Author Topic: Heat issue?  (Read 858 times)

Offline xanax

• Copper Member
Heat issue?
« on: February 16, 2024, 09:51:20 PM »
For starters, I haven’t had a Windows PC for roughly 20 years so I’m kind of out of the loop. I just bought a PC with a 13th gen I7, a fancy Nvidia 3060(?) and 64gigs of ram. So I ramp up all the settings in AH to awesome and get shot up at 180 in the frame rate department. It looks spectacular as my plane plummets to earth without a right wing.
I notice however the CPU temp is 85°C at times while the card is nice and cool. Is AH more CPU intensive and far less GPU intensive? If so, is my CPU temp too high? I guess if it is, I could re-do the thermal paste or put a non-stock cooler on top of it but I’m hoping it’s normal to see temps like this on these new chips.
I used to build these things and overclock the Durons and Celerons etc. but I got tired of trying to keep them cool. I don’t want to have to do that again. Any advice is appreciated.
The Damned
Founded 1988

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
Re: Heat issue?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2024, 10:46:27 PM »
What I7 ya got?  I think at 85C you're good, but I'd take a look anyway.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000094759/processors.html
« Last Edit: February 16, 2024, 10:49:14 PM by Tumor »
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2024, 11:33:48 PM »
64GB of ram? WoW!

It looks like you're still at least 15 degrees from it throttling.

I would make sure the fan/heatsink is secure on the computer. Many times I have received stuff that had come lose in shipping.

I'd also spray it with some compressed air to get the dust out. If that doesn't work you may need to get some cpu paste stuff and redo it.

Offline xanax

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2024, 12:01:04 AM »
Thanks, Hazmatt, I shoulda shot you line. It's a 13th gen 13700F. Went with 64gig as I'd already gotten down to the lint and old movie ticket stubs in my wallet anyways.

Yeah, I'll crack it open and look at the CPU sink and fan just in case. I figure if it throttles at 100 I'm probably still running AH fine but might as well play it safe. I forgot about this heat issue stuff and Intel.
The Damned
Founded 1988

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2024, 01:25:39 AM »
Although 85°C is still below throttling, it's on the high side. And it's not even summer yet, just think what will happen when your room temperature is 30...

Good advice above, worth checking. However, if you're using the Intel stock cooler it's worth investing a few tenners to a tower model. Noctua has earned the reputation of being the king of air coolers but almost anything with three-four pairs of heat pipes and a 10x10 cm grille will outperform the Intel one with much less noise. There's reviews for best coolers of 2024 and the winner may not even be the most expensive one. Find one that's easy to install, that said it's a once in the lifetime of the PC task so don't put too much weight on that.

The current AH3 is GPU intensive unlike the two previous versions. And your 3060 is an easy task to feed, an i7 is overkill for it. You may even want to underclock the CPU for less energy consumption and heat production withoutn noticing any difference.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2024, 02:33:18 AM »
Good cooling system is essential. I have this one cooling my CPU.

After some tests ended up with this kind of airflow:

This is not my pc, I have only one GPU and CPU cooler, but the airflow is the same. I do not have bottom intake fan as it ate all the cat hair from the house and left upper exhaust vent is also free flow. Works well, keeps the system in normal temperatures even during the summer heat.
The Mad   CatMan!

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2024, 07:43:10 AM »
I do not have bottom intake fan as it ate all the cat hair from the house and left upper exhaust vent is also free flow. Works well, keeps the system in normal temperatures even during the summer heat.
In offices PC stands on wheels used to be quite popular. Back in the day I was a salesman for office equipment and on one occasion sold one for a techie for testing purposes. Within a couple of months he ordered those for the entire office as the birth rate of dust bunnies had dramatically dropped inside the case.

The old mobile stands won't work that well with modern computers as the air intake for the PSU faces downwards. But there's modern versions like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Desktop-Computer-Rolling-Adjustable-Locking-Black/dp/B0C147PX4Z/

Or if you have four casters rolling around and a piece of board, making a PC trolley is child's play, including cutting a hole for the air intake.
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2024, 10:53:59 AM »
Normally my cpu runs cooler than my gpu in AH.

My cooling flow is setup like the one GasTeddy posted.

I did have to re-paste my gpu a while back, as I noticed the temps were getting high while playing AH. Now they stay at reasonable levels.

I run hwmonitor in the background while playing so I can see at a glance if there are any issues with the system.

