Author Topic: Why not go Free to play?  (Read 4718 times)

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Re: Why not go Free to play?
« Reply #120 on: April 06, 2024, 09:05:09 AM »
Most people know squat about Air Combat Maneuvering. My brother flew choppers for the Army including the Cobra and Apache. Then Jets for the airlines until he recently retired. He knew squat about ACM. Helicopters don't dogfight in real life and the airlines discourage it. Record your fights. Make detailed analytical videos.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #121 on: April 06, 2024, 09:53:52 AM »
You guys still playing oughta make some how to videos. Maybe there already is an Aces High youtube channel with videos on mapping controls, flying the aircraft, tips on engaging, etc...? Instructional for the brand new to flight sims and Aces High in particular.

There are videos out there.

VuduVince has "Is AH worth it?" An honest take on the game.

AH also has "Training videos"

Searching "Aces High Video game" brings up a bunch of videos. Maybe Iron Maiden having a song of the same name hurts the search which is too bad for Aces High.

I think if Aces High were to relaunch on Steam add a bunch of these videos, along with some VR videos and maybe add a new manager ( some volunteer just to have a new name and erase any bad memories)to add the "Under NEW Management" tag it would get a lot of action. Add in a free plane set and we might get back to good numbers again.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2024, 09:55:27 AM by The Fugitive »

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #122 on: April 06, 2024, 10:10:26 AM »
Not many views on those. Add a few tags to those videos, More realistic than War Thunder. Bigger furballs than DCS World. The hits will be on War Thunder and DCS.

Don't see a video on setting up HOTAS controls. Need one with step by step hand holding instructions. 

Tags. I've made videos haphazardly and usually to help someone specifically. They are very unprofessional. I have only 85 subscribers yet have over 10k views on this video. It's simply the tags/name of the video that comes up in searches. Much as I'd like to believe otherwise. ;)

« Last Edit: April 06, 2024, 10:16:38 AM by AKIron »

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #123 on: April 06, 2024, 10:21:57 AM »
I'll make a video on setting up the HOTAS controls for Aces High and tag it as I mentioned. We'll see how many views it gets.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #124 on: April 06, 2024, 10:42:31 AM »
Going through the setup I see there are already tutorial videos tied in. Maybe getting these some widespread attention on youtube will be a draw.

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #125 on: April 06, 2024, 10:52:59 AM »
I have also been preaching about presence in the Training Arena. No one is going to go into an empty arena. I don’t mind sitting in there for a little bit when I first log in or when the MA is dull. Need a couple of other likeminded folks willing to help out. This game has a big learning curve, and it can be intimidating for those that have never played a flight sim before. There’s no real instant gratification, which is what most gamers now expect.
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #126 on: April 06, 2024, 11:00:25 AM »
Just a test to see how adding a few key words in the description draws views.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #127 on: April 06, 2024, 11:19:08 AM »
Most people want to belong to a team. They get more satisfaction in being appreciated as a valuable team member than in beating down an opposing player. Of course there are exceptions which is why there can be vitriol on public channels. The always online environment where players can come and go as their own schedules permit and still find friends is Aces High biggest asset imo. Introducing new people to this aspect quickly is its greatest challenge.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #128 on: April 06, 2024, 11:33:43 AM »
Automatic squad assignment availability on a noobs first venture online might work if there are people willing to take these noobs under their wing.

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #129 on: April 06, 2024, 01:43:34 PM »

So, to Mac?  LoL.  Linux?  I don't know that world.  Is there a gamer culture on Linux?  With numbers?

Console?  Big money there but the current graphics would be insufficient I would think.  Console players really expect AAA graphics.

As a longtime Linux user I think that if you average the total number of Linux users and of that number the total number that would be interested in AH3 that it wouldn't be a lot. Also from what I've seen many of the Linux users are in countries that could not afford a $15 a month subscription. Maybe SteamOS?

I don't recall the console thing being brought up. I know there is a Steam deck but I don't know if it would run AH3. This is an interesting idea.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #130 on: April 06, 2024, 02:46:25 PM »
Ya but a bunch of those "females" today could have man parts...

what you taking about.  all women have man's parts. just ask man that wants to get laid.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #131 on: April 06, 2024, 04:54:33 PM »
Is there a mechanism in game to request and assign squad membership? I believe that could be both a marketing and selling point. Let squads sign up for this and list their attributes. Let newcomers select a squad based on that. If it's not in place it would of coarse require a bit of coading.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #132 on: April 06, 2024, 05:00:24 PM »
We all need friends. Many look for them in online games. This, more than anything, is what keeps customers.

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #133 on: April 06, 2024, 10:51:11 PM »
Not many views on those. Add a few tags to those videos, More realistic than War Thunder. Bigger furballs than DCS World. The hits will be on War Thunder and DCS.

Don't see a video on setting up HOTAS controls. Need one with step by step hand holding instructions. 

Tags. I've made videos haphazardly and usually to help someone specifically. They are very unprofessional. I have only 85 subscribers yet have over 10k views on this video. It's simply the tags/name of the video that comes up in searches. Much as I'd like to believe otherwise. ;)

Wow. I noticed how close that one final checker was to that engine in afterburner in the video. I don't think it would be possible to breath that close. Those Tomcat afterburners put out an incredible amount of heat! I for one wouldn't want to be that close to one in afterburner.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2024, 10:54:36 PM by hazmatt »

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #134 on: April 06, 2024, 11:14:20 PM »
Wow. I noticed how close that one final checker was to that engine in afterburner in the video. I don't think it would be possible to breath that close. Those Tomcat afterburners put out an incredible amount of heat! I for one wouldn't want to be that close to one in afterburner.

No problem.  Just wear sunscreen.
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.