Author Topic: Aiming steady is a problem  (Read 614 times)

Offline Guano

• Zinc Member
Aiming steady is a problem
« on: September 30, 2024, 02:57:30 PM »
I have been flying a P 51 in the practice arena and am having a problem with aiming. It seems the closer I get to a drone the sight bounces all over the place. I have messed with the advanded features for the stick but can't get it to sooth out.  Or, I could just be me over correcting too much and not using the rudder.  any suggestions?

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
Re: Aiming steady is a problem
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2024, 04:26:52 PM »
yes, you are probably over correcting, especially if you are zoomed in with your view.

It could be your joystick settings, but we don't have enough info to help you, but I think at this point you are still learning your stick sensitiivity and overcorrecting.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Tech Hangar
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2024, 04:27:56 PM »
You can go to my page below. There are some stick settings there you can try.

Udually comes down to soft handling of the stick and some Dead band and Damping settings. It will vary from stick to stick, even if same model

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2024, 05:09:48 PM »
Zooming in might seem to be a good thing when shooting, but it really isnt. Each little move you make with your stick is amplified when your zoomed. That makes you correct, and correct and correct until you run into the target.

The best place to start is to open the advanced setting on each axis and in the top left click on the default box. This will set the sliders to be low on the left side and climbing on a diagonal line to the top right.

Check out Animals page to learn what the settings do. Starting at the defaul is a good starting place. Next you have to try and control your hand better. Jerking the stick around isnt going to work. Smooth is what your trying for. And then practice, lots of practice.

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2024, 06:04:53 PM »
Don't zoom in more than 30% IMO.. you will overcorrect.

Offline Guano

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2024, 10:08:49 AM »
I stopped strangling the joystick, and that helped a lot. I have convergence set at 400 yards. It just is a matter of practice practice practice.

Thanks

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2024, 10:24:04 AM »
Film your fights. Watch them back later and pause the film just as you shoot. You can then check to see how far out your target is vs your convergence setting. Adjust by either getting closer, or adjust the convergence. You can also double click the players name of the plane your shooting at and watch in slow motion and see where the tracers are passing the plane. This way you can learn if you are shooting too high/low/forward/behind your target.

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Tech Hangar
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2024, 10:46:08 AM »
In AH films, to record use alt+R on keyboard, same to stop record.

Its also helpful to use Interior, Exterior or Chase modes.

Use Z on keyboard to zoom in, which can be adjust with ‘FOV zoom’ slider..

Fugitive is good with helping with aim.

There is a learning curve to AH, don’t let it discourage you.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2024, 03:22:31 PM »
If you're like the rest of us shoot sooner as your shots are behind the target

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2024, 04:55:28 PM »
I usually drink frozen margaritas. The first one with a shot on top. After the first one, aim? I don't need no stinkin' aim.

Main thing to remember, have fun. When you do that, you may find your aim improves as you begin to relax more. Often your aim is off if you get wound up like a rubber band in a fight.
Like Fugitive said... film your fights to watch later. You often see little things you miss in a fight.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2024, 10:03:11 AM »
If you use a twist rudder stick try adding some deadpan to the rudder axis. This will help with unwanted inputs. When you squeeze the trigger you can cause a little rudder input which will slew the planes nose,then you correct and this can lead to over correction.

You can fly with external view,move close to the tail and watch the effect.

If you use rudder pedals don’t wear shoes so you can better feel the pedals,you’re less likely to suffer from the nose swaying back and forth/ left and right.

You might have some up and down nose movement,this is addressed with the pitch axis,again add some deadpan to reduce the input near the center of the stick. There’s no perfect setting as all sticks are slightly different and all players handle them differently. Try to be gentle with your grip,most players are hamfisted when they start and have to learn to relax.

Keep asking questions as there’s a wealth of knowledge here and many players willing to help. Just don’t ask Shuffler for his margarita recipe,he’ll tell you but then he’ll have to kill ya. :devil

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2024, 10:42:02 AM »
If you use a twist rudder stick try adding some deadpan to the rudder axis. This will help with unwanted inputs. When you squeeze the trigger you can cause a little rudder input which will slew the planes nose,then you correct and this can lead to over correction.

You can fly with external view,move close to the tail and watch the effect.

If you use rudder pedals don’t wear shoes so you can better feel the pedals,you’re less likely to suffer from the nose swaying back and forth/ left and right.

You might have some up and down nose movement,this is addressed with the pitch axis,again add some deadpan to reduce the input near the center of the stick. There’s no perfect setting as all sticks are slightly different and all players handle them differently. Try to be gentle with your grip,most players are hamfisted when they start and have to learn to relax.

Keep asking questions as there’s a wealth of knowledge here and many players willing to help. Just don’t ask Shuffler for his margarita recipe,he’ll tell you but then he’ll have to kill ya. :devil

Good point.  I even use some rudder input flying with mouse and keyboard to get my sight to my aiming point.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2024, 11:02:41 AM »
Good point.  I even use some rudder input flying with mouse and keyboard to get my sight to my aiming point.

Yes that would be a deliberate use of rudder,when it’s an unwanted input caused by hamfisting and or trigger pull it tends to cause the over correction issue. I tend to use very little rudder input,mostly because of the increased drag,since I use combat trim most of the time and there’s usually no cross wind it’s my preferred method.

My eyesight is poor and I like to get close to see the target,often I see D0 distance before I shoot,unless I’m trying to scare someone off a squaddies tail. I also have my convergence set in close because of this.

I’m amazed you can fly with a mouse,I’ve tried it to help noobs who may have no choice but just could never get my head wrapped around it. I used to know a guy who used a track ball to fly,when I asked why all he said was so I can sit in my lazy boy chair while flying.. :rofl

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2024, 12:32:26 PM »
Yes that would be a deliberate use of rudder,when it’s an unwanted input caused by hamfisting and or trigger pull it tends to cause the over correction issue. I tend to use very little rudder input,mostly because of the increased drag,since I use combat trim most of the time and there’s usually no cross wind it’s my preferred method.

My eyesight is poor and I like to get close to see the target,often I see D0 distance before I shoot,unless I’m trying to scare someone off a squaddies tail. I also have my convergence set in close because of this.

I’m amazed you can fly with a mouse,I’ve tried it to help noobs who may have no choice but just could never get my head wrapped around it. I used to know a guy who used a track ball to fly,when I asked why all he said was so I can sit in my lazy boy chair while flying.. :rofl

My eyesight is getting on the bad side. I sometimes pull up next to them and shoot them with my pistol.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline MajWoody

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2024, 12:49:35 PM »
My eyesight is getting on the bad side. I sometimes pull up next to them and shoot them with my pistol.

:rofl
Lets keep the stupid to a minimum.
Old Age and Treachery, will overcome youth and skill EVERYTIME