:salute
Sik
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2024, 11:26:56 AM »
In offices PC stands on wheels used to be quite popular. Back in the day I was a salesman for office equipment and on one occasion sold one for a techie for testing purposes. Within a couple of months he ordered those for the entire office as the birth rate of dust bunnies had dramatically dropped inside the case.

The old mobile stands won't work that well with modern computers as the air intake for the PSU faces downwards. But there's modern versions like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Desktop-Computer-Rolling-Adjustable-Locking-Black/dp/B0C147PX4Z/

Or if you have four casters rolling around and a piece of board, making a PC trolley is child's play, including cutting a hole for the air intake.

I never keep my pc on a floor or any flat surface, where air from down is blocked. Wooden decoration crate works well, air circulation free from every direction:

The Mad   CatMan!

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2024, 01:42:51 PM »
I never keep my pc on a floor or any flat surface, where air from down is blocked. Wooden decoration crate works well, air circulation free from every direction:
Yepp, your origin shows! We don't use knee deep carpet everywhere.

Kotisivuni

Offline xanax

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2024, 02:07:50 PM »
Thanks for all the advice, fellas. I did move it off the carpet and did similar to Gas-Teddy and it lowered temps pretty well. I'd still like a fan to pull cool in from the bottom and pull hot from the top. Currently, Theres a fan in back, one up front and the power supply fan. My vid card, a 3070 as it turns out, runs a bit warm too.
There's software that came with the machine that can control fan RPM. The gaming mode just cranks all the fans to max and everything runs nice and cool it seems. Do people use such settings? It seems awfully loud but maybe that's the price I'll pay to play. Luckily, I use headphones for play.
I also looked at a Noctua NH-U9S CPU fan as that looks the goto for folks that bought the same rig. I'll study up on this further as I'd prefer not to have so much noise.
I should have built from scratch.....
The Damned
Founded 1988

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2024, 03:17:26 PM »
I have fan in low front and top pushing air in. Top one is directly over RAM. Then, CPU fan pushes air to back, where fan at back wall sucks it out. Free flow in from bottom, PSU sucks also air from there and pushes it out from back. Free flow out top rear. Vents at transparent side panel let GPU cooling fan air out. CPU temp stays during gaming between 65 and 72, GPU rarely goes over 70.

My mill is a collection of parts stolen from a museum, but runs relatively well. Tower is from year 2010, mobo and CPU 2012 etc. CPU is Intel Core i7-3770K, "slightly" overclocked, as factory specs are 3.5-3.9 GHz and I run it base speed 4.20 and turbo 5.02. For example War Thunder (my son plays it) with max graph settings keeps around 80-100 fps.
The Mad   CatMan!

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2024, 04:17:34 PM »
Thanks for all the advice, fellas. I did move it off the carpet and did similar to Gas-Teddy and it lowered temps pretty well. I'd still like a fan to pull cool in from the bottom and pull hot from the top. Currently, Theres a fan in back, one up front and the power supply fan. My vid card, a 3070 as it turns out, runs a bit warm too.
There's software that came with the machine that can control fan RPM. The gaming mode just cranks all the fans to max and everything runs nice and cool it seems. Do people use such settings? It seems awfully loud but maybe that's the price I'll pay to play. Luckily, I use headphones for play.
I also looked at a Noctua NH-U9S CPU fan as that looks the goto for folks that bought the same rig. I'll study up on this further as I'd prefer not to have so much noise.
I should have built from scratch.....

Personally I run my fans around 85% and it keeps everything cool. I crank it up until I can hear them and then turn it down a bit. Keeps the temps down and I don't hear it. When I leave it on auto it gets warmer then I'd like before it starts throttling them up.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2024, 04:19:23 PM »
64GB of ram? WoW!

It looks like you're still at least 15 degrees from it throttling.

I would make sure the fan/heatsink is secure on the computer. Many times I have received stuff that had come lose in shipping.

I'd also spray it with some compressed air to get the dust out. If that doesn't work you may need to get some cpu paste stuff and redo it.

:rofl some here have 128
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2024, 04:21:55 PM »
My mill is a collection of parts stolen from a museum, but runs relatively well. Tower is from year 2010, mobo and CPU 2012 etc. CPU is Intel Core i7-3770K, "slightly" overclocked, as factory specs are 3.5-3.9 GHz and I run it base speed 4.20 and turbo 5.02. For example War Thunder (my son plays it) with max graph settings keeps around 80-100 fps.

I ran a 4770 until upgrading to a 12100 recently. Had to buy the whole mb/cpu/mem thing as the 4770 motherboard was near it's max already.