Author Topic: Connection Lost  (Read 3039 times)

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Re: Connection Lost
« Reply #105 on: August 08, 2024, 09:00:04 AM »
You can't discuss any current events without someone eventually turning it political. There's a good reason for that of course. Politics are intertwined in current events.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #106 on: August 08, 2024, 09:01:56 AM »
According to that website. 134000 lost power as the storm blew through in FL. Today about 7500 without power. Or about 5.5% still in the dark.

In Houston, 2.3 million lost power and 5 days later there were still 800k without power. Or about  34% still in the dark.
"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke
P-47 pilot 56th Fighter Group.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #107 on: August 08, 2024, 09:05:11 AM »
Obviously there's a big difference between servicing 7 million people vs less than a million. Harris county has about 5 million but the area affected was larger.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2024, 09:07:02 AM by AKIron »

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #108 on: August 08, 2024, 09:29:46 AM »
What's going on in Ohio?

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #109 on: August 08, 2024, 09:34:21 AM »
Obviously there's a big difference between servicing 7 million people vs less than a million. Harris county has about 5 million but the area affected was larger.
Obviously. However, one is six times more effective than the other at recovery. As far as actual square miles, I’d wager the storms covered similar distances. Also, Houston is a major metro area presumably with better infrastructure and massively more resources at its disposal.
"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke
P-47 pilot 56th Fighter Group.

Offline xanax

• Copper Member
« Reply #110 on: August 08, 2024, 09:45:31 AM »
What's going on in Ohio?

My guess is the Cuyahoga River caught fire again.
The Damned
Founded 1988

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #111 on: August 08, 2024, 09:46:31 AM »
North Carolina is suffering too but probably due to the recent hurricane.

I was looking at Cape Coral a few years ago when we were thinking of moving. Good prices then, they've gone up a lot. I noticed many of the homes there have swimming pools encased in glass. My brief first thought was why? Then, oh yeah.  ;)

Offline LNG15

• Nickel Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #112 on: August 08, 2024, 11:35:30 AM »
What's going on in Ohio?

Tornado hit Northern Ohio.
Be Prepared To "Get Lanced!"

Offline maxy

• Copper Member
« Reply #113 on: August 09, 2024, 10:36:20 PM »
North Carolina is suffering too but probably due to the recent hurricane.

I was looking at Cape Coral a few years ago when we were thinking of moving. Good prices then, they've gone up a lot. I noticed many of the homes there have swimming pools encased in glass. My brief first thought was why? Then, oh yeah.  ;)

Its not glass, it is a screened in aluminum cage surrounding the back porch pool area to keep the mosquitos and critters out, that area of the house is referred to as the screened in lanai, 99.7 percent of the homes here have it, huge business for the people who install it.
trust me there is zero glass surrounds, hurricane code requires impact glass for such a design, it would cost more than the house and land just for the material.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #114 on: August 10, 2024, 07:36:09 AM »
I figured it was to keep out the alligators.