Author Topic: How far to lead  (Read 503 times)

Offline qts

• Nickel Member
      • None yet
How far to lead
« on: January 27, 2002, 11:02:00 AM »
I'm getting better at target tracking- I've now managed two kills in one sortie - but I'm still in spray-and-pray mode. My main problem is lag: I still find it difficult to guage and aim where I expect someone to be rather than aim where they actually appear to be. It gets worse in that everyone has a different lag time, myself included.

So, if I'm in a duel, how do I (quickly) guage an opponent's lag?

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
How far to lead
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2002, 11:37:16 AM »
One tip is to fire twice as much infront of the target than what you think it should be.  Usually most people are firing too short of their target.

Internet lag has no effect on shooting.  Aces High is coded using WYSIWYG- What you see is what you get.

If you fire at someone and it hits them your computer will send a packet to the server saying that you have hit a plane.  Your computer determines if you hit anything, not the server.  The server will not judge where your bullet travelled, it merely sends a "you''ve been hit" packet to the enemy plane.

It's warping that causes trouble shooting, because you can't judge where they will be it's difficult to lead a target.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2002, 11:55:02 AM by thrila »
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline Apar

• Silver Member
How far to lead
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2002, 12:08:20 PM »
qts,

It helps allot to practice on the off-line targets that fly cirkles around the field you are at. ALthough they fly a standard pattern you can use them to improve your aiming skills. Attack em from all sorts of angles (other than dead six) and at different speed. Lead shooting requires allot of practice. If you miss a shot in the practice on the offline drones, try to go for exact same approach until you get it right than procede practicing the next merge angle, etc.

Apar

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
How far to lead
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2002, 12:35:19 PM »
Qts as thrila pointed out you can ignore lag when shooting. You shoot at targets on your own computer. Lag is a factor when judging attacks on yourself because you are getting shot at on somebody else's computer with possibly different relative aircraft positions then you see on your computer. In other words, aircraft on your 6 may be closer than they appear.

SimHq.com has a lot of useful information in the air combat corner. These two links will help your gunnery.

http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/air_combat/gunsights/

http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/air_combat/RAFgun/

--)-FLS----
Musketeers

Offline allUSA

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.ghostrider305.com
How far to lead
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2002, 06:35:02 PM »
Here are a couple films...

The first one shows a couple shots from different angels (inclucing my 'spray-n-pray' ideas).

The second one belongs in the thread 'Tips for new LW pilots'.

Both show you real good ways to get shot down. Hope you all get a good laugh out of them.

Here

« Last Edit: January 27, 2002, 08:59:01 PM by allUSA »

Offline elstevie

• Copper Member
      •  http://stevenewing_1.tripod.com/bf109/
How far to lead
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2002, 07:19:54 PM »
page dont work.

Offline qts

• Nickel Member
      • None yet
How far to lead
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2002, 02:44:29 PM »
Cheers all, now I know I've been doing it all wrong.

Offline HocBao

• Zinc Member
How far to lead
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2002, 06:08:25 PM »
Ah-ha! That explains it! Thanks for this very informative post.

I have often wondered how that bandit on my six can shoot and kill me when I am turning hard and can look back and clearly see his canopy. In reality, if his bullets are hitting me he has to be pulling lead on me in which case I'd be looking over my shoulder at the underside of his plane.

I have also been diving below my opponent in an HO where visually it appears he is pointed over me yet his bullets rip me apart. I have also noticed the same visual when being fired upon by a bomber. The bullet stream appears to be going overhead but manages to dewing my aircraft anyway.

Of course, it could just be my pitiful eyesight and poor judgement.

Thanks to qts, thrila, Apar, FLS and the rest for this great post.

Hoc

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
How far to lead
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2002, 09:00:22 AM »
This is where lag comes into play HocBao.  Because he shoots what he sees on his FE and you don't see where he is for a half second or more, a bogey closing on your six is always going to be closer than he looks, and if he is pulling angles on you, he will have more angle than it looks like.

You must take this into account especially in merge situations where your opponent takes a head-on shot.  The high closure rate makes the range difference even larger, so you need to start your evasive and your merge move earlier than it "looks" like.  I normally start a HO evasive at 1.5k or so and hit my turn actually before we pass at between 300 and 500 yards depending on closure speed.  You allso need to take lag into account when somebody is on your six, since if they are closing they will be closer on their FE than they appear on yours, and can have a better angle on you than it appears as well.  For this reason, you need to guess a bit and hit your evasives at slightly longer ranges than you would think.

If you think about the issues involved in a global network like this, it's actually amazing that it works as well as it does. :)

Offline qts

• Nickel Member
      • None yet
How far to lead
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2002, 04:57:12 PM »
Thanks to everyone here: my first sortie after this, I bagged two kills.

Offline Am0n

• Nickel Member
How far to lead
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2002, 09:00:50 AM »
Go offline, set ammo to 10X fuel to slow burn rate and pratice gunnery there. That improved my gunnery 10 fold.

Practicing with live targets isnt really practice, thats the real deal.

Offline Sancho

• Silver Member
      • http://www.56thfightergroup.com
How far to lead
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2002, 08:51:15 PM »
Originally posted by Am0n
Go offline, set ammo to 10X fuel to slow burn rate and pratice gunnery there. That improved my gunnery 10 fold.

Offline practice helps a lot.  I spend about an hour shooting at drones whenever my skills need a tune up.  I would add turn down plane gun lethality to 0.25, or lower.  This will force you to get longer sustained bursts on target to get kills.  This pays off when you go online and fly .50 cal equipped planes.