Author Topic: Anyone playing with Varjo Aero ?  (Read 845 times)

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
Anyone playing with Varjo Aero ?
« on: December 16, 2023, 03:09:29 PM »
mine is under the tree. I'll be setting it up after christmas. From what i remember, it uses OpenXR and Ah doesn't support it...... anyone tried it yet?

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
Re: Anyone playing with Varjo Aero ?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2023, 04:07:49 PM »
Wow. That thing is freaking expensive! Out of my price range. I'm interested in hearing about it though.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2023, 04:24:12 PM »
Count me interested as well - I want to hear about your experience with AH3, Il-2 Great Battles, DCS, etc. 

Offline dafez

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2023, 07:21:12 PM »
Mine is currently on a plane in Minnesota.  Supposed to be here on Friday.  It uses SteamVR so it should work with AH3!!!  If it doesn't I'm going to bust a ball.

Offline dafez

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2023, 08:47:28 PM »
It got here today!  No bases yet, though.  Clarity is amazing on virtual desktop.  I couldn't get AH to go into true full screen mode, though.

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2023, 04:08:56 PM »
good news, it works just fine of the the box.
Steam VR takes care of everything. Setup is a breeze. I didn't notice any performance issues.

However.....
two things

1. There is this weird feeling like my head is in the fishbowl. Everything around me is rounded, far more rounded then it was on my G2. As if the visuals were rendered much closer then previously. It gives me bit of a vertigo and takes  away from the experience. I hope it is a configuration thing as nothing like that occurred in DCS. Anyone seen anything like that ? I'd hate to be juggling headsets between the games ;)

2. Mouse cursor, it is fixed in one position. I guess i could move it using controllers - if i had any. Anyone knows how to make it move again in VR ? It's positioned really low on the screen and moving my head to mouse over things is a real pain.

Last but not least - my AH starts up about 30 seconds. Song starts, it has to play full and when it repeats - only then i get next screen - usually arena selection. It's been like that for years. Is this normal ?

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2023, 03:45:47 PM »
from reading the boards - fish bowl effect seems to be a steamvr bug where you  are being detected as cross eyed or something.... still looking for a fix..

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2024, 05:20:44 PM »
unpacked my old G2 and it works just fine.

Can't recommend Varjo if you're going to play AH. Fishbowl effect is very noticeable - like world is wrapped around your head really tight. I could play like that only for 1h and would get a headache right after.

Looks like i'm going to have to juggle the headsets.
No idea if Pimax is any better. Looks like a OpenVR problem for new headsets with SteamVR :(

Offline streakeagle

• Silver Member
      • Streak Eagle - Stephen's Website
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2024, 10:45:16 PM »
I had the same problem with the Quest 3. The effect is similar to using VR zoom in DCS World. I haven't found a solution yet other than reverting to the G2 or using the native Oculus software. But the Quest 3 has much better visual quality and performance when I use Virtual Desktop with either OpenXR or SteamVR. It sucks that you have a much better headset that cost a lot more and still have the same problem.
i5(4690K) MAXIMUS VII HERO(32 Gb RAM) GTX1080(8 Gb RAM) Win10 Home (64-bit)
OUR MISSION: PROTECT THE FORCE, GET THE PICTURES, ...AND KILL MIGS!

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2024, 03:16:40 PM »
I had the same problem with the Quest 3. The effect is similar to using VR zoom in DCS World. I haven't found a solution yet other than reverting to the G2 or using the native Oculus software. But the Quest 3 has much better visual quality and performance when I use Virtual Desktop with either OpenXR or SteamVR. It sucks that you have a much better headset that cost a lot more and still have the same problem.

i think it has something to do with the way that OpenVR is implemented for those newer headsets.

Too bad really :(

Offline streakeagle

• Silver Member
      • Streak Eagle - Stephen's Website
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2024, 08:02:39 PM »
So far, Aces High is the only flight sim that gets completely messed up when I use SteamVR with the Quest 3. In some other SteamVR sims, images/scaling/motion is all correct, but I can see reference lines for the safety barrier and center point when I look down. But when I can use OpenXR either natively or forced using the OpenComposite plugin tool, everything looks great and performs well.
i5(4690K) MAXIMUS VII HERO(32 Gb RAM) GTX1080(8 Gb RAM) Win10 Home (64-bit)
OUR MISSION: PROTECT THE FORCE, GET THE PICTURES, ...AND KILL MIGS!

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2024, 02:58:05 AM »
But when I can use OpenXR either natively or forced using the OpenComposite plugin tool, everything looks great and performs well.

just to clarify - you got AH to work with OpenXR ? Or is this sentence about other games?

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2024, 06:26:15 AM »
I'd think the problem there with AH is there's an option to use either OculusVR or SteamVR when you start the game. The Quest, being an Oculus headset wouldn't work with SteamVR. I have a G2 which is WMR and have to use WMR for SteamVR and select SteamVR when starting the game.

For other games I use Opencomposite to force OpenXR whenever I can. I couldn't get that to work with AH no matter what I did. I even spent some time one day with the developer who couldn't get it to work either. Said HT could probably make that happen as it's been adapted to many other VR games. Doesn't seem like that's gonna happen at this point tho.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2024, 10:56:11 AM »
Varjo Aero is discontinued.  :(

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2024, 11:35:39 AM »
That explains the crazy price cut

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals