Author Topic: New monitor  (Read 1545 times)

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
Re: New monitor
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2023, 01:57:34 PM »
Hah! It doesn't depend on me. I'd have to use my kids shoe money to buy one. I was just curious if it was that much of a difference.

That would still be dependent on you. What's more important your kids new shoes or a shiny new OLED monitor.  :devil

All kidding aside, I bought a new monitor a couple of years ago and just couldn't see spending the extra money for an OLED panel. I would like to have one, but the price needs to come down to a more reasonable level before I would consider buying one.

:cheers:
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2023, 02:03:52 PM »
Thanks. That helps.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2023, 02:14:16 PM »
What SIK1 says.

For gaming you don't need as good image quality as you would for image processing or even for watching movies. For some games people actually reduce image quality by applying more gamma to make dark areas more visible - even in AH I've heard about making the night light as day. Most monitors also have several presets, for games you may want a flashier colour scheme than for office apps and a preset helps to switch between them. That said you definitely don't want a monitor that will have ghost images following every moving pixel so there's a limit for how low quality is acceptable.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2023, 05:50:11 PM »
I am using a samsung 41 inch tv as a monitor. I have absolutely no problems with any blurring or artifacts while playing any games on the computer
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2023, 05:57:04 PM »
What SIK1 says.

For gaming you don't need as good image quality as you would for image processing or even for watching movies. For some games people actually reduce image quality by applying more gamma to make dark areas more visible - even in AH I've heard about making the night light as day. Most monitors also have several presets, for games you may want a flashier colour scheme than for office apps and a preset helps to switch between them. That said you definitely don't want a monitor that will have ghost images following every moving pixel so there's a limit for how low quality is acceptable.

Only takes a couple tenths of gamma points inside the AH settings to make the night turn to day. I used to use ok a few maps but I started to adjust to the nights and like it better without.
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline Prayer

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2023, 07:29:49 PM »
 I have the MSI Mag321qr. 31.5 inch 165 refresh 2k. It was 400 in Feb, looks like it can be had for about 228 now. It is a good monitor. I don’t care for the “anti glare” glaze during day time use. Keep a eye out for that when shopping online.

That being said I wish I would have went 4k. You can always lower resolution to 2k on 4k monitors but not the other way around.

My brother just upgraded to the newer 48 inch Oled LG C2. My gosh is that thing beautiful. Crisp and colors with more depth than I have ever seen. The difference is like looking at a regular tv back in the day then looking at a plasma screen. I wish I had not seen it as I will more than likely be getting one when the price drops below 600.

I switched over to v/r so it does not matter for ah for me. Switch to vr you will not regret it once you adjust

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2023, 10:40:26 PM »
I do have vr but some things are easier for me on the monitor. For example when I used to play AH3 I'd use the monitor in GVs otherwise I couldn't see anything and couldn't aim with the gunsite. Same for manned guns.

If I want to play a game that doesn't support vr I'd like to have something decent too. The monitor I use is like like 15 years old.

Would it be better for me to buy a tv instead of a monitor? Seems I could get a 50 inch tv for the same price as like a 34 inch monitor. Why would I want to or not want to?

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2023, 01:34:51 AM »
Would it be better for me to buy a tv instead of a monitor? Seems I could get a 50 inch tv for the same price as like a 34 inch monitor. Why would I want to or not want to?
A TV is basically a monitor with a transceiver. Basically.

There's a couple of differences, the first one being the actual panel. A TV doesn't have to be as accurate as a monitor, the colour reproducing can be more off without doing any harm in regular TV use. Also, when viewed at the normal working distance which is about an arm's length or 2˝ feet a large TV can look like Minecraft.

The more important thing to take into account is that many TV's have built-in enhancing technology. Sounds nice, works well with watching TV or movies. But those also create a significant input lag in the signal path! TV's that work well with PC's have a dedicated Gaming/PC setting that bypasses the image enhancers. Unfortunately that setting may be hidden in sub-sub-submenus.

There's reviews about the subject, search for "best pc gaming tv as monitor" or something similar. This seems to have quite a lot of good information: https://www.avforums.com/articles/the-best-tvs-for-pc-gaming-hdmi-2-1-4k-144hz-vrr-allm-dolby-vision.21020/
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2023, 02:27:04 AM »

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2023, 09:37:45 AM »
The Auto Game Mode sounds good at least on paper. The problem is they don't tell how long the "lowest possible input lag and latency" actually is and how it compares to other brands.

The other issue is size. 50 inches is huge to watch from close. Among the good things is that it's 4k as it can be lowered to 1080p for maximum performance by combining four pixels to one. But that would look really blocky from normal PC viewing distance. Oh, and it's 60Hz which means there won't be any improvement in fluency. Plus the "stand" is ridiculous. You'd need to get a wall/table mounting system to get the height and angle right.

Shortly put, I wouldn't consider that one as an upgrade by any means other than size.

Kotisivuni

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2023, 10:02:18 AM »
Get your kids shoes.  :aok
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2023, 12:52:14 PM »
I can afford shoes and a $300 monitor, just not a $900 one :)

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2023, 01:55:06 PM »
I've been thinking about replacing my current 30" 2560x1600 60Hz IPS Hewlett-Packard LP3065 with some decent 32" curved 144Hz one. The variety seems to be quite poor here at the moment, but there's a tempting Samsung for some €350. My only concern with that is that I may have to upgrade my video card as well to unleash all the power of such a monitor. A GTX 1660Ti might be the next bottleneck. But the friend mentioned earlier says that his reaction speed significantly improved first when he got the 1440p 144Hz monitor, the second time with a newer processor, i7-4790 to i7-10700 or 11700 with mobo and RAM of course, and then finally upgrading the GTX1080 to a Rx 6750 xt. So I guess I should give a new monitor a chance - actually the previous owner of this system was happy with such a monitor so maybe benchmarks don't tell the whole truth...

Kotisivuni

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2023, 02:17:50 PM »
The only thing Samsung I will touch is their phones. They missed me off with their low quality TVs some years back. Since they have had huge issues with washing machines and fridges. I steer clear of them.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2023, 06:06:42 PM »
All my screens are Samsung. I got in this habit a long time ago because I think they held the patent, regardless offered more options then I saw in other screens. Never had any problem with Samsung screens, but that's all I buy from them. I only had one 5 yr old TV go out,.. the rest I just updated.
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP