Author Topic: Dot Dar  (Read 2853 times)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Dot Dar
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2024, 02:13:33 PM »
Well after 20 years of watching things happen here there were two things that helped push people out of the game.

The changes to dar/gv dar
The lameness of resupply instead of fighting for your base

Sucked the intensity of a fight right out of the game for the majority of a 24 hour period.

Agree 100% add in the addition of the trees chased away about half of the GVers.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2024, 02:52:55 PM »
Well after 20 years of watching things happen here there were two things that helped push people out of the game.

The changes to dar/gv dar
The lameness of resupply instead of fighting for your base

Sucked the intensity of a fight right out of the game for the majority of a 24 hour period.

I don't like the easy resupply either.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2024, 04:46:15 PM »
I would hardly call it Easy re-supply. Having to drive 3.25 to 5 miles through trees and terrain, with aircraft hunting you. Then it takes at least 3 loads, unless it has been soaking for a bit. :devil
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2024, 06:20:04 PM »
I would hardly call it Easy re-supply. Having to drive 3.25 to 5 miles through trees and terrain, with aircraft hunting you. Then it takes at least 3 loads, unless it has been soaking for a bit. :devil

It's a lot easier than defending a base.  In conjunction with an unscored manned gun category its a double negative.

The majority of this game now flock to the above mentioned... not the roots of this game.

The adrenaline of a fight is worth 14.95... not the dumbdfuggery of sitting in a gun and running E supps.

Why do you think the game is where it is?  I can kill m3s for days.... you think I'm going to pay 14.95 for some dbag to hide in a bush... unlikely.

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2024, 07:08:59 PM »
Yeah, the change from dot to airplane icon that shows you direction was a deal breaker.  What is the point of flying a bomber now?

Not when you can do it with almost 100% immunity at a factory to rack up easy perkies.  Resupply has always been broken easy to me from day one of my time here.  That being said I tend to run the C-47 for resup, just to make it more interesting for me.  That's not to say I didn't use vehicles, but only when the base was under attack since there was a solid chance to get nipped.  And ballz to that "hiding in a bush" thing, I'd make a hot dash to get those sups out.  :)
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2024, 08:47:37 PM »
It's a lot easier than defending a base.  In conjunction with an unscored manned gun category its a double negative.

The majority of this game now flock to the above mentioned... not the roots of this game.

The adrenaline of a fight is worth 14.95... not the dumbdfuggery of sitting in a gun and running E supps.

Why do you think the game is where it is?  I can kill m3s for days.... you think I'm going to pay 14.95 for some dbag to hide in a bush... unlikely.

It is hard to defend a base when  you can't get off the runway, or you get bomb****ed trying to get to town.

I suspect your desire is for all gv's to be eliminated, and all action to be strictly by air. If so, that is both unrealistic and a sure way to kill the game.

I would have no problem with us going back to the simple dot dar, and eliminate the gv dar. But bear in mind the gv dar came about because flyboys couldn't find them, nor could they figure out why a base was flashing with no enemy cons in the Radar ring.

Of course all this would be moot if we had the numbers back. :bolt:
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2024, 01:15:24 AM »
It is hard to defend a base when  you can't get off the runway, or you get bomb****ed trying to get to town.

I suspect your desire is for all gv's to be eliminated, and all action to be strictly by air. If so, that is both unrealistic and a sure way to kill the game.

I would have no problem with us going back to the simple dot dar, and eliminate the gv dar. But bear in mind the gv dar came about because flyboys couldn't find them, nor could they figure out why a base was flashing with no enemy cons in the Radar ring.

Yep. Defending alone against horde picking every attempt to get up is really not very plausible option, even pickerboys want is as it offers easy kills and points, points...     :x
The Mad   CatMan!

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2024, 01:54:29 AM »
for all gv's to be eliminated, and all action to be strictly by air. If so, that is both unrealistic and a sure way to kill the game.

Yeah, if GV's were removed there would be no way in hell I'd come back.

I would have no problem with us going back to the simple dot dar, and eliminate the gv dar.

HiTech has been very patient with me when I was not in a good state (which ultimately I had to let my sub lapse), so I want to get my subscription back up and running.  But I just wouldn't play because of the dar system in place currently.  That is something I just cannot afford right now.  In the future yes, but even I don't know how far in the future that would be.  Things are even more rough for me right now, so I'm sticking to games where I don't need to adhere to a subscription right now.

the gv dar came about because flyboys couldn't find them, nor could they figure out why a base was flashing with no enemy cons in the Radar ring.

