Author Topic: Any old Air Warriors out there?????  (Read 145380 times)

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
Re: Any old Air Warriors out there?????
« Reply #1110 on: December 27, 2023, 12:13:51 PM »
If I had a a million dollars I'd give it to whoever could find the speech when the Musketeers changed countries in AWdos. Think it was written by Stiletto.

It was the Gettysburg address rewritten. I can only remember the beginning. It started off with:

"Four potatos and seven beers ago..."
The word was not potatos. Musta been a word filter. It was a word that rhymes with score that starts with wh..

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #1111 on: December 27, 2023, 12:17:46 PM »
What is the exact spelling of your Air Warrior handle, and I'll see if I can find your number.
I think it was HazMat or HazMatt or could have been Haz. (so much for exact spelling) It's been so long that it's foggy. I also signed up a second time and lost the first account. I thought the first number was something like 4512 and the second number started with a 6. Maybe the second number was 6512.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. It's so long ago that I was running an Amiga 500 when I signed up and had to upgrade to a 486/25 because the Amiga was too slow lol.

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #1112 on: December 27, 2023, 12:22:45 PM »
The word was not potatos. Musta been a word filter. It was a word that rhymes with score that starts with wh..

Sorry but potatoes is way better than who…  :rofl
« Last Edit: December 27, 2023, 12:43:22 PM by Dadtallica »
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #1113 on: December 27, 2023, 12:24:54 PM »
I was quoting a speech!

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #1114 on: December 27, 2023, 12:43:59 PM »
lol I’m choosing to remember it as potatoes! :rofl
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1115 on: December 27, 2023, 03:59:21 PM »
lol I’m choosing to remember it as potatoes! :rofl

He likes to slather on the butter when the potatoes are around.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline xanax

• Copper Member
« Reply #1116 on: December 27, 2023, 04:48:09 PM »
What is the exact spelling of your Air Warrior handle, and I'll see if I can find your number.

I've been rifling through those score sheets on DoK's site looking for the CPID me and Troy (was his name Troy?) used. It had to be the spring of 93 and it was my 2nd junior year of college. I even called guys (well, 2 guys) I still know from that dorm to see if they remember anything about that. My old RA is going to look through his papers in storage to see if he has any old floor rosters etc. His handle had something to do with cowboys or the west.....horses maybe.....it's killing me! I see DoK has me listed as =409= but I don't think we used that handle. I may have when I got an account later at Delphi or something.
I guess it doesn't really matter but it's like dropping a pistachio nut in the garage. I gotta find it, dust it off so I can eat it. It's imperative.
The Damned
Founded 1988

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #1117 on: December 27, 2023, 06:28:19 PM »
I think it was HazMat or HazMatt or could have been Haz. (so much for exact spelling) It's been so long that it's foggy. I also signed up a second time and lost the first account. I thought the first number was something like 4512 and the second number started with a 6. Maybe the second number was 6512.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. It's so long ago that I was running an Amiga 500 when I signed up and had to upgrade to a 486/25 because the Amiga was too slow lol.

483       37    B     6757 HazMatt                  M.VARNER

Offline PH-1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #1118 on: March 09, 2024, 08:10:26 PM »
I miss Air Warrior, still. So many good times :) Amazing to 'see' some of you still around and glad of it. Hope you all have a Merry Christmas and a Killer New Year. Lately been sucked into Cities: Skylines 2, delved deep into Baldur's Gate 3. Graphics have come a long long way. Still waitin on a decent Holodeck!

-GE

It's great seeing the namesakes of the airfields in multiplayer. Starting out as a preteen, I never knew where they had come up with the various names - Fencer, Monk, Holmes, etc. I was chatting with one of my colleagues just this past week about my "gamer" days back in the '90s and how it's all changed thanks to Twitch, Discord, etc. I think that's what the joy of AW was back before all of that became in vogue. I just can't believe it's already been 20+ years since AW came to an end. Doesn't feel like it was that long ago.

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #1119 on: March 09, 2024, 08:36:13 PM »
It's great seeing the namesakes of the airfields in multiplayer. Starting out as a preteen, I never knew where they had come up with the various names - Fencer, Monk, Holmes, etc. I was chatting with one of my colleagues just this past week about my "gamer" days back in the '90s and how it's all changed thanks to Twitch, Discord, etc. I think that's what the joy of AW was back before all of that became in vogue. I just can't believe it's already been 20+ years since AW came to an end. Doesn't feel like it was that long ago.

Jump back in :)
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP

Offline PH-1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #1120 on: March 10, 2024, 01:16:45 PM »
There are occasion times I think about it. But it's almost as if it occurred at the exact right time: the internet was just becoming a mainstream fad, the novelty of multiplayer gaming, and the enormous amount of free time I had as a pre-teen/teen. I left AH after about nine months once I enrolled in college and my free time got completely used up...that was twenty years ago and the amount of free time is just as limited, go figure - the joys of adulthood.

It does make me understand more the frustrations so many of the older pilots had once AW migrated off of AOL (whose $1.99/hour really kept the number of kids from playing for extended periods of time) to the flat rate offered by Gamestorm. We lost a lot of AOL AW vets after the switch because of the descent into immaturity. Some of that continued when we came over the AH.

But maybe one of these days I might just have to bite the bullet and rebuild my mancave with all the appropriate equipment to get back in the cockpit.

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #1121 on: March 10, 2024, 02:13:41 PM »
There are occasion times I think about it. But it's almost as if it occurred at the exact right time: the internet was just becoming a mainstream fad, the novelty of multiplayer gaming, and the enormous amount of free time I had as a pre-teen/teen. I left AH after about nine months once I enrolled in college and my free time got completely used up...that was twenty years ago and the amount of free time is just as limited, go figure - the joys of adulthood.

It does make me understand more the frustrations so many of the older pilots had once AW migrated off of AOL (whose $1.99/hour really kept the number of kids from playing for extended periods of time) to the flat rate offered by Gamestorm. We lost a lot of AOL AW vets after the switch because of the descent into immaturity. Some of that continued when we came over the AH.

But maybe one of these days I might just have to bite the bullet and rebuild my mancave with all the appropriate equipment to get back in the cockpit.

I totally get what you're sayin, and not sayin. I didn't interact with AH tribe very much after the migration. Totally refused to once they attacked BB on a post he made on the last night of AW. It was very snot nosed and mouthy. They had NO CLUE who they were bashing. They would not even have this had he not done his work in AW. AW would have just been "a game", Ah might not even have come to exist had it not been so successful. They thought they were some combat sims masters crowd. And we'd look at them with 12+ yrs experience and giggle. That shock of reality butt-hurt their egos, and yap yap they went. They didn't care for us tripling their base. NOT very welcoming folks.

I cut my teeth with the older mature pilots. Always was a great idea to learn from a "Full Realism" pilots, they were flying at a different level.

I still tell the story of the beta test night we had 10,000 planes in one arena at once. I think we were testing the new servers. We crashed em, but 10k in an arena,.. was a "WOW!". It still is to this day.

Ya I had a lot of time in those days, at 28 yrs old. I'd play 6-12 hrs per day,...I was so tuned in multi-killing was a subconscious act.

Took a 14 yr break. Life will have it's way with you as it pleases. Came back 1 yr ago. I don't play enough, like the old days, to be that tuned in, but I fly 2-3 hrs several days a week and have a blast. I still make them dance for their kills, lol.

It doesn't take much to get back going, except muscle memory. A decent stick and a decent computer will drive it very easily. Ya don't need a monster PC to run it well.
You'd know quite a few names still here.

$15 per month, the price of a Burger King kids meal these days. Wouldn't be a horrible idea to have a decent setup for when you do have time.

ALWAYS good to here from an old skewl AWer. This thread has brought back many flash backs for me.... it was created 20yrs ago. We've lost so many class acts since then.

If ya saddle back up, look me up,... I'll tag along with ya.

Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP