Author Topic: VR suggestions?  (Read 1142 times)

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
Re: VR suggestions?
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2024, 06:21:07 PM »
I have the rift-s (discontinued) and quest 2 (less then $300) Both work well with AH3. The Quest 2 is newer and clearer, however in my experience the Rift-S is more reliable as it doesn't have battery issues. My Quest 2 will still go dead after a couple hours even using the link cable on a high charging port. (some have said it's the cable) I'm not sure.

You will have to click "use VR" on you monitor screen or it will appear that it gets stuck at the loading screen if you are looking at it in VR only.

If I didn't have 3 kids to buy shoes for I'd have one of those fancy pants ones but since I don't I figured I'd ad my 2 cents about what I have.

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2024, 06:22:40 PM »
Quest 3, Varjo Aero, Reverb G2 are the units I have right now.  I had a Quest Pro but sold it recently (decent unit as well).

Reverb G2 was the got to VR for a long time until the Aero came out.  I'm speaking in terms of flying another game (DCS) here.  Then the Aero came out and despite the huge cost tons of us went to it.  The price has come down to $1000 USD for the Aero, and it's hands down the best currently available unit for "reasonable" amounts of $.

The Reverb 2 is capable still as well and less than 1/2 the cost.  It is discontinued now or shortly though as the company that made it (HP) is getting out of VR production.  Unfortunate.

Quest 3.  It's 1/2 the Aero's cost at 500 ish dollars.  Meta's Quest Link Cable or a suitable alternative to connect to your PC for a PCVR-ish experience is an extra cost.  Virtual Desktop can be  used in AH I'm sure for wireless Wifi connections.  Battery lasts 2 to 4 hours though, so you still may want to go with the cable link with a cable that provides constant charging to the battery (I can provide an Amazon link to the one I use for the Q3).

Pimax Crystal is apparently amazing too, but costs even more than the Aero right now.

IMO for AH alone the Aero would be serious overkill.  AH isn't nearly as taxing as DCS, and doesn't really have the same visuals and hence requirements either.  AH looks great in VR though, I remember when I got my reviewer unit of the very first Occulus Rift, and when Dale/HT got his unit, he PM'd me and said "just fly the B17 and look at some of the exterior views".  Blown away.  And that was the Rift "1".  Now, any of the decent VR units will work well with AH IMO.

IMO if you can't find a good Reverb G2, the Q3 is really the only decent option today in the sub 500$ bracket.  The Pico 4 is an option too but I haven't tried it.  Quest 3 is a fantastic little unit, I like it even more than the Quest Pro, and it looks better than the G2 with tweaking even in Virtual Desktop mode. 

Or you can wait and see what 2024 brings.  Most of the upcoming units are high priced though, as in $1000 minimum. 

An decent Youtube channel to watch and search through for videos regarding flight sim VR questions here -  guy has an annoying voice, but usually solid intel and opinions.

https://www.youtube.com/@VRFlightSimGuy/videos 

https://www.youtube.com/@mixedrealityTV

That's some good info there (and above), thanks for taking the time. Seems like the pattern is Q3 for middle of the road great quality. I'd go away higher if I had some reassurance the game will be around, same with a stick, I'd go full tilt Virpil. <shrug> but that's not where we are right now.
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2024, 07:55:40 AM »
That's some good info there (and above), thanks for taking the time. Seems like the pattern is Q3 for middle of the road great quality. I'd go away higher if I had some reassurance the game will be around, same with a stick, I'd go full tilt Virpil. <shrug> but that's not where we are right now.

I would not base any computer upgrade on AH specs alone...

Why spend the money for such low specs that are low compared to most other games

If you are going to invest in vr you might want to go higher than lower imo

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2024, 08:46:26 AM »
I would not base any computer upgrade on AH specs alone...

Why spend the money for such low specs that are low compared to most other games

If you are going to invest in vr you might want to go higher than lower imo

Eagler

Like normal., just looking for best bang for the buck. Quality is always first with me. I have no clue which is better. Its a pretty wide pricing range. Currently, I’m limited for time I spend on the one game I have installed. Maybe, when I have more time, and really into it, I’ll blow $2k. So finding good quality for the price is where I am now. I’ll check out every suggestion, for sure.
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2024, 11:47:19 AM »
I'm not sure that this would work but I think if you order from Amazon you can return them within 30 days. You could buy the top contenders and try them out and return the ones you didn't like and enlighten us all on the pros and cons of each.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2024, 06:08:53 PM »
I'm really keen on the Quest 3 - since they vastly improved passthrough tech. Quest 2 is great for PCVR but with the Quest 3 you can legitimately wear it around and do stuff (if you're into that sort of thing lol). Cost is huge though.

Quest 3 is great value for money right now. My boys saved up for one over the holidays and I am thoroughly impressed. The size and weight and clarity of the image are awesome. I still use an original Rift CV1 for AH, and have a Quest 1 as well. My original VR headsets were twice to three times the price of the Quest 3 and absolute crap compared - so I don't think the Quest 3 cost is that bad.

If you have a decent access point (good 5Ghz) you can also run the Quests wirelessly via the native software (and AH supports this). Of course you are then limited by the battery life of the Quest,  but there are extra battery options there as well.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2024, 06:15:14 PM by Vulcan »

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2024, 04:23:50 AM »
Vulcan has been in the VR/MR game since long before anyone I've known across 1/2 a dozen online/multiplayer flight sims, so if you listen to anyone, listen to him, his info has always been very accurate.

I ordered a cable recommended by many sim pilots in another sim, which while removes the wireless feature of the Quest 3, it does give it longer play time/power.  What do you think of this option Vulcan?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09TN25765?ref_=cm_sw_r_apan_dp_PW7MP9W5W8ZXJBX93TMN&th=1

Somnium's new consumer level VR headset has been previewed on a couple sites - disappointing IMO, not really much better (worse in a few areas) than the current top units like the Varjo Aero and Pimax Crystal, yet significantly more expensive.  Going to be a pass from me.

I have a chance to get a very cheap Pico 4 right now that's in my native country already, so I may give it a whirl to see what's what.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2024, 07:55:01 AM »
Quest 3 is great value for money right now. My boys saved up for one over the holidays and I am thoroughly impressed. The size and weight and clarity of the image are awesome. I still use an original Rift CV1 for AH, and have a Quest 1 as well. My original VR headsets were twice to three times the price of the Quest 3 and absolute crap compared - so I don't think the Quest 3 cost is that bad.

If you have a decent access point (good 5Ghz) you can also run the Quests wirelessly via the native software (and AH supports this). Of course you are then limited by the battery life of the Quest,  but there are extra battery options there as well.

Oh yeah, bang for your buck I agree. I just have a Quest 2 and can't justify the upgrade to the Quest 3 yet, unless I want to watch youtube videos while walking around the house looking like a tool. :)

Maybe in a few months if I can get ~$150 for my Quest 2 and can pick up the 3 for ~$400 I'd pull the trigger.

I recently installed a new Google Mesh system and read afterwards that the Quest no likey mesh, so threw my old Netgear router back in place just for the Quest. I've used Airlink with AH and MSFS and have never had issues (besides battery life like you said).
« Last Edit: January 07, 2024, 07:57:00 AM by Spikes »
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2024, 11:43:12 AM »
I used the Reverb G2 for AH before switching to a combat simulator.  It worked well.  Recently switched to a Pimax Crystal.  It is more expensive than an Aero, but it has built in audio, wider field of view, and better blacks (contrasts and night flying).  Also the Aero does not have controllers and will require them if you play anything other than a seated sim.

I would be cautious of any VR headset that does not have a PC connection.  WiFi just doesn't cut it as far as latency is concerned.

Biggest suggestion:  Buy a VR headset from a vendor that has a good 30-day return policy.  VR is VERY personalized, not only in visuals, but comfort, and audio.  Face/head shape make a big difference in visuals as well as comfort.  There is also the issue of motion sickness for some (that can be overcome through practice).  I would suggest a vendor like Amazon with their "for any reason" return policy.

