Author Topic: Dog Fights and Dive Bombing  (Read 328 times)

Offline Baloo

• Copper Member
Dog Fights and Dive Bombing
« on: January 23, 2024, 09:16:35 PM »
Need help with both for my poor P38...I know practice makes perfect. Seighin taught me to fly originally, I retained some things but am really hurting at getting cons off my 6 and turning disadvantages into advantages. Any trainers out there adept at the 38? Please help  :salute
Squadron: Arabian Knights

In Game Name: AKBaloo

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Dog Fights and Dive Bombing
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2024, 10:11:03 PM »
I had a fun fight against you Baloo. You flew the 38 well, but in our fight you were at a disadvantage. I had the alt in a P47 and just didnt give you a shot.

In todays arena the 38 should be flown more as an E fighter than the turner it can be. Too many fast planes and not enough players looking to actually fight.  :( The fights  today are more about speed and picking unfortunately. At speed the 38 doesnt come around quick enough to be a problem for most fighters. Spit16s, yaks, D9s, and ponies picking make it a bit tougher to fight in the P38 unless you keep your speed up.

The 38 doesnt slow down fast enough to cause a good overshoot. It can be done but the "pickers" expect the maneuver so it is hard to pull off. Descending radius turns rolling into a barrel roll still works well, but timing comes with practice.

Im no trainer, but I make a good target if we can find a time to hook up.

<S>

Offline Baloo

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2024, 09:23:46 AM »
Thanks Fugitive! Yea...there's been a number of times where I thought I should have the advantage, got speed got alt...and whats this? even  a Niki climbing right up my arse  :rofl. I appreciate the feedback very much! Exactly the type of info I need. See you up there!  :salute

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2024, 10:33:52 AM »
I wish I felt up to giving some help but it’s all I can do to just fly FSO to keep the rust off.

Fugi is right best to use the 38 as an E fighter,utilize the energy egg principle and use the roll rate to keep your lift vector on the enemy. For defence try a hard break turn going into a barrel roll to force the overshoot. This will require some practice with timing as the enemy is closer than he/she appears.

If you’re having difficulties with shooting I’d suggest some time in the TA where you can turn on the lead calculating gunsight to see how much lead you actually need. I suggest working on the sight picture rather than shooting but you can do both and it should help with that aspect.

Hope that adds some help.

<S>

Offline Baloo

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2024, 10:57:02 AM »
Hey morfiend! I remember that name from ages ago! Thank you for the input Sir! I am definitely planning to get in the TA tonight and use the sights for practice. Also I definitely need to work on all my timings :salute

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2024, 12:13:58 PM »
Thx for remembering me!

You can use the log offline you just need to set it up, flightmodeflags, to activate the log and bomb sight, IIRC you can setup this in a private arena. It’s well worth the effort and time.

Offline Baloo

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2024, 08:58:49 PM »
Of course I'd remember you, you and AkAk - my 38 heroes when i was but a teenager  :D 

Thanks for that, I did run some sorties in the TA - then got a VH down all by myself today hahah  :aok

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2024, 09:22:50 PM »
Of course I'd remember you, you and AkAk - my 38 heroes when i was but a teenager  :D 

Thanks for that, I did run some sorties in the TA - then got a VH down all by myself today hahah  :aok

:salute AkAk rip! Only plane I could ever shoot him down in was the A6 but it was few and far between. He would hang that 38 like a kite and ironically the Zero was the only thing I could come close to hanging around in. Maybe shot him down ten times or less total in my first few years to his dozens of me.

Anyway, I am no good in a 38 A2A but I do fly a lot of jabo with it to pork and drop hangers. The right gunsight for that is critical. I’ve settled on the USAL3rkt sight for most of my fighter/bomber planes. It has good sights for rockets and bombing. Line up your target 1-3K away between the two dashes and most bombs hit flush.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2024, 09:24:44 PM by Dadtallica »
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline Baloo

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2024, 07:21:07 AM »
Sweet, thanks Dad! Will give it a go today  :salute