Author Topic: Upcoming Mighty 8th Masters of the Air scenario  (Read 826 times)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Upcoming Mighty 8th Masters of the Air scenario
« on: December 17, 2023, 12:47:08 PM »
I'm looking forward to the previously announced Mighty 8th Masters of the Air scenario, and if I understand correctly, this multi-frame scenario will feature upgrade paths for FGs to progress from earlier aircraft models to later ones as the scenario progresses.   

I got curious and did some research and built this table showing the 8th AF's fighter groups, their combat entry dates, and the aircraft they used in the course of the War.  Complete information was difficult to find so there is some estimating on my part, but I think its at least 80-90% accurate.

Click image for full-size version

I'm looking forward to learning which fighter and bomber groups will be used in the scenario.  "Masters of the Air" will be portraying the 100th BG, but we have many very nice B-17 skins available from a number of different 8th AF bomb groups (including the 100thBG).  I'm hoping we'll have enough players sign up so we can support multiple bomber groups, with both B-17 and B-24s included.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2023, 12:50:26 PM by oboe »

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Upcoming Mighty 8th Masters of the Air scenario
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2023, 01:53:40 PM »
Thanks, Oboe. I did provide something similar to the CM team, including the Luftwaffe gruppen. But I did limit the selection of Luftwaffe units to those that did not move to the Eastern Front in Jan. 1945 or those known to have not engaged the 8th AF in 1945.

Also, with the hope to draw players who really only focus on the late-war planes, I recommended that the scenario focus on the raids from September 1944 onward.

Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2023, 02:18:04 PM »
Interesting.   It'd be tough to forgo a "Big Week" type scenario Feb '44, though.  Starting in Sep '44, almost excludes the P-47D-11.

Not sure what the time frame will be, but to maximize the idea of aircraft model upgrades, at least for the US FGs, I'd recommend a Big Week frame (Feb '44),  a D-Day frame (June '44), an Oct '44 frame, and then a post Jan '45 frame to include the P-47M for the 56th FG.

Not sure how those dates would affect the Luftwaffe Order of Battle though.   And it depends on which US FGs they decide to include.  With the 56th, you get the best range of P-47 models, there are many skins for the 20th FG P-38Js and you get some nice P-51D skins too.  It'd be tough to exclude the 4th, 352nd and the 357th FGs also.  Such great skins available for those groups.

I'm working on another spreadsheet that shows which skins we have available within this framework too - that may help the decision of which FGs to include.

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2023, 02:53:34 PM »
Here's what I made for the Scenario team:

It already accounts for the P-51 units with the best variety of skins.

Also, some of the team wants to limit the aircraft changes per squad to only one, if at all, for the sake of simplicity.

The dates selected were all named in my Luftwaffe references as having a strong Luftwaffe response or intercepts by TA-152's in the case of the final 3. The Scenario team will narrow those down to 5 frames(probably) based on having the most aircraft variety and how close the targets are to available bases.

I figure it will be something like this
Frame 1: September 1944
Frame 2: November 1944
Frame 3: December 1944 /January 1945
Frame 4: February 1945
Frame 5: March/April 1945

The problem with doing missions earlier in 1944 is that there was so much flux in the Luftwaffe that most of the units that intercepted "Big Week" raids were not intercepting the 8th AF in 1945. And most of the units doing bomber intercepts in late 1944/early 1945 were not available in the west before D-Day or did not exist at all.

Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2023, 06:40:48 PM »
Here's a complete listing of the 8th AF's FGs, timeline style, with the skins we have available.  I chopped off the earlier months and extended to Apr '45.  Some of the units were in combat prior to Jun-43, but I didn't think it necessary to show.

Click to enlarge

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2023, 06:54:40 PM »
Oh, that's awesome. Thanks Oboe.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2024, 02:12:57 AM »
We are going to run the upcoming Masters of the Air scenario February 3, 10, 17, 24, and March 2.  It will be a 5-frame scenario

Because --

It is going to be themed on the 100th BG missions from 1944 to 1945 and represent planes across that span.  109G-6's groups will eventually be flying 109K's, and so on.

We will post a draft of the setup soon.

Registration will open this upcoming Sunday night.

If you are a player who wants to CO a side, contact me.

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2024, 05:28:50 PM »
Any idea on the start time of the frames?

hate to say it, but later times are getting better numbers...
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2024, 06:16:31 PM »
Any idea on the start time of the frames?

hate to say it, but later times are getting better numbers...

No time has been confirmed. However, the later time frame is in consideration.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2024, 12:36:16 PM »
Brooke's description sounds focused on the 100th BG, but I'm hoping the design allows for multiple bomb groups, either simultaneously if there are enough bomber pilots, or sequentially with frame by frame changes as Groups stand down to recover from losses, etc.   Once a registered squad leader has formed a squad, it wouldn't be difficult to change the name and use different B-17 skins on a subsequent frame, if necessary.

We have so many B-17G skins to choose from - up to (4) different skins from the 91st, for example - and that Group was in theater longer than the 100th and suffered even more casualties.  Couple of great skins form the 303rd as well, "Thunderbird" and "The Floose".

447th BG would include the default skin for those who haven't D/L'd custom skins, and "D-Day Doll" for those who have...

« Last Edit: January 04, 2024, 03:36:09 PM by oboe »

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2024, 04:22:14 PM »
Registration open:

https://ahevents.net/index.php/events/scenarios/current-or-next-scenario

Scenario regulars, get on in there to get the spot you want.  :aok

Tomorrow, I will announce it in the general section of the message board.