Author Topic: looking for a video card  (Read 281 times)

Offline cp52

• Zinc Member
looking for a video card
« on: January 13, 2002, 11:23:08 AM »
I have had video card and joystick problems and finally gave up, went to Fighter Ace, hate it and want to get this game working, again.  This is my current setup:
Dell Optiplex GX1 with Pentium II- 450 mhz.
384 mb RAM. NVIDIA TNT2 PCI video card with 32 mb RAM.
Hard drive has 5 gig free out of 12 gig. Scanned, defrag'd recently.
Roadrunner cable modem connection.  Saitek x36 stick.

Am looking at upgrading video card to see if that was my problem.  Is GeForce2 MX 200 enough or what do I need?
Thanks!

Offline 2Late4U

• Copper Member
looking for a video card
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2002, 02:07:07 PM »
With only a P450, you dont need "too" much of a card in order to max out your system potential.  I'm very sceptical of the lower end (ie: MX varient) GeForce2 cards (Ive seen some real dogs on store shelves).  I'd probably go with a mid/high end Geforce2 card if you dont plan on upgrading your CPU.  

Geforce 2 GTS can be had for under $100, and would be a good all around card for your system IMHO.

Offline airspro

• Silver Member
      • My Blastoff start page :P
looking for a video card
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2002, 02:25:36 PM »
What 2Late4U said , that should be pretty good , but why the PCI card ? Do you have a APG slot ? I got two Dell's , they both pretty good pc's but I bought the highest end ones . That said have a friend that got one with onboard video etc . That not that good for gaming .

Here's the web site of the guy who built my last pc .

My pc builder

I know the feeling you can't go back to "the farm" after you've seen Parie , hehe .

gl
spro
My current Ace's High handle is spro

Offline cp52

• Zinc Member
can't find non- MX Geforce 2?
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2002, 03:39:33 PM »
Thanks for answers!!
Looked on the Web and can't find a Geforce 2 (and I do have to have a pci card, btw) thats not MX.  Any ideas?

Offline Octavius

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
gf3 ti200 + athlon 1.x gig processor...
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2002, 03:55:35 PM »
thats all ya need.   AMD Athlons are running quite cheap.  Go the extra mile and buy a gf3, you'll be very pleased.
octavius
Fat Drunk BasTards (forum)

"bastard coated bastards with bastard filling?  delicious!"
Guest of the ++Blue Knights++[/size]

Offline cp52

• Zinc Member
I'm back online now!
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2002, 06:50:24 AM »
Thanks to everyone for your help & suggestions!!
I replaced my video card with a GeForce 2 MX (best I could find for PCI and a relative bargain), reinstalled DirectX 8, joystick & software, calibrated the joystick in AH and everything worked!  (For 1 night anyway, knock on wood.)
Thanks again!!