Hope this helps

TShark
"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, run like hell...You're outnumbered" - Joe Foss USMC 26 kills

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2024, 11:52:16 PM »
If you have motion sickness issues try having a fan blowing on your face, it makes a surprising difference.

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2024, 11:52:59 AM »
I used the Reverb G2 for AH before switching to a combat simulator.  It worked well.  Recently switched to a Pimax Crystal.  It is more expensive than an Aero, but it has built in audio, wider field of view, and better blacks (contrasts and night flying).  Also the Aero does not have controllers and will require them if you play anything other than a seated sim.

I would be cautious of any VR headset that does not have a PC connection.  WiFi just doesn't cut it as far as latency is concerned.

Biggest suggestion:  Buy a VR headset from a vendor that has a good 30-day return policy.  VR is VERY personalized, not only in visuals, but comfort, and audio.  Face/head shape make a big difference in visuals as well as comfort.  There is also the issue of motion sickness for some (that can be overcome through practice).  I would suggest a vendor like Amazon with their "for any reason" return policy.

Hope this helps

You can buy the Pimax Crystal with or without controllers from their website.  You can also buy an attachment which will allow you to use Steam lighthouse trackers, but IMO one of the big advantages of the Crystal over the Varjo Aero is you don't have to spend a lot of extra $$$ on lighthouse sensors x2 like you do with the Aero.  The Crystal and Aero are nearly the same price when you factor in the 2 lighthouse sensors with the $999 Varjo Aero price.  I've had the Aero a long time now, it was "the" standard until the Crystal came out.  I'm going to order a Crystal myself shortly, as I had one of Pimax's previous units, and really like the field of view compared to the Aero. 

A lot of sim players at "the jet sim" simulator are using the Quest 3 without a PCVR cable connection, and having great success.  I too am very skeptical of not using a cable to PC connected VR unit (and not just because of the battery issue), and there are lots of players there are using a USBC-A cable with an additional charging plug in order to keep the Quest 3 charged up constantly. 

https://www.amazon.com/JSAUX-Compatible-Accessories%E3%80%90-Charging-Playing/dp/B0BM93GWF1/ref=psdc_229575_t1_B09TN25765
« Last Edit: January 09, 2024, 12:11:27 PM by Gman »

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2024, 12:04:35 PM »
I have owned the Lenovo Explorer, the HP Reverb, the Reverb G2, and the Quest 2.   

After all the futzing with both Reverbs and their cable issues, knowing what I know now - if I had it to do over again I would've skipped the Reverbs and the Quest 2 and just gotten the Valve Index package with base stations and controllers. 

If I had done that, I'd probably still be using the Index today; instead I'm dealing with dropouts and connection problems on my second replacement cable for the Reverb G2.   Plus HP tech support is so problematic for out-of-warranty items (read nonexistent) I can't imagine I will ever buy an HP product again.  IMO the Index is now a generation behind and needs a steep price cut to remain competitive so I wouldn't get one today.  But if I had dropped the cash on it back then, I'd have my base stations and controllers and be all set for an upgrade to the Aero.

The Quest 2 had solid software, good build quality, but was too front-heavy for me, even with the 3 different strap designs I tried.   Decent displays, somewhat small FOV - but the Quest 2 + link cable would be a good starter unit just to try VR and see if you like it.  Would keep some resale value too if you decide you love VR and want to upgrade to a more expensive and capable unit.   
« Last Edit: January 09, 2024, 12:13:06 PM by oboe »

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2024, 02:49:35 PM »
A lot of sim players at "the jet sim" simulator are using the Quest 3 without a PCVR cable connection, and having great success.  I too am very skeptical of not using a cable to PC connected VR unit (and not just because of the battery issue), and there are lots of players there are using a USBC-A cable with an additional charging plug in order to keep the Quest 3 charged up constantly. 

I tried AH on wireless when the Quest 1 first came out, had no issues at all and the framerates were only slightly lower than my Rift. I did however have a dedicated 5Ghz wifi access point setup for it (I have a small horde of spare APs).