Author Topic: New monitor  (Read 1548 times)

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: New monitor
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2023, 01:45:04 AM »
The only thing Samsung I will touch is their phones. They missed me off with their low quality TVs some years back. Since they have had huge issues with washing machines and fridges. I steer clear of them.
Samsung makes screens for others like Apple and no one says they're of poor quality. Then again Samsung has bought screens for their less expensive TV sets from other manufacturers as their screen "department" wasn't able to keep up with the demand. Nothing inherently wrong with the Chinese panels as this article says: https://www.tomsguide.com/news/report-less-than-half-of-samsung-tvs-use-their-own-displays. However, the quality control may not be up to the task in all factories.

Computer displays are in general of better quality than TV's based on the fact that they're watched more closely and used for jobs that require pixel level accuracy. You wouldn't like to have extra dots in your Excel spreadsheet, would you?
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2023, 02:27:37 AM »
I guess I should give a new monitor a chance - actually the previous owner of this system was happy with such a monitor so maybe benchmarks don't tell the whole truth...

Is there a benchmark test for monitors somewhere available? When I jumped from 22' Samsung monitor to 43'HDTV, it was like opening a hatch in a tank. Almost real size cockpit is big advantage, especially in hardcore realistic sims w/o any hud.
The Mad   CatMan!

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2023, 07:34:15 AM »
I actually had one of their techs tell me their TVs are designed to last 5 years. Even though mine had the chip failure they were having issues with, they would not replace the chip. At the time, most of my electronics were samsung.... not any more.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2023, 09:35:29 AM »
Saw where some tv's require settings change to actually use higher resolution..even limited to some specific inputs on the television...

My Sony 55" was one of those

Eagler

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2023, 10:09:35 AM »
Is there a benchmark test for monitors somewhere available? When I jumped from 22' Samsung monitor to 43'HDTV, it was like opening a hatch in a tank. Almost real size cockpit is big advantage, especially in hardcore realistic sims w/o any hud.
I meant that video card benchmarks don't tell how well a card can handle a faster monitor with my setup and the games I play. Benchmarks based on data gathered from regular users can include anything from crapware filled underpowered systems to highly streamlined ones.

There's quite a lot of information available about monitors as well, I could find some sites that listed tens or even hundreds of them but no actual listing telling what's best came up at the first try.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2023, 10:32:13 AM »

This was also my experience switching to my 55” 4K. It almost feels too big sometimes lol. I may sit too close to it but I sort of like it. I’m maybe 18” from it or so. I also have my stick and throttle on the desktop in between. I have thought about maybe getting the desk mounts but I am not sure I will like it. The testing I have done makes my arms feel weird lol.
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2023, 11:31:55 AM »
I've owned several Samsung monitors.  They are good.

For the low-priced systems I build from time to time, I've used $90 Spectre and InnoView 24" 1080p monitors.  They have decent picture quality and have been fine so far.  I'm happy with them.  I don't have longevity data on those yet, though.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2023, 05:33:38 PM »
I've owned several Samsung monitors.  They are good.

For the low-priced systems I build from time to time, I've used $90 Spectre and InnoView 24" 1080p monitors.  They have decent picture quality and have been fine so far.  I'm happy with them.  I don't have longevity data on those yet, though.

Oops.  That should be "Sceptre" not "Spectre".

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2023, 01:49:40 AM »
The Mad   CatMan!

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2023, 04:28:01 PM »
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)