Author Topic: Joystick calibration  (Read 316 times)

Offline Noah17

• Copper Member
Joystick calibration
« on: December 06, 2023, 06:28:48 PM »
My ch combat stick got unplugged and I had to remap the keys and recalibrate the joystick as well as the rudder pedals which is also a ch product. The buttons mapped fine but the joystick didn't seem to calibrate. On takeoff there's no control of the aircraft. I tried calibrating in offline mode, the main arena and also at the main menu. The main menu was weird it would not allow you to open the mapping area for the rudder pedals and joystick. I also remember from many years ago that there was something that allowed you to see the movement on the X and Y axis when you moved the joystick but could not find that in the menu anywhere this time. Does it sound like I need a new joystick/ pedals? Or could there be another problem?
Thanks for any help.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Joystick calibration
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2023, 01:30:25 AM »
There's most likely nothing wrong with your stick and pedals, they've just lost their mapping. Your memory serves you right, there's "something that allows you to see the movement".

In game go to Clipboard: Options>Controllers>Map Controllers: Advanced. Do this for every axis you're going to use, map the axis and set the movement range.

The Calibrate Controllers option is a quick and dirty tool to fix existing calibration for correctly mapped controllers. That can be done even during flight as it doesn't affect the autopilot functionality.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Noah17

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2023, 06:24:28 AM »
I attached a picture of my screen for mapping controllers I have mapped all the buttons successfully and at first did not try mapping the X Y and Z axis. The joystick would not control the plane but the buttons worked. I then tried to map the individual axes and that did not help after calibrating the joystick. Also when I go to Advanced it does not allow me to make any adjustments all of the buttons are greyed out and I cannot select anything. So I'm still stuck and can't use the joystick. I can see different axes highlighted when I move the stick so there is at least some input coming from the controller.

Offline Noah17

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2023, 06:48:11 AM »
Okay so I went back and hit default settings again and for whatever reason it made my pedals not work but it made my joystick work lol. I had tried that before and got nothing on my joystick. Some of my buttons were mapped and others were not but now it is working. Don't know why it worked the second time but oh well...
I really appreciate your help thanks so much and happy holidays!

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2023, 10:04:25 AM »
Analog controls can be assigned as button presses. If you do this by accident you lose the analog axis function.

AH tries to assign your controllers properly but it's best to check everything in case something unusual happens.

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2023, 10:34:28 AM »
First off the axis you showed in your pic are not the correct ones to assign for axis control. The axis control should be at the very top of the list labeled X-axis, Y-axis. The rudder pedals will be a separate item in the drop down menu of controllers, Z-axis, or Z-rotation, for yaw control. There should also be an X, and Y-axis under the rudder for toe brakes. The other thing is normally, for me anyways if I unplug the controller, and plug it back into the same usb port I don't lose any of my settings. If I plug it into a different port then it's like starting with a new controller.

If you would like to meet up in the TA I might be able to better walk you through set-up.

:salute
Sik
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Noah17

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2023, 01:41:20 PM »
Thanks to both of you!
The picture I attached was my second attempt. The first time I went with the default settings and just selected the buttons on my joystick. The pedals set up perfectly without me doing anything other than moving my feet back and forth basically. So that was awesome. But then the joystick wouldn't work so I tried the settings in the picture and obviously that didn't work. So then out of frustration I hit default settings again and this time the joystick worked perfectly but the pedals were off LOL. My wife had stolen my power supply so everything got completely unplugged and I lost it LOL. All works well now.

Good to see you here Sik. It's been 9 years since I moved away from my old neighborhood with a cable modem and had to leave VF-17. I just got 5G Wireless on my farm and have recently started back at Ace's High. Because it's been so long I'm practically a noob at everything lol! If vf17 still meets up somewhere it would be good to see and fly with the guys again.
Happy holidays!

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2023, 02:24:31 PM »
Good to see you Noah. Glad you got it working. there is nothing more frustrating than trying to fly and nothing works the way it should.  :bhead

VF-17 is just a shadow of what it was. There are only five of us that fly on a "semi" regular basis. We do have official squad nights. Tuesday at 9 et/ 6 pt seems to be the more popular one with Droptine, South52, and myself regularly flying. Fridays 10 et/7 pt is usually just Droptine, and myself. We usually only fly for about 1.5 to 2 hours, normally for the Rooks. Feel free to join us if you can. Also if you ever need help with anything don't hesitate to hit me up. I'd be glad to help you knock the rust off, or what ever.

444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Noah17

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2023, 03:18:25 PM »
Sorry to hear they're so few left. But South was a really great guy and I liked to Droptine too.
I think I'm a bishop now but I will switch on over to Rooks and try to catch up with you guys that would be great. Thanks and hope to see you soon.