D?  I was 36 when I stated in AH in 2000!!
Win11 Pro 23H2/ Asus Z790-PLUS D4, / i9-13900KF @5.8Gz, 64GB DDR4 @3192mhz / 2TB M.2 NvMe Boot Drive, Zotac Gaming GeForce 4090 - 546.33 drivers/ 3 Samsung 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz  / TIR 5/ TM Warthog HOTAS w/VirPil stick base/ MFG V3 Pedals/ TM MFDs on 8" Lilliputs/ Simgears ICP/ Varjo Aero VR

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2023, 06:58:46 PM »
Those numbers are typical for weekday mornings.  They peak in US primetime usually between 120 and 200 people.  Still lots of fun to be had.  Sometimes you need to look a bit harder to find it.

200 people? That's good stuff! When was this? I haven't seen those numbers in years.

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2023, 07:10:51 PM »
200 people? That's good stuff! When was this? I haven't seen those numbers in years.

Fridays before FSO are typically the highest numbers I see.

The more important part of the equation is what map is up at the time.  Certain maps can be a blast with 60 people.  Certain maps are stale and will be unless the current player base quadruples

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2023, 02:45:20 AM »
Let's not get hung up on the raw numbers.   

A full DCS server is like 40 to 80 max.  Il2 similar.   Neither are built to have the same multiplayer Fun. 

All it takes for a decent furball or battle to get cooking is a failed base take or one guy upping to kill some troops.   
« Last Edit: December 05, 2023, 02:47:17 AM by Bruv119 »
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Icer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2023, 02:50:13 AM »
Old player  :D?  I was 36 when I stated in AH in 2000!!

Can't edit this, but I MUST be getting addled as I was actually 46 in 2000.....  :uhoh. And I agree, 30-40 people is a LOT on an IL-2 or DCS server...
Win11 Pro 23H2/ Asus Z790-PLUS D4, / i9-13900KF @5.8Gz, 64GB DDR4 @3192mhz / 2TB M.2 NvMe Boot Drive, Zotac Gaming GeForce 4090 - 546.33 drivers/ 3 Samsung 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz  / TIR 5/ TM Warthog HOTAS w/VirPil stick base/ MFG V3 Pedals/ TM MFDs on 8" Lilliputs/ Simgears ICP/ Varjo Aero VR

Offline Bixby

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2023, 01:05:28 AM »
This is is a little old, however, my two cents. I don't fly often, but when I do...I fly to a base and tease them by circling there base in an early war plane. A
 few minutes with no response, I'll take out an auto ack or two at there town and maybe their base.

Still no response...I'll bail and try somewhere else. If no uppers...Adios to the pretender pilots.

Off to another sim.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2023, 08:30:03 AM »
This old player..64 now and have played AH since 2000..enjoys this flight sim over the others as I can see the planes the best here, can usually find a great fight or two in the hour I am on nightly, can fly with and against fellow AHer's whom I have enjoyed over the last 23 years and the fact AH has implemented VR the best in any flight sim as it allows the use of jstick views and vr at the same time.

:cheers:

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2023, 06:29:56 PM »
This old player..64 now and have played AH since 2000..enjoys this flight sim over the others as I can see the planes the best here, can usually find a great fight or two in the hour I am on nightly, can fly with and against fellow AHer's whom I have enjoyed over the last 23 years and the fact AH has implemented VR the best in any flight sim as it allows the use of jstick views and vr at the same time.

:cheers:

Eagler
The VR thing is true. I had to use VRnecksafer to make the hat switch work in another sim that doesn't have such a good VR implementation.