Author Topic: For those who like pretty buttons and knobs  (Read 310 times)

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Animl - YouTube
For those who like pretty buttons and knobs
« on: May 17, 2024, 10:13:15 PM »
If you can learn this before I die, I'll be impressed.

Midas Heritage 3000 48 channel, 17 monitor mixes

Late 1990s price, $70k (the price of a 90s home)
1,248 knobs, buttons and faders.
680 lbs, 6 people to lift

« Last Edit: May 17, 2024, 10:58:44 PM by Animl-AW »
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Animl - YouTube
Re: For those who like pretty buttons and knobs
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2024, 10:17:19 PM »
Now if ya get past that, imagine two with 96 channels, 34 monitor mixes.

(Keith Urban show)

2,496 buttons, knobs, and faders. 800 freq filters in the rack you don't see.

Not in the pic, taking it, it's part of my crew help setting it up

I don't need anymore stinking colorful buttons, knobs, and faders.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2024, 11:00:21 PM by Animl-AW »
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2024, 10:20:05 PM »
When ya get tired of that ya do this

:)
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2024, 11:17:16 PM »
If you can learn this before I die, I'll be impressed.

Midas Heritage 3000 48 channel, 17 monitor mixes
(Image removed from quote.)

Late 1990s price, $70k (the price of a 90s home)
1,248 knobs, buttons and faders.
680 lbs, 6 people to lift

That's a whole bunch of NOPE for me.  I just had my sound guy (and band mate) my chords and say "this is my mic. this is my guitar."  :rofl :rofl

We had a fit trying to find a smaller board with 5 individual monitor channels because we all bought IEMs.  most everything we found had way too many channels and were way too expensive.  We finally found one though.  I can't remember what model.
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2024, 02:31:40 AM »
When ya get tired of that ya do this

:)

Every POS Deer in the county knows I have one.  I'm certain they are actually Aliens and those "antlers" are actually comms antenna for use when they to try to kill me every time I hit the road.  It's part of the reason I have no guilt whatsoever in violently reducing their numbers and filling my freezers with them every year. 
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2024, 04:48:51 AM »
That's a whole bunch of NOPE for me.  I just had my sound guy (and band mate) my chords and say "this is my mic. this is my guitar."  :rofl :rofl

We had a fit trying to find a smaller board with 5 individual monitor channels because we all bought IEMs.  most everything we found had way too many channels and were way too expensive.  We finally found one though.  I can't remember what model.

Ya do ‘t need much for a good pair of IEMs. Great for you, boring for someone like me. Do you use audience mics so you’re still able to hear them?

I’m known as a very high volume guy. Volume - adrenaline.  I’m going to thump that stage.

When I worked Moody Blues every instrument went direct in the system, no amps, they all had IEMs too. The only thing heard on stage was drums. Kinda sat back with no adrenaline flow thinking, wow, if this is the way things are going I’m out, bored to tears. Good band, but boring for a guy like me. A trained monkey can mix IEMs. No feedback to worry about. Took the hardest job in a production and made it turn-key easy.

I won’t go put with IEMs. Kinda phased people like me, who wants his wedges, drum-fill and side-fills, and volume. If the band still wants wedges I’m in. But these days I don’t do that stuff much anymore, just not interested.

For the band, IEMs are the best thing since napkins. Ya don’t need a extra sound guy as much. You can run those with a 14 ch Mackie.. you can fit that system in a suit case. Mine takes up 2-4 tons in a truck. IEMs save shipping money too.
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2024, 05:16:37 AM »
Every POS Deer in the county knows I have one.  I'm certain they are actually Aliens and those "antlers" are actually comms antenna for use when they to try to kill me every time I hit the road.  It's part of the reason I have no guilt whatsoever in violently reducing their numbers and filling my freezers with them every year.

Aw hell,.. got hit in the head by a black bird in the forehead, that I got hit by a brick. In deer country I go mid day when they are bedded down. Loud pipes are good.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2024, 05:27:59 AM by Animl-AW »
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2024, 01:26:33 PM »
Ya do ‘t need much for a good pair of IEMs. Great for you, boring for someone like me. Do you use audience mics so you’re still able to hear them?

