Author Topic: New monitor  (Read 1539 times)

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
New monitor
« on: December 17, 2023, 03:38:28 PM »
I have a very old 1080p 60hz monitor that's around 28" and I'd like to upgrade it. (on a budget)
I've tried to use an old 1080p tv that I have but it seems blurry.
I'm looking to spend less then $300, $200 being better.
Can I get anything decent for that?
Thanks in advance.

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
Re: New monitor
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2023, 04:46:01 PM »
I've been using 43' HDTV couple of years already. Basic model w/o any smart tingel tangels. Was in $ about 150 and works just fine. Nowadays one can get same size smart one under $200 here where I live.
The Mad   CatMan!

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2023, 08:17:52 PM »
These look kinda like a sideways upgrade to me. I was hoping to get something better. Maybe I'm missing something?

Most of those are larger and have a higher refresh rate than what you are currently using. Going up in resolution really depends on the capabilities of your system, primarily your gpu, but the cpu can have an effect as well.

:salute
Sik
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2023, 09:21:53 PM »
Got it. I currently have a 1080ti and I'm looking at a 4070 or 7800 and a monitor to go with it :)

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2023, 02:03:39 AM »
Got it. I currently have a 1080ti and I'm looking at a 4070 or 7800 and a monitor to go with it :)

1080ti is really capable to run almost what ever monitor. I'm using 1070ti and Benchmark is not bad at all for a mill made mostly from parts stolen from a local museum.
The Mad   CatMan!

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2023, 02:05:23 AM »
With a 4070 or 7800 a 1440p would be quite nice and even keep a steady 144 Hz speed in most games. For size I wouldn't go below 31.5" if you've been using 28" before - remember that size doesn't matter when it comes to monitors and the load they put on the PC, it's the pixel count and refresh rate. Another thing to take into account is that the more pixels in the same area the less need there is for AntiAliasing which means a crisper image.

The panel type matters some, but not necessarily too much. IPS has the widest viewing range so if you have company they would enjoy that the most. VA is by nature a bit faster but on a very wide flat screen the edges will look blurry and discoloured unless you choose a curved one in which case your viewing angle doesn't change too much.

No wonder the two cheapest fulfilling the above criteria are sold out! But there's some starting from $249 like https://www.bestbuy.com/site/viewsonic-omni-vx3218c-2k-32-lcd-qhd-freesync-premium-gaming-monitor-hdmi-and-displayport-black/6532802.p?skuId=6532802 and https://www.bestbuy.com/site/gigabyte-g32qc-a-32-led-curved-qhd-freesync-premium-pro-gaming-monitor-with-hdr-hdmi-displayport-usb-black/6462631.p?skuId=6462631. Unfortunately although both support FreeSync, neither is G-sync compatible at least by the Nvidia listing. Then again, if your video card can keep a steady frame rate that is no issue at all.

Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2023, 09:43:57 AM »
I have a very old 1080p 60hz monitor that's around 28" and I'd like to upgrade it. (on a budget)
I've tried to use an old 1080p tv that I have but it seems blurry.
I'm looking to spend less then $300, $200 being better.
Can I get anything decent for that?
Thanks in advance.

I have the same exact issue. Its choke-holding my vid card. Also why I have to do a lot of extra work to make my vids smoother. I can only set my card to what my monitor will do. I’m just not goin to go crazy buying expensive gear for the only game I play.
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2023, 12:46:21 PM »
The first one is OLED, it's also Samsung. The second one is just plain LED.

:cheers:

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2023, 01:17:43 PM »
The first one is OLED, it's also Samsung. The second one is just plain LED.

And utterly simplified this means that instead of one or ten or even thousands of backlight spots, OLED consists of lightbulbs for each pixel - almost five million in the monitor in question. Much more precise when it comes to leaving a single pixel dark.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2023, 01:26:47 PM »
Thanks for explaining.

Think it's worth 3x the price or is it just cause it's the newest thing?

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2023, 01:45:39 PM »
OLED has better blacks, better contrast, higher refresh rates, and wider field of view.

If it's worth three times the price really depends on you.

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2023, 01:47:49 PM »
Hah! It doesn't depend on me. I'd have to use my kids shoe money to buy one. I was just curious if it was that much of a difference.