Author Topic: Converting Aces High Films to AVI  (Read 311 times)

Offline potsNpans

• Nickel Member
Converting Aces High Films to AVI
« on: January 14, 2024, 10:39:48 AM »
Is there any new info on this pinned topic that could be updated? If any one has a 'how to' would be helpful. Search had some but latest result was 2018.

Offline steely07

• Silver Member
Re: Converting Aces High Films to AVI
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2024, 04:16:59 PM »
I beleive the consensus is, the avi convert from film viewer is hiy and miss at best, IMHO best move is, grab some screen recording software, OBS, Shadowplay, Action!, Bandicam etc, open your film in the viewer, hit record on your software, play in the viewer and go fullscreen in the viewer, basically re-record it.

You should then be able to save an mp4 from your software and go from there
Aces High, Wing Commander, Dickweed Heavy Bomber Group: www.dickweedhbg.com

FSO Films : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFs6CAXBQoVBctljybD65fA?view_as=subscriber

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2024, 12:43:03 PM »
Is there any new info on this pinned topic that could be updated? If any one has a 'how to' would be helpful. Search had some but latest result was 2018.

I've taken my shot at the AHFV to AVI technique, it's kinda fubar. I'm sure somewhere there is a honey spot, but I haven't found it.

I might suggest doing clips in 8-bit AVI format for editing, and if wanted move to 32-bit before last rendering to MP4. The combination of AHFV and screen capture produces many more options than just using AHFV.

Also remember, how your settings like terrain detail, voice and sound mix one makes in game is the same as in AHFV, it's actually running game data. Animations do not stop in AHFV, they run as long as it's open, such as day to night, even if you're stopped. Some animations such as explosions and damage models items will only run once per session. The film will have to be restarted to get that final full animations back.

AHFV a PITA to learn because it's not intuitive at all. Some sliders take on different roles depending on the mode it's set to.Once it's mastered you're only limited by your own imagination. if I can learn it, anyone can learn it. Have fun with it.
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP

Offline Kermit de frog

• Gold Member
      • LGM Films
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2024, 03:48:44 PM »
The Film Viewer can be played in Full screen to your primary monitor.  You can then use a screen recording software to convert the video on screen to avi/mp4.

Time's fun when you're having flies.

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2024, 08:41:28 AM »
The Film Viewer can be played in Full screen to your primary monitor.  You can then use a screen recording software to convert the video on screen to avi/mp4.

Various ways to do it. I only have one screen, I use the rectangle in Bandicam to capture the ahfv screen.

I haven’t tried the Lagarith codec in ahfv yet. I think with newer PCs they produce a much smoother graphics than back when ahfv was created. Not sure its worth the effort. Back then it MAY have been the better option with slower PCs. Screen capture apps have progressed quite a bit too. The issue with using things like bandicut to edit many clips out of a video is the file its getting processed / codec conversions and saved too much to retain 100% quality. Again, all depends on the PC and vid card.

I think, any one of the suggestions in the thread is easier than ahfv saving to avi.

Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks

Offline potsNpans

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2024, 07:24:43 PM »
Thanks for the information. Any opinion on using Win10 game bar for capture?

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2024, 01:55:54 PM »
I’ve only used it once. I don’t see why not.

Just remember, you really need a high resolution to compensate for YouTube degrading.
Experiment to see if you like it, if it has the right options for your style. If not, as you see, there are alternative solutions,
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks

Offline potsNpans

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2024, 02:57:20 PM »
 :aok