Nor were they willing to, you know, use the Storch, an aircraft that was introduced just for this very thing.  That's all on them.  I'd say drop the gv dar but given the number state not being fantastic, it's a concession I'd have to live with for time being.  I will still say it is asinine though.
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2024, 06:01:53 AM »

Well.. what does bomb**** have to do with resupply?  What about getting off the runway? Watch the map and take off before a base is prepped.. take off a base back and defend if it's capped.  Drive a tank to town. 

I don't need a gv dar to find a gv.  Draw a direct line between town and spawn or base and spawn and that's where they are.  I'd much rather have reasonable gv icon range than a darbar for them.

You can try and defend resupply antics in this game all you want, but it's bucks the action out of a game people already don't want to pay for monthly. 

If there was more action and less truck driving, you might lure a few more folks in for the long haul.

I didn't get hooked on this game by hiding In a tree or resupplying a town that was poorly defended.

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2024, 09:53:01 AM »
Lazer, I love you man, but you and I will never agree on this issue, you are wrong.

As to bomb****ing, you do that already, dealing with gv's. That is how you deal with the re-supp issue, or get some players to come in with tanks to kill the m3's.

If you don't need the gv dar to find gv's, do you have it turned Off?

As to the gv icon range, I am indifferent to it. Go ahead and increase it, make it 1k or 1.5k, that has no bearing on a gv buried in the trees.

I wish you well my friend.  :salute
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2024, 09:09:12 PM »
My only issue with just a flashing base was that it gave no indication of how many tanks there were, or any indication of what was going on. You could roll a tank and drive for 15-20 min and not find someone. Or just get hit once out of no where and your sortie is over. Or go find a guy shooting building by themselevs hoping no one engages lol. BOOORING. But really, for new guys, a flashing base with absolutely nothing on radar doesn't scream action. 
« Last Edit: February 26, 2024, 09:11:33 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2024, 08:49:48 AM »
Still think the answer to the state AH is now is to have scheduled and player launched AI missions that you can join or attack..

AI would be bombing and fighters protecting the bombers

AI resupply missions could be launched as could gv ground attacks

As paying customers are dwindling and AI is all the rave these days, I see it as a way to breathe new life into the game

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2024, 12:41:24 PM »
Still think the answer to the state AH is now is to have scheduled and player launched AI missions that you can join or attack..

AI would be bombing and fighters protecting the bombers

AI resupply missions could be launched as could gv ground attacks

As paying customers are dwindling and AI is all the rave these days, I see it as a way to breathe new life into the game

Eagler

If I wanted to fight AI I'd go play DCS and run missions all day. No thank you.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2024, 12:58:32 PM »
If I wanted to fight AI I'd go play DCS and run missions all day. No thank you.

It would be in addition to the live targets that are there now with AI skill from newbie to veteran..

If things don't change dcs and il2 will be our options..just trying to avoid that future

To have the ability to launch an AI fighter to cover your bomber or m3 sounds like a neat change to me

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Online LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2024, 01:00:59 PM »
A lot of the tools that were put in place (88s and m3 runs) were put in place to combat mass hordes that we don’t really have anymore. They had their place but I don’t think they’re all that useful for game play these days.

Every time I hear an 88 popping off, I just get reminded that there is another player in an ever dwindling community that isn’t participating in meaningful combat. While I can appreciate the skill it takes to get accurate with those things, they’re little more than a distraction as I buzz around the virtual skies. I can’t remember the last time I was actually hit by one but it won’t stop someone from sitting in one missing me for 15-20 minutes. It’s frustrating because, in my head, that’s a player that could be in a plane or a GV contributing to what I pay for which is player on player combat. Instead they’re basically avoiding any risk and contributing nothing in the way of action.

I believe M3s resup had its place too. But it’s now become the default in base defense. Why actually challenge aircraft or tanks when you can wipe out three or more players efforts to shut down a town with a single short drive (and why is driving faster than flying?). Again, it’s especially frustrating for me when I realize that’s another player that I could be pitting my skills against who is no longer in combat.

Proximity dar has dumbed down the need to apply any kind of SA or thought. It makes it easier for pickers to find already ganged targets which used to require some sort of communication or extrapolation. Cockpit visibility as an attribute is negated because you don’t even need to look outside to see the enemy. Just bring up the map and you know exactly where the enemy is and what it is (fighter/bomber). Clouds are pointless because you can, not only see aircraft on your map, but know exactly which direction they’re flying. No need to investigate whether it’s a fighter or bomber. No need to wonder if you’re putting yourself in jeopardy if you bounce someone. All right there on your map.

"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke
P-47 pilot 56th Fighter Group.