Author Topic: Aiming steady is a problem  (Read 595 times)

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
Re: Aiming steady is a problem
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2024, 02:01:31 PM »
Yes that would be a deliberate use of rudder,when it’s an unwanted input caused by hamfisting and or trigger pull it tends to cause the over correction issue. I tend to use very little rudder input,mostly because of the increased drag,since I use combat trim most of the time and there’s usually no cross wind it’s my preferred method.

My eyesight is poor and I like to get close to see the target,often I see D0 distance before I shoot,unless I’m trying to scare someone off a squaddies tail. I also have my convergence set in close because of this.

I’m amazed you can fly with a mouse,I’ve tried it to help noobs who may have no choice but just could never get my head wrapped around it. I used to know a guy who used a track ball to fly,when I asked why all he said was so I can sit in my lazy boy chair while flying.. :rofl
It's been 25 years. When I was a teenager I used to log an unhealthy amount of time in the MA.. that probably helped.

Can definately afford a stick and rudder setup, I'm just stubborn and set in my ways.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
Re: Aiming steady is a problem
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2024, 07:55:55 AM »
I used to use the “top gun fox pro” which evolved into “t flightstick x” and it’s hotas brother.   

While both are pretty good, they lack the precision closest to stick center and you end up setting a pretty large deadband to avoid drift when it’s centered that will shut off autopilot while you’re getting a snack. 

With a large deadband, your inputs are ignored until it reaches a certain value.   
So……you’re aiming and living within the dead band.  The smaller you can make deadband, the more control is available for minor aim changes.

Sticks that use hall effect sensors are more precise and the relationships of all the moving parts are built to better specifications for a more expensive.   
I just got a T16000 yeserday for 79 bucks but i’ve heard it still uses a potentiometer for the twisty but i haven’t even opened the box. 
I will probably take it apart and install a hall sensor for the twisty because most complaints with that stick are for the twisty functionality’s lack of longevity. 

https://www.newegg.com/black-thrustmaster-aa056572-joystick/p/N82E16826280085 

There is far better out there but prices rise steeply and ergonomics will vary greatly.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2024, 07:59:32 AM by icepac »