Author Topic: A newbies comments  (Read 1692 times)

Offline Zeb

• Zinc Member
A newbies comments
« on: October 17, 2000, 12:26:00 PM »
I have just renewed my account in AH.  Things have changed quite a bit since my first short spell earlier in the year.  Most noticeably are more aircraft (love the Lanc) and better flight models.  However, having come from AW it is difficult not to make comparisons with both games.  Being new to AH, there are things I still find strange and bewildering.  However help is always at hand and things are slowly coming together.  One of the main things I miss is player interaction on the ground.  I am used to Officers Clubs, Country HQ's and airfields with briefing room, both private and public.  Also the ability to actually see on a list who in the room with you.  Handy to see when a newcomer pops up.  At the moment I cannot visualise how planning a mission on a squad night or organising a mission at late notice in a scenario is achieved.  If these features are not available, is it something that is being looked at for future updates?

Like I said,  coming from a different game it is a little bewildering at first.  My comments are not criticisms but observations on my part.  Possibly there are solutions already and I am just not aware of them yet  .

Zeb - "Firebirds" 56 (Fighter) Sqn - RAF

[This message has been edited by Zeb (edited 10-17-2000).]

Offline Exile

• Gold Member
      • http://www.simladder.com/
A newbies comments
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2000, 12:38:00 PM »

Originally posted by Zeb:
I miss is player interaction on the ground.  I am used to Officers Clubs, Coutry HQ's and airfields with briefing room, both private and public.  ALso the ability to actually see on a list who in the room with you.  Handy to see when a newcomer pops up.

I miss these things too from AW. I think they added a greater sense of actually being there. You could see who was at the field with you, what squad they were in, current selected plane. It felt like you were at the field with other pilots instead of just hanging out in limbo.

This would be a complete interface change and so I'm not gonna hold my breath waiting for it to happen, just that it would be a nice addition to the overall immersion.  

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
A newbies comments
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2000, 12:39:00 PM »
 Hiya Zeb!! Was nice to see you and "your other half" online yesterday!  

I find the squad's vox and text radio channel has supplanted the OC/breifing room for me.  I do know what you're saying however in that the AW congregating spots were fun. Especially the briefing rooms. It's nice to see a roster of only squad or mission members that you're gathered with. Especially for scenarios. But I never cared much for the ready room except to "<S>" someone as I was coming or going to flight.

-Westy

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
A newbies comments
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2000, 01:24:00 PM »
Ah... I forgot how much I liked that in AW. It'd be great to see that here.

Offline Zeb

• Zinc Member
A newbies comments
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2000, 01:54:00 PM »
Thank's Westy.  I think Helen/Flos enjoyed it as well.  Like you say the radio channels supplant the briefing rooms and OC's.  However it takes a lot to beat the atmosphere and banter that exists in HQ or at the airfields.  I hope the writers to consider this as a part of the game.  It's a very powerful tool in more ways than one.

------------------
Zeb - "Firebirds" 56 (Fighter) Sqn - RAF

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
A newbies comments
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2000, 02:22:00 PM »
Welcome Zeb,
Haven't been on AW since the early 90's, however, I find the Bulletin board here a place for banter, and the sim for flying! <S>

------------------
Ripsnort(-rip1-)
=CO= VMF-323 ~Death Rattlers~
Aces High First Training Corp
"SPEL CHEKER OFF"
Click here for VMF-323 Death Rattlers info
Click here for 15th Panzer info
Click here for interviews with other Aces High Squadrons

"If you cannot learn to do something well,
learn to enjoy doing it poorly"

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
A newbies comments
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2000, 02:30:00 PM »
Nah Rip, it's actually great... Forming up large groups for missions just happened naturally when everyone found themselves passin' through the same room on their way out to their planes. Hard to explain... but it's much more than a chat room.

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
A newbies comments
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2000, 03:50:00 PM »
Here is a suggestion.

If you are in an airfields tower, you can speak on channel 3 (the purple one), and only the people in that airfields tower with you can hear you.

It kind of works like a HQ or briefing room.

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
A newbies comments
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2000, 06:25:00 PM »
FIX THE CHOG!

Brought to you by:
Yeager
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
A newbies comments
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2000, 06:38:00 PM »
Shaddup Yeager.

<THWACK>

funked

A newbies comments
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2000, 06:40:00 PM »

At the moment I cannot visualise how planning a mission on a squad night or organising a mission at late notice in a scenario is achieved.

Check the help files for something called the "mission planner".  This should help your visualization problem.  

<S>

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
A newbies comments
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2000, 09:47:00 PM »
I gotta agree with Zeb on this one.

I attended my first scenario type event tonight.  The ready rooms, briefing rooms etc really help to permit the player to concentrate on the job at hand.  The roster would also list all players, the aircraft they are in (frndlies only)and/or the field they are at if on the ground.  Really helped i'd think with event management.  Its not needed in the MA i find, but i think it would help with events.
Perhaps a revised roster would be a step in the right direction

SKurj