Author Topic: VR suggestions?  (Read 1139 times)

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
VR suggestions?
« on: December 31, 2023, 06:45:31 PM »
The more video and films I see with VR, the more inevitable it is to have it. Just stunning.

What brand or model works best with AH, since that's probably all I'll use it for.
Thanks in advance.
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
Re: VR suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2023, 08:03:27 PM »
Depends on your budget.

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2023, 10:30:32 PM »
Not so worried about budget to a point. Not looking to spend $2k. I think 1k is a good limit. $500, more better.
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks

Offline Prayer

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2023, 11:16:32 PM »
I have the Oculus Quest 2, it is the only VR headset I have or had the chance to use so far and very much recommend. It can be had used for around 200 with a better headstrap and a carry case. If you wear glasses I believe you can use different fittings.

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2024, 02:02:48 PM »
I have the Oculus Quest 2, it is the only VR headset I have or had the chance to use so far and very much recommend. It can be had used for around 200 with a better headstrap and a carry case. If you wear glasses I believe you can use different fittings.

I figured that would be the suggestion, I was just seeing if there was anything I was missing before I invest. Thanks
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2024, 02:08:31 PM »
Varjo Aero is supposed to be pretty good but it's out of my budget so I can't give any first hard info. Have you checked into that one?

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2024, 04:13:45 PM »
I have used the original vive pro with the fresnel lens removal/upgrade since December 2018

I like it as it is deep enough to allow my mr.magoo glasses to fit under it

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline xanax

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2024, 09:36:29 PM »
I have used the original vive pro with the fresnel lens removal/upgrade since December 2018

Eagler

Bifocals by chance, Eagler? I'm intrigued.
The Damned
Founded 1988

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2024, 06:43:47 AM »
Varjo Aero is supposed to be pretty good but it's out of my budget so I can't give any first hard info. Have you checked into that one?

No, never heard of it. I’ll check it out. Thanks.
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2024, 06:49:43 AM »

Eagler

I just wear cheep reader glasses (1.50), I wonder if I’ll need to wear them with VR. Spent WAY too much time on a pc in the past, anything that distance is blurry. Glad you brought that up.
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2024, 07:09:51 AM »
I just wear cheep reader glasses (1.50), I wonder if I’ll need to wear them with VR. Spent WAY too much time on a pc in the past, anything that distance is blurry. Glad you brought that up.

The view in the VR headset is NOT the view you get with a monitor. So if your long distance eyesight is ok, you should be ok with a headset. Mine is a bit off so I ordered a kit with some lens for my quest2 and they needed the long distance prescription for the lens

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2024, 07:11:28 AM »
I'm really keen on the Quest 3 - since they vastly improved passthrough tech. Quest 2 is great for PCVR but with the Quest 3 you can legitimately wear it around and do stuff (if you're into that sort of thing lol). Cost is huge though.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2024, 07:54:48 AM »
Bifocals by chance, Eagler? I'm intrigued.

Bifocals are my daily glasses but for computer and vr I use a single lens set to computer distance

My eyesight has been jacked up my entire life..was legally blind then had original RK done in 1990 before laser ...

Eyesight just getting worse now each year ..tried the script lens but didn't work for me

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2024, 01:17:46 PM »
Quest 3, Varjo Aero, Reverb G2 are the units I have right now.  I had a Quest Pro but sold it recently (decent unit as well).

Reverb G2 was the got to VR for a long time until the Aero came out.  I'm speaking in terms of flying another game (DCS) here.  Then the Aero came out and despite the huge cost tons of us went to it.  The price has come down to $1000 USD for the Aero, and it's hands down the best currently available unit for "reasonable" amounts of $.

The Reverb 2 is capable still as well and less than 1/2 the cost.  It is discontinued now or shortly though as the company that made it (HP) is getting out of VR production.  Unfortunate.

Quest 3.  It's 1/2 the Aero's cost at 500 ish dollars.  Meta's Quest Link Cable or a suitable alternative to connect to your PC for a PCVR-ish experience is an extra cost.  Virtual Desktop can be  used in AH I'm sure for wireless Wifi connections.  Battery lasts 2 to 4 hours though, so you still may want to go with the cable link with a cable that provides constant charging to the battery (I can provide an Amazon link to the one I use for the Q3).

Pimax Crystal is apparently amazing too, but costs even more than the Aero right now.

IMO for AH alone the Aero would be serious overkill.  AH isn't nearly as taxing as DCS, and doesn't really have the same visuals and hence requirements either.  AH looks great in VR though, I remember when I got my reviewer unit of the very first Occulus Rift, and when Dale/HT got his unit, he PM'd me and said "just fly the B17 and look at some of the exterior views".  Blown away.  And that was the Rift "1".  Now, any of the decent VR units will work well with AH IMO.

IMO if you can't find a good Reverb G2, the Q3 is really the only decent option today in the sub 500$ bracket.  The Pico 4 is an option too but I haven't tried it.  Quest 3 is a fantastic little unit, I like it even more than the Quest Pro, and it looks better than the G2 with tweaking even in Virtual Desktop mode. 

Or you can wait and see what 2024 brings.  Most of the upcoming units are high priced though, as in $1000 minimum. 

An decent Youtube channel to watch and search through for videos regarding flight sim VR questions here -  guy has an annoying voice, but usually solid intel and opinions.

https://www.youtube.com/@VRFlightSimGuy/videos 

https://www.youtube.com/@mixedrealityTV
« Last Edit: January 02, 2024, 01:23:22 PM by Gman »

Offline xanax

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2024, 04:18:23 PM »
Bifocals are my daily glasses but for computer and vr I use a single lens set to computer distance

My eyesight has been jacked up my entire life..was legally blind then had original RK done in 1990 before laser ...

Eyesight just getting worse now each year ..tried the script lens but didn't work for me

Eagler

Thanks, Eagler

I still have my old single lens specs so I should be good to go. For once my eyes didn't worsen script-wise but the cataracts are gonna need addressing reasonably soon. Stupid aging process!
The Damned
Founded 1988