Author Topic: Basic question on VR  (Read 210 times)

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
Basic question on VR
« on: September 23, 2024, 04:03:45 PM »
In the head set are each lens showing a slightly different capture to give the illusion of 3D ?
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Basic question on VR
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2024, 04:49:53 PM »
That would be my guess. It looks really good. I wish there was some way to video it so someone not using VR could see how it looks IN VR

Offline SlipKnt

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2024, 04:57:51 PM »
From what I’ve read this is the case.  Each lens it its own monitor.  Which is why the processor matters as it is a choke point.

But the short answer is yes.  I think you can bring them closer by adjusting the IDP (I think it’s called).  The headset itself has a setting you enter that is the measurement between the user’s pupils. 

The cheap way of obtaining the IDP I used was a string and tied a knot then multiple measurements and adjusting the second knot until you have each knot in front of each pupil.  Take a few more measurements (measure twice, cut once).  It put my VR right where I needed it.  Of course anyone else that uses it won’t see VR the same way you are in your headset but
DCS:
SlipKnoT
vCSG-3, VMA-513 Flying Nightmares (AV8B)

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2024, 05:18:28 PM »
3D is achieved by rendering 2 frames from slightly horizontally view points simulating the position of each eye.

VR headsets than act as two screens which each of these frames are sent to. Note depending on the headset it can be 2 actual panels (LCD, OLED etc) or a single panel effectively split in half to act like 2 panels.

Since the original Oculus headset the addition of special lenses (Fresnel) allowed headset makes to use smaller panels which the lenses magnified. However these lenses added distortion, which had to adjusted for when rendering the picture. Fresnel lenses also give you more of a feeling of distance, old school vr headsets were just square panels that felt very up in your face.

So from you PC's point of view it is rendering a left eye and a right eye then having to apply fresnel correction. Quite a bit of overhead.

Also worth noting, if you want to get really technical. It is a simulation of 3D, not real 3D. It is rendering 2 flat images at a focal length of about 2m (I think). Which is why everything is in focus no matter the distance.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 04:59:36 AM »
From what I’ve read this is the case.  Each lens it its own monitor.  Which is why the processor matters as it is a choke point.

But the short answer is yes.  I think you can bring them closer by adjusting the IDP (I think it’s called).  The headset itself has a setting you enter that is the measurement between the user’s pupils. 

The cheap way of obtaining the IDP I used was a string and tied a knot then multiple measurements and adjusting the second knot until you have each knot in front of each pupil.  Take a few more measurements (measure twice, cut once).  It put my VR right where I needed it.  Of course anyone else that uses it won’t see VR the same way you are in your headset but
Was good to see you back in game Brother!    DCS stole you from me?  How was your VR experience in DCS?     HOPE I CAUSED EXCEEDING NECK PAIN  :kiss:   :rofl     Did you use that Neck Saver  app for VR in DCS?
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain