Author Topic: Vehicles? Request for tutorial  (Read 354 times)

Offline Duedel

• Silver Member
Vehicles? Request for tutorial
« on: January 30, 2002, 05:52:05 AM »
Hi all,

I'ld like to improve my overall rank but im really a blockhead in vehicles.
I can't kill any object, my gunnery against any kind of plane is really crap (unless it freezes in front of my gunsight at d100) and I don't even know which vehicle for what kind of attack/defense.
I would be really really really thankful if somebody could post a short tutorial in:
"How to be succesful with gv's even if your name is Duedel" :D

Offline Duedel

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2002, 03:34:05 PM »
There must be someone who is better than me (in fact everyone is better than me)!
There must be!
Please I really need help especially in gunnery.
What gunsight is good? How to calculate the correction angle? ...

Offline poppysead

• Zinc Member
Vehicle headaches fixed.
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2002, 03:52:23 PM »
I've noticed that that though most players shy away from vehicles, they are vital in the defence of an airfield. As far as leading goes no gunsight can truly eliminate deflection angle and distance problems encounterd when shooting at an enemy plane with the 4 50.s on the am track or one from a jeep. So my advice is to play in a vehicle with anti aircraft guns and learn the instinct that is needed to be an affective aaa threat. And remember kiddies though the planes may get the glory the aaa in the vehicles on the ground are the last things that can be launched from a fuel hungry field being overrun by bombers and c-47s. So dont be afraid to shoot the paratroopers in the chutes, war is hell.     poppysead.:mad:

Offline majic

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2002, 10:44:15 PM »
Learning where to lead the plane just comes from experience.     (i. e.- practice)  One big tip...don't waste ammo firing at extreme range.  (I usually only shoot when within 1.5 at the most)   The easiest (and usually where you get kills) shot is when the plane is strafing...he/she has to come staight for you!  Another tip...use your zoom...it can help.  Good luck.

Offline Duedel

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2002, 03:24:59 AM »
OK this was the first step, thx. If I'm in a fighter I don't have problems with deflection shots at d500. In a GV I doubt that one can hit a target at d1.5 with the .50 cal of the M16 - if they are the same guns like the ones in a F4U or P51.
What the range does the 37mm Flak have?
Why isn't there a gunsight with which you can calculate the angle of deflection?
Which vehicle (M16 or Ostwind) you would suggest for base defense?

Offline Xjazz

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2002, 03:49:36 AM »
Hi Duedel

GV guns need a LOT of lead to gain some hits.

When I buz around with my attacker plane some field I notest that many GV gunners shoot way too short lead.

Osties and field guns fire rate is very slow to compare to M16, so they are more difficult to use.

I use off sight aiming when plane goes by very close.

Im not too good with GVs too. Check my vehicle status...

Offline myelo

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2002, 08:21:49 AM »
I’m certainly no expert, but here’s my approach. For base defense I like the ostwind because when I finally hit a plane I want to see parts coming off. I use Torquila’s sight (the one with the rings for 1k, 2k, and 2.5K). This is available from HTC home page ->community->gunsight gallery.

You will get most kills when the fighters are trying to strafe you because they usually fly straight at you. I aim with the plane centered on the 1K ring (a little zoom helps here). Start shooting when the plane’s icon shows 1.5K. You often get a hit by the time they are at 1k. One hit will almost always take care of a fighter. An IL-2 may take several hits. If they are still alive and get inside 1K, put the pipper right on the plane. Once they get this close though you may take some hits. If they have bombs or rockets you really need to kill them before they get this close.

For deflection shots, I don’t even try unless they are 1k or less. Even then, it takes a lot of practice and a fair amount of luck. Don’t use any zoom and lead them a lot. I usually aim way in front and hope they fly into a shell. If there are a lot of enemy fighters, as is often the case in base defense, I only shoot at the ones coming for me. Otherwise you can get distracted, allowing another fighter to get you.

The same principles hold for the M16. Deflection shooting is a little easier but of course it takes more hits.

I find I aim best when I’m not moving. During lulls, I try to make my to the town for any c47s coming in. Once you get moving you can drive from the turret position, where you can see better and shoot if necessary (use rudder to steer).

Be on the lookout for bombers because if you are stationary they will drop a bomb on your head. If I see a bomber heading towards me, I jump to the driver position and start moving as fast as possible – get your speed up and then maybe turn a little. I rarely waste ammo on a bomber unless they are really low. Usually this means they are out of bombs and trying to gun you. It often takes several 37mm hits to kill a big bomber.
myelo
Bastard coated bastard, with a creamy bastard filling