Author Topic: ENY - Auto-Logout  (Read 552 times)

Offline KrisKros

• Zinc Member
ENY - Auto-Logout
« on: September 13, 2024, 02:49:22 PM »
ENY is killing us. I see 30 knights online, but only 10-15 actual in flight.

How about an auto-logout feature to prevent ENY caused by tower-sitters?

Offline Mayhem

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.damned.org
Re: ENY - Auto-Logout
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2024, 04:33:45 PM »
Welcome to the club most people have been griping about Eny Since well mid 2000s.
I think it's caused me to cancel my subscription a few times.
"Destination anywhere! So Far Gone, I'm almost There."
The Damned! (Est. 1988) Damned if we do - No fun if we don't!
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2024, 04:50:34 PM »
Why worry about ENY?     

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2024, 05:43:19 AM »
ENY is killing us. I see 30 knights online, but only 10-15 actual in flight.

How about an auto-logout feature to prevent ENY caused by tower-sitters?

Or take them out of the eny calculation.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline mERv

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2024, 06:59:41 AM »

HTC has specifically said the current eny system works as intended. Other ideas will be considered but he isnt fixing something that he doesnt think is broke.

Instead, HTC want people to switch sides to balance eny...
"Its no problem to be the best, but to be so much better than the best is going to bring accusations."Haggarty
"Ever wonder why its always b-17s and B-24s? It allows him an extreme advantage over other players hence his bomber kill count, that and his lazer beam guns"Diaster
"Take your meds" ShadowX

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2024, 07:37:14 AM »
HTC has specifically said the current eny system works as intended. Other ideas will be considered but he isnt fixing something that he doesnt think is broke.

ENY is calculating people in the tower afk for 5 hours the same as it is someone in flight.

IE, it's broken.

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2024, 08:49:58 AM »
ENY is calculating people in the tower afk for 5 hours the same as it is someone in flight.

IE, it's broken.

I do think it would help if it only calculated those In Flight. I wish it was even more specific. I wish ENY was calculated by fronts. Here lately it seems that one country will risk being hordes by another so they can go horde themselves. Imagine the fights if the two hordes would fight each other. (But that’s too hard)
Tours 86 - 296

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2024, 09:21:24 AM »
Just force balance sides at login..problem solved :bolt:

Eagler

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2024, 09:24:33 AM »
I do think it would help if it only calculated those In Flight. I wish it was even more specific. I wish ENY was calculated by fronts. Here lately it seems that one country will risk being hordes by another so they can go horde themselves. Imagine the fights if the two hordes would fight each other. (But that’s too hard)

I've considered trying to get a group of like-minded folks to tune to a cross country radio ch, sort of how Monday madness works, but in the MA.  Communicating a furball between bases and fighting without 20k tempest, and 1 pass haulass tactics.

This would probably only work during primetime, and unfortunately I don't get to log many hours during this time.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2024, 09:38:03 AM »

You cant. An easy get around, is sit in the tower before a mission. Picture a "Sic Puppies mission" We can have a good number of players join when Reaper calls a mission right. say there is 30 players from each team in the air...... no ENY. Then the mission launches with 20 players in it, ENY jumps to 15 for the Bish instantly. Want ponies in the mission, call everyone to the tower until ENY drops and there you go, ponies for everyone. See what I mean?

I agree that ENY would work better as an area/front calculation because that is where the imbalance is felt. I think it would be a nightmare to coad because the fronts move. How would you define the ENY zone? If its too small you could launch two small forces a sector or two apart and use a "pincer" type maneuver to hit a single base/area foiling the program. On the other side if the area is too large, other players not involved with the "battle" zone are going to get hit with ENY as it is now while trying to avoid the busy area.

Players hate being at a disadvantage. So hordes fight undefended fronts. I think the game is more fun fighting head to head with another force even if it isnt balanced numbers. When 5-6 players grab a base from 8-10 defenders it is so much more fun. Fighting in a 3 vs 1 long enough to survive when help finally comes, even if you dont get to shoot one of the three down is still a big win in my book. Its a game people, have fun!

It may not work as intended, but its the best that can be done and works well enough. It is intended to even the battles by limiting the "better" equipment for the side with a better numbers, which it does. This is a game..... tho some may not believe it  :devil and HTC tries to keep things on a bit of an even playing field. If there wasnt an ENY system most players would be on one team rolling the other teams, which still happens in the morning when the Bish have numbers and ENY and still seem to roll many bases. Most of those who complain about ENY do so because they cant fly their favorite plane. Well you can if you switch side..... and are stuck there for 6 hours. Or you could fly some other plane and continue to fly with your squad/teammates/countrymen and experience a different style of fighting due to the plane you have switched to. "Jack of all trades, master of none", or you could master 3-4 planes and ENY never bothers you.

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2024, 09:47:50 AM »
I've considered trying to get a group of like-minded folks to tune to a cross country radio ch, sort of how Monday madness works, but in the MA.  Communicating a furball between bases and fighting without 20k tempest, and 1 pass haulass tactics.

This would probably only work during primetime, and unfortunately I don't get to log many hours during this time.

How dare you communicate to players on a different country than you.  :noid
Tours 86 - 296

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2024, 10:59:12 AM »
ENY is just a red herring and an excuse.

It hasn't stopped any of the fluctuating hordeing from all 3 sides; some just have to deal with it for a slightly longer period of time during the day. 

It's an excuse that it prevents people from flying their preferred rides (how long has this been going on now?)

If anything, ENY could use some moderate tweaking across the entire spectrum.

The underlying issue is very few want to step out of their comfort zone. This has always been the case, it's just more noticeable now.

Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

Offline mERv

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2024, 11:13:54 AM »
ENY is just a red herring and an excuse.

It hasn't stopped any of the fluctuating hordeing from all 3 sides; some just have to deal with it for a slightly longer period of time during the day. 

It's an excuse that it prevents people from flying their preferred rides (how long has this been going on now?)

If anything, ENY could use some moderate tweaking across the entire spectrum.

The underlying issue is very few want to step out of their comfort zone. This has always been the case, it's just more noticeable now.
+20 eny is not getting out of your comfort zone. Thats an action killer nowadays.
"Its no problem to be the best, but to be so much better than the best is going to bring accusations."Haggarty
"Ever wonder why its always b-17s and B-24s? It allows him an extreme advantage over other players hence his bomber kill count, that and his lazer beam guns"Diaster
"Take your meds" ShadowX

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2024, 11:25:23 AM »
+20 eny is not getting out of your comfort zone. Thats an action killer nowadays.

No, it's you not being willing to get out of your comfort zone.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2024, 11:58:54 AM »
No, it's you not being willing to get out of your comfort zone.

So, end result is someone is always gonna have to be out of their comfort zone. Whether it's forcing them to fly a different plane or switching countries.
Tours 86 - 296