Yeah we still use wedges and mics.  All we've done is drastically reduced our stage volume and gotten a better quality sound.  Of course, before IEMs, the only thing mic'ed were vocals.  Some of these dives bars and restaurants didn't like our noise level  :D.  It also wound up being much less work and setup time. 
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2024, 03:41:12 PM »
Yeah we still use wedges and mics.  All we've done is drastically reduced our stage volume and gotten a better quality sound.  Of course, before IEMs, the only thing mic'ed were vocals.  Some of these dives bars and restaurants didn't like our noise level  :D.  It also wound up being much less work and setup time.

A lot of bands, even the big boy metal bands have no concept that the more the stage is balanced and lower volume, with in reason, the sound guys can do much more. A lit depends on drum volume. Instead of mixing around it. Good smart move, especially in low volume venues. In the 80s I used to put a small concert system, 24’ truck filled to the brim, in large bars. No way anyone will do that in the 2000s.  I pyro with flame throwers in large bars. They hired some bands just because of the kiss style pyro. Today, you rightfully go to jail. Things were bat sht crazy in the 80s.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2024, 03:43:38 PM by Animl-AW »
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2024, 07:31:36 PM »
Bringing back memories of the days our band headlined for Robin Trower, Tesla, Great White (Terry Ilouis), Faster P***ycat (yeah, the filter tried to shut me up on that one  :rolleyes:), Pop Evil, and several others 10-15 years ago. I got out of the music scene altogether, still have most of my keyboard gear, but no desire to go back.

Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2024, 08:18:47 PM »
Bringing back memories of the days our band headlined for Robin Trower, Tesla, Great White (Terry Ilouis), Faster P***ycat (yeah, the filter tried to shut me up on that one  :rolleyes:), Pop Evil, and several others 10-15 years ago. I got out of the music scene altogether, still have most of my keyboard gear, but no desire to go back.

Kewl!

I have a lot of pics on my fb page.

I mixed monitors for Trower in 82, Tesla in 2001.. i started fading myself out of mixing monitors in 2010ish. Went through too much crap, biz changed with IEMs and digital mixing consoles started to become popular. The new grunge bands were a flat line mix, zero dynamics, everything the same level.. IATSE told me they’d choke me with money if I didn’t mix concerts and mix corporate. So I dumped the glory and went after the money. Boring as sin. 15 yrs of that and I don’t care who it is, I want no more.  Retiring after 45 yrs, 4k concerts with legends, and not looking back. None of it means a damn thing to me now. Great resume, had a blast on stage with the big boys. Enough is enough. My ears are blown, tinnitus, tired of plastic people. Happy just having cocktails with locals (more normal people), do something different like inner sim stuff, maybe open a seafood restaurant. Who knows, anything but that stuff.

I like the jig-saw puzzle of making vids with AH films, even if I suck.
Would like to get into sim FX.

Maybe I’m a slow learner, but I’m mentally done with that stuff, let the young guys have fun and run with it.

I’m so burned out, I don’t even own a stereo.
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2024, 08:50:06 PM »
I’m so burned out, I don’t even own a stereo.

...um...please to say...what is a stereo...?

- oldman

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2024, 07:55:59 AM »

Ya know, I didn’t notice your back drop first round, I think I’ve heard of you guys. There are music celebrities that played AW and first yrs of AH. Not sure about today.

I flew sometimes with Jerry Eubanks, flute player for Marshall Tucker Band, in AW, not sure if he made the migration to AH. Pretty sure he did. I worked with them a lot back in the day. Good friends. Doug Gray is still at it with the band I think.

There was a few others I can’t remember at this time.

The 1-2 hrs on stage is killer, the rest of the biz is an ars kicker.

I do think I remember hearing of you guys. We prolly have good stories to share, and some bad, but funny now.

The part of the biz people don’t see is a beast.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2024, 08:05:43 AM by Animl-AW »
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2024, 08:02:00 AM »

...um...please to say...what is a stereo...?

- oldman

Those things with 2 speakers and a volume knob. None of which will match the way I heard it. Once in a while I’ll dust my ears off, but now days volume is something I avoid, so no use for it.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2024, 08:09:31 AM by Animl-AW »
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2024, 09:07:02 AM »
I'm not very fond of doing this, but I opened up a few FB photos if you're interested. I won't leave them public for very long.

Not many people had cams decades ago, so very few pics. Plus some celebs didn't care for me doing it. They barely scratch the surface
https://www.facebook.com/jon.cearing/photos_albums
« Last Edit: May 20, 2024, 09:46:32 AM by Animl-AW »
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks