Author Topic: Saitek Rudder Pedals Right Toe Is A No Go  (Read 289 times)

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
Saitek Rudder Pedals Right Toe Is A No Go
« on: January 19, 2024, 06:45:11 PM »
I noticed lately I had trouble stopping and taxiing planes and come to find out the right toe doesn’t register in windows anymore. Tried all the unplugging and restarting. I was just telling someone how great they have worked for almost 15 years lol. All other axis work great.

Anyone have experience fixing this isssue? Guess I have to open it up.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2024, 06:49:07 PM by Dadtallica »
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline Kermit de frog

• Gold Member
      • LGM Films
Re: Saitek Rudder Pedals Right Toe Is A No Go
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2024, 08:00:56 PM »
I noticed lately I had trouble stopping and taxiing planes and come to find out the right toe doesn’t register in windows anymore. Tried all the unplugging and restarting. I was just telling someone how great they have worked for almost 15 years lol. All other axis work great.

Anyone have experience fixing this isssue? Guess I have to open it up.

Yup. Same thing happened to my set.  It's common issue.

In my case the plastic mold with the hole the spring clips to broke off, so I glued it back on.  I also modified the spring to ease up on the tension because the glue didn't hold at first attempt.  So my left brake now has a tiny bit more play before it engages, but it's holding up for 1 year now and if it breaks again, I'll just replace it with something else.
Time's fun when you're having flies.

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2024, 09:28:04 PM »

Yup. Same thing happened to my set.  It's common issue.

In my case the plastic mold with the hole the spring clips to broke off, so I glued it back on.  I also modified the spring to ease up on the tension because the glue didn't hold at first attempt.  So my left brake now has a tiny bit more play before it engages, but it's holding up for 1 year now and if it breaks again, I'll just replace it with something else.

Amazon to the rescue it is lol
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2024, 10:27:45 PM »
The pot maybe bad also.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Kermit de frog

• Gold Member
      • LGM Films
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2024, 08:49:07 PM »
Yeah the pot maybe bad.

I had my pedals in storage and once I pulled them out to use, I found them to have 2 issues.   One was brake was floppy and second issue was no values being registered, both on the left brake.

I'm not sure what fixed the values registering.  As soon as I took it apart to fix spring issue, the brake started registering values again on the pot.  On my second attempt at fixing spring, the pot stopped registering values again, and so on my 4th attempt, I simply took it apart and put it back together. 

Maybe it was a loose wire/solder joint, maybe a pinched wire.  They are very fine wires.  Been working for 15 months now.
Time's fun when you're having flies.

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2024, 09:26:42 PM »
So I actually took it apart and fixed it for now. One of the toe wires was slightly frayed. They use amazingly thin gauge wire for that connection. Three in total. I just soldered a slightly bigger wire at the kink.

It reminded me of repairing all my electronic drum kits these last twenty years because most drum pad manufactures use very thin wires for the connections the piezo sensors. They fail pretty fast when you play Metallica and Foo Fighters regularly lol.  :rock

Once you solder some thicker gauge wire on them they last so much longer.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2024, 09:29:06 PM by Dadtallica »

Offline Alpo

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2024, 09:56:07 AM »
 :eek:

This is exactly the same thing MY Saitek pedals are doing (toe break failure).  I guess I'll take mine apart and see if I can gum up the works with a soldering iron.

:(
SkyKnights Fighter Group -CO-
R.I.P.  SKDenny 02/03/1940 - 02/19/2012

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2024, 10:39:19 AM »
I was lucky the break was visible. It still goes out from time to time. I will probably just get new ones at some point.