Author Topic: Prebuilt PCs  (Read 4657 times)

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
Re: Prebuilt PCs
« Reply #105 on: June 04, 2024, 03:05:51 AM »

I was using a phone for a hotspot for many years.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #106 on: June 04, 2024, 09:00:13 PM »
Daughter up in north Idaho near Lake Pend Oreille was paying big dollars for Hughes wireless which really sucked. Elon Musk to the rescue and now they have a great connection with Starlink.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #107 on: June 04, 2024, 11:45:50 PM »
I was using a phone for a hotspot for many years.

That actually can hold up pretty well.  Too bad it's so limited that you really can only limit yourself to a single game, and one that doesn't eat up the BW at that.  Games that have constant updates are a definite no go.
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #108 on: June 05, 2024, 03:03:22 PM »
Daughter up in north Idaho near Lake Pend Oreille was paying big dollars for Hughes wireless which really sucked. Elon Musk to the rescue and now they have a great connection with Starlink.

I got Starlink a year before I was in the "Service Area" (according to their map).  Had to agree to having a spotty connection.  And, it was great.  I could game consistently (a little over an hour) and speeds were awesome.  I've been stuck on ADSL for a decade, which isn't terribly bad, but becoming so with the size of games and such (like an MSFS or DCS update) requiring an overnight DL.  So, I knew I had an obstruction to the NNE, a massive  old Oak (9ft around) that blocked just a small portion in that direction.  Since I was having some logging done already, I had it taken down.  Wouldn't you know, in that same time frame they threw up a bunch more satellites AND deprecated the PC (Router) based interface AND I found I was IN the service area.... that's when my conx went to toejam.  The antenna is now looking a LOT more to the West, and what's there?  Yet another (bigger) old Oak that blocks a full 1/3rd of the required area.   Hard Disco every 15min.  To add a little icing, the Butt-cut of White Oak is "too big" for the Stave company to pick up.  Oh they'll buy it, but ~I~ have to figure out how to haul it 150mi.  I'm cursed I tell ya.  Cursed.    :mad: :mad: :mad:

Starlink is 100% awesome.  It's even good if you have obstructions.  BUT, you ain't gaming with it unless the antenna has a very clear view.
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #109 on: June 06, 2024, 09:17:38 AM »
I will be honest, I am totally surprised you can do online gaming with starlink. I had Hughesnet for several years while traveling the country. It was OK for browsing the net and e-mail but that was all. Went to tethering my phone to the PC once it got to 4G everywhere.

Really unhappy with windstream internet but that is all that's available in my location and I need it because I'm also in a cell dead zone and the verizon cell booster requires an internet connection.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #110 on: June 06, 2024, 09:37:54 AM »
I can't see how starlink doesn't have a lag to it ...

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #111 on: June 06, 2024, 10:18:43 AM »
I will be honest, I am totally surprised you can do online gaming with starlink. I had Hughesnet for several years while traveling the country. It was OK for browsing the net and e-mail but that was all. Went to tethering my phone to the PC once it got to 4G everywhere.

Really unhappy with windstream internet but that is all that's available in my location and I need it because I'm also in a cell dead zone and the verizon cell booster requires an internet connection.

Never had Windstream or Hughes (or whatever), but I did use it some via work.  Starlink is a whole other universe.  Granted, I've never had fully unobstructed reception, but it ~was~ very good before they upgraded... once they upgraded, I got a new obstruction that was WAY worse than what I had before.  It's nuts, but even now the conx is very good in between the 15min (appx) disco.  Even then, I barely notice it unless I'm gaming.  Youboob vids will occasionally hiccup but it's barely noticable... like a 5sec pause.  DL's are fine, when it discos it auto-resets anyway.

Here's a comparison (Ping to HTC)

ADSL: Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 67ms, Maximum = 104ms, Average = 83ms

Starlink: Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 77ms, Maximum = 99ms, Average = 88ms
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #112 on: June 06, 2024, 10:53:15 AM »
I can't see how starlink doesn't have a lag to it ...

Eagler

Those are LEO (Low Earth Orbit) satellites. A lot of satellites. My grandson plays First Person Shooters over that connection and is happy.

Scroll down to "How Starlink Works"

https://www.starlink.com/us/technology
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #113 on: June 07, 2024, 03:29:16 AM »
I keep hearing good things about Starlink.  I'll need to speak to a few folks I know who's net is.....let's just say "less than stellar", but are stuck with the crap they got now.  Might be something they could get into.
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #114 on: June 07, 2024, 05:51:58 AM »
I keep hearing good things about Starlink.  I'll need to speak to a few folks I know who's net is.....let's just say "less than stellar", but are stuck with the crap they got now.  Might be something they could get into.

My 85 year old father in law loves his ..but he doesn't game...his AOL has never been better..

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals