Author Topic: Continuing Saga of the Stubborn Reverb G2  (Read 1288 times)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Re: Continuing Saga of the Stubborn Reverb G2
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2024, 08:36:31 AM »
Good to know, edge, thank you.  Looking forward to seeing the price of the "Core" version.   For me, the size and weight of the Crystal are drawbacks.  I remember what relief I felt when I moved from the front-heavy Quest 2 to the Reverb G2 - the Reverb felt at once lighter and much more comfortable.   But I understand the Crystal has incredible color displays and great resolution, so it's still on my short list.   Would like more news about the Shiftall MeganeX as well.

Additional news about my G2 - was able to try it out on my son's machine (Ryzen 3700x, 2070 Super, Win10) and it worked like a charm.   But back on my machine (11700K, 3080 10Gb, Win10) it either fails to start with a 1-4 cable error, or it starts up OK but then the headset image "blacks out" randomly.  Even with the headset blacked out, I can still see the proper images on my monitor, and it shows the headset tracking properly when I move it around or change its angle.

I'm going to have my son use the G2 on his computer in a game for a while as a stress test, to see if the issue crops up.

If the G2 passes the stress test on this other machine, then I'm left thinking it may be a problem with my video card, or motherboard USB-C port, or some conflict with software?    I'm running the Steam VR beta version, so I may delete that and reinstall the standard release version.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2024, 02:20:41 PM »
The G2 failed the stress test, and started behaving just like it does on my machine, in addition, the signal to one of displays has now started to flake all kinds of spurious colors and patterns.   So, my machine is off the hook.

I did uninstall the SteamVR beta and reinstall the release version, and reinstalled the latest drivers for my GPU, and rebooted afterward.  Didn't help.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2024, 08:41:44 AM »
Oboe, “or it starts up OK but then the headset image "blacks out" randomly.  Even with the headset blacked out, I can still see the proper images on my monitor, and it shows the headset tracking properly when I move it around or change its angle.”, I have also had this frequent “blackout” issue.  That happened with the cable my replacement G2 came with but, not with the new cable I’ve been using for about two months.  So, I attribute that to crap from the HP factory, as well as the barely inoperative, much time wasted troubleshooting, barely operable mic of my first G2.  Somehow, I was able to to stumble across a very helpful tech at HP who expedited a new replacement for original defective version.  Unfortunately, the phone number I used for that encounter, is no longer active.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2024, 11:17:08 AM by Puma44 »

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2024, 09:40:46 AM »
I tried an experiment yesterday - I stopped plugging the Reverb's power brick into the same outlet as my PC and peripherals are plugged into.   Instead, I ran an extension cord to an outlet on a different circuit and plugged the Reverb's power into that, just theorizing that the load of my PC and its power-hungry graphics card might be affecting the quality of the AC power signal and causing the Reverb problems.

I also sprayed the cable's DP and USB-C connectors with an electrical contact cleaner and I removed the cable guide clip from the headband and just let the cable just fall naturally to the side of the headset.   

So far the results are promising - the Reverb powered up properly when I started WMR, AH, and IL-2.  I was able to play a total of a few hours without a single blackout.

I'll keep you guys posted.

I watched the Pimax reveal yesterday.   I almost pre-ordered the Light, but decided to hold off.  I'm definitely interested in learning more about the new units.   $1799 for the Super seems hard to justify, but it may make DCS more accessible with its eye-tracking, which the $699 doesn't have.   I'd like to see a flightsim YouTuber review the new units first. 

EDIT:   Wasn't working this morning.  Spent an nearly an hour trying to get it working - unplugging, replugging, restarting PC, disconnecting all connectors & reconnecting (even the DP at the headset itself, which requires removing the faceplate).  Uninstalled SteamVR and reinstalled.   Finally, pressing the power button on and off on the Reverb's cable box seemed to work - although powering down and unplugging would've accomplished the same effect and I did that multiple times earlier.   Its like a temperamental old car that just sometimes refuses to start no matter what, until it finally does. 

« Last Edit: April 16, 2024, 12:23:45 PM by oboe »

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2024, 11:22:33 AM »
Shouldn't be long to wait for the Crystal Light to come out.  If you were just going to play AHIII then the "Light" would be a great upgrade from the G2.  If you are going to play DCS, MSFS, or future flight sims then eye-tracking becomes very important for the performance boost.

Also highly recommend the DMAS audio upgrade for any Crystal.

TShark
"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, run like hell...You're outnumbered" - Joe Foss USMC 26 kills