Author Topic: What keeps this game alive?  (Read 2038 times)

Offline mERv

• Silver Member
What keeps this game alive?
« on: December 14, 2023, 04:49:51 PM »
What is keeping this game alive? My answer is maintaining a presence  :cheers:

What say you?

There is a lot still happening in the moment that cannot be matched in the industry. I keep coming back why do you?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2023, 04:59:46 PM by mERv »
"Its no problem to be the best, but to be so much better than the best is going to bring accusations." Haggarty
"Ever wonder why its always b-17s and B-24s. It allows him an extreme advantage over other players hence his bomber kill count, that and his lazer beam guns." Diaster

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
Re: What keeps this game alive?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2023, 04:59:59 PM »
The reason I had come back previously is because of the players and the camaraderie. It is not as great as it once was as it seems many of the people I enjoyed playing the game with have moved on. It also seems that the detractors have stayed or maybe the presence has become more obvious now that the others are gone.

The thing that consistently runs me off are the mods. One of the things I most enjoy about the game is the banter on 200. I tried playing the game with 200 turned off and found it boring. Of course there are some male donkeys on 200 but I squelch them and carry on until I get muted for something like "non-game discussion on 200" or just muted without warning which I'm guessing is some clown telling all of his buddies to .report me.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2023, 08:47:12 PM »
LOL!!! I never left! Been here since tour 21

Offline mERv

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2023, 09:44:54 PM »
LOL!!! I never left! Been here since tour 21

Let's Go  :salute
"Its no problem to be the best, but to be so much better than the best is going to bring accusations." Haggarty
"Ever wonder why its always b-17s and B-24s. It allows him an extreme advantage over other players hence his bomber kill count, that and his lazer beam guns." Diaster

Offline potsNpans

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2023, 08:53:22 AM »
 :airplane:  Being on the no-fly list has limited my options. So cartoon planes are my option as my no-fly list criteria states.
 I'm too cheap, stubborn and mathematically, and optically challenged to get a pilots license to fly. Other than that, it's still a lot of fun and challenge for me. 

Offline ZE

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2023, 11:03:52 AM »
Great question!!!

I stay since there is no other combat fly simulator as fun and simple as this game. I know there are other maybe more realistic but never as easy and fun to fly. Been here for years and still thanks able to have eyes and coordination to do it.

Offline oTRALFZo

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2023, 11:24:52 AM »
I live to steal kills from 1IJack  :D.
LCA are great bunch of guys. Both in game and offline. I still keep in touch with members of my old squad (Lynchmob) and frequently meet up within families and become good friends. Funny how you curse the player that shot you down, however working along that same player in FSO and all becomes like one big family.

This game has been pretty consistent throughout the years, as far as challenge and environment.  I go back to it especially after the Xbox where the hacking and constant toxic play just makes you log off. Yes we have a few bad apples, but dont take this game too seriously. The very second you are not having fun, its time to log off and take a break
****Let the beatings begin***

in game name: Tralfaz

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2023, 11:31:20 AM »
Before I came back, I DLed the rival sims to check them out and settle on something, maybe something new, different.

Those sims literally did not last on my machine more then 15 minutes. I was sucked in by the modern graphics, like many do, but very quickly found the game-play didn't match the graphics, at all. And the payment plans were a bad hook. They get you into the realm of once you invest it's harder to leave that investment. I wouldn't want to leave $300 in planes, and then end up in that no escape cycle of buy more, for those who bit that hook. They are more about emptying your wallet than game-play.

The selling of other sims is an act of desperation from the experience of lameness "please come make it more exciting for me, worth my investment". If a sim is that great, you don't have time to spend time selling it where it should not be, you'd be spending that time in it. If it's that great their butt will follow. I didn't follow.

BTW, those who claim to not fly anymore for years, still here and selling other sims, still have AH installed (I know this as fact) and still fly AH under shades. Because if you knew they flew that would minimize their sales pitches that this is over. Which exposes them as dishonest brokers. This sim has a boat load of life still in it. We have return players and increasing numbers, their numbers in both rivals, are dropping. One is said to be "dead". https://www.reddit.com/r/il2sturmovik/comments/15vmsns/il2_bos_multiplayer_is_dead/?rdt=48255

OTOH
I think it's common that people tend to stick with what they first started with, whether it be software, games, car brands, breed of dogs. I will not have any other dog but a black lab.

For me, once I experienced the adrenaline of true multi-player, it's going to be very hard to beat. I'm not going to dial it down for somewhat better graphics. I find shooting drones, now sensationalized using the term AI, is about as exciting as taking out the garbage. I need that human brain as a rival. It's me against you.

I know of no other sims that provides true MP adrenaline for me. I looked, I tried, I did not find. Before I pushed the return button, I ventured the bbs as a lurker and saw many I remember still here, even as far back as AW, that has the mental feeling of home for a lost ghost. After what I have been through in life and survived, that is a well needed and deserved endorphin release. It's the nostalgia and MP game-play. Most of the best MP pilots are right here.

I left before AH3 release, so in my return it was a newer game.

I look at AW and AH as the trunk of the tree, the further up the tree the thinner the branches, the thinner the fun as they move away from the trunk of MP. Why would I want to play wannabes that can't seem to hit the mark?
Master of the Air Scenario Video
https://youtu.be/rQiA2yMiZf0?si=QZEvHGf1Le0YlaHf

Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP[/

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2023, 11:35:03 AM »
What keeps this game alive?

Players who are OK with outdated graphics and gameplay.
A yappy back seater like Jester wasn’t popular or fun to fly with, more of an unnecessary distraction than anything else---Puma44

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2023, 11:42:49 AM »
Those times when I run into a pilot that is there for the fight.  Just the fight, win or lose. I lose more than win, but the fight is what keeps me here. ZE and Eagler are two that gurantee a fun time.

Back in the day, stealing each others kills was SOP for the BK's
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2023, 12:08:42 PM »
Players who are OK with outdated graphics and gameplay.

Yeah because everyone can just go drop $3k on a PC to fly pretty planes on pretty maps.
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2023, 01:15:15 PM »
Yeah because everyone can just go drop $3k on a PC to fly pretty planes on pretty maps.

There is payment plans available. Maybe stop making bad decisions and your credit might be good enough for the payment plan.

If a person wants something bad enough...that person will get it.
A yappy back seater like Jester wasn’t popular or fun to fly with, more of an unnecessary distraction than anything else---Puma44

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2023, 01:24:02 PM »

You don't need that much. I fly 'pretty planes on pretty maps', and my core system consisting of Ryzen 5 3600, RX 6650 xt, 32GB, 1TB SSD, AM4 Mainboard would cost me 500€ right now.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2023, 01:48:06 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2023, 02:26:42 PM »
There is payment plans available. Maybe stop making bad decisions and your credit might be good enough for the payment plan.

I love how you assume that I was speaking about myself. You know nothing about me, my credit score, my decisions, or anything. I’m just tired of seeing your negativity towards AH all over these boards. If it’s that bad, just leave and don’t look back.
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2023, 02:34:30 PM »

I never thought I'd see someone giving terrible advice on credit on this forum but here we are lol.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com