Author Topic: 'delivering' troops  (Read 561 times)

Offline jaus

• Zinc Member
'delivering' troops
« on: January 22, 2002, 12:05:18 PM »
The strat help pages say that to capture a field 10 troops must be delivered to the map room by one  of the eligible vehicles.

Once you have the troops loaded,  how do you actually 'deliver' them to the map room?

Also, how much of the town has to be destroyed in order to make the field eligible for capture?  Does the system notify you if this has been accomplished?

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
'delivering' troops
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2002, 12:11:32 PM »
You can deliver troops via LVT2, M3 or C47.  If airborn drop, you must be above 800 ft. AGL.  If ground delivery method, you must be stopped.  You put them in the maproom, Yellow dot on map near the city or the field.  City must be destroyed 100%.  Once capture is complete, the text buffer will tell you that the field has been captured by (XXX) country.

Offline jaus

• Zinc Member
'delivering' troops
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2002, 12:19:54 PM »
Is there a command to put the troops in the map room once you are stopped?  How close do you have to be to the map room ?

Does the system notify you that all of the town has been destroyed?

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
'delivering' troops
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2002, 12:23:44 PM »
Open the doors, and hit the B key (Set your salvo to 10, this way you don't have to hit B key 10 times).  You need to be within about 1000 yards or less to the maproom or the troops will just sit near your vehicle/plane.

There is no FE system notification that the town has been destroyed, you must do a visual BDA to determine that.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2002, 12:25:45 PM by Ripsnort »

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
'delivering' troops
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2002, 12:27:30 PM »
To release troops you must use "O" to open the door, then hit the "B" key or secondary fire button on your joystick.  Use ".salvo 10" to get all troops to jump with one button push.

Once the troops are out, they will decend in their chutes, if air dropped, then run into maproom on their own.  When last troop enters maproom it explodes and capture is awarded.

F.

Offline BadRad1

• Zinc Member
'delivering' troops
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2002, 05:52:17 PM »
When Air Dropping Troops, is there a minium and maximum air speed?

Hammerhead

'delivering' troops
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2002, 07:44:25 AM »
Just a tip, I used to practice it offline.
Pick up a IL2, blow the town flat........and then shuttle them in.
Put downtime to max to make sure that the downed buildings stay down long enough to get there with the grunts.

PROBLEM: There is now a bug I think, when u do a offline capture, as soon as the tenth grunt gets to the map room, the field is returned to its original country, and all the town and ack is regenerated. Those damn acks shoot you up pretty quick.....

Offline steely07

• Silver Member
'delivering' troops
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2002, 05:25:41 PM »
Hammerhead,that bug is quashed with patch 7,thanks HTC. :)
Aces High, Wing Commander, Dickweed Heavy Bomber Group: www.dickweedhbg.com

FSO Films : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFs6CAXBQoVBctljybD65fA?view_as=subscriber

Offline BadRad1

• Zinc Member
'delivering' troops
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2002, 03:34:03 PM »
Thanks Hammerhead ! Great idea ! I play so much online that I forget that I can actually go off line and practice ALOT of things ! Thanks for the tip! :)

Offline AcId

• Silver Member
'delivering' troops
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2002, 08:29:34 AM »
Just to throw in a C47 tip here: There is no Max-Min speed for troop drop in the C47, so the idea there is to be going as slow as possible at droptime to keep the troops relatively close together to minimize the time it takes to capture the base. If your hauling but and flying level and you drop troops then they are going to be spread out across the town/field and that will take them a while to capture the field (they dont run very fast).

Heres what I do after the "GO GOON!!": I open doors and fly toward the town low and level around top speed, when I say low I mean "scare the worms low" that could take some practice if you've never flown the goon that way before. At the edge of the town I cut the throttle to zero and pull up into a verticle climb at the same time watching my alt, when I pass 800ft agl I drop troops. It's going to stall but it's forgiving and you should be able to pull out, try it offline and get it down pat before you do it online.

Offline BadRad1

• Zinc Member
'delivering' troops
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2002, 03:31:20 PM »
Awesome AcId! I will definitely work on that one! usually when I fly the Goony my maintenance officer comlpaines about the grass stains on the prop tips. If its over water, I just the drunks in the back with thier fishing rods out doing some "High speed trolling!" ;)

Offline Jaekart

• Copper Member
'delivering' troops
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2002, 05:32:33 PM »
Originally posted by Furious
To release troops you must use "O" to open the door, then hit the "B" key or secondary fire button on your joystick.  Use ".salvo 10" to get all troops to jump with one button push.

Once the troops are out, they will decend in their chutes, if air dropped, then run into maproom on their own.  When last troop enters maproom it explodes and capture is awarded.

F.

A question here Furios.   how long does the .salvo 10 stay effective ??  Can I go ahead and do it while sitting on the runway before takeoff, and it still be valid once I reach the target drop zone ??

Offline Alpo

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
'delivering' troops
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2002, 07:31:34 AM »
I believe that if you do a .salvo it will remain with that plane type until you change it again.  You don't have to set it every flight unless you don't remember what you set it at the last time ;)
SkyKnights Fighter Group -CO-
R.I.P.  SKDenny 02/03/1940 - 02/19/2012