Author Topic: My first sortie in the CT  (Read 1080 times)

Offline Mr Hanky

• Copper Member
My first sortie in the CT
« on: February 05, 2002, 01:01:24 PM »
I flew in the CT last night and got an uncomfortable feeling from it.

I almost felt as if the CT were being treated as a "Gentleman's" club.  I definately felt like someone wearing a big "visotor's badge" on the lapel of his smoking jacket.  Conversations between the active members were not allowed to include me to the point of me asking one question to someone by name and not receiving any kind of reply.  Almost as if they looked right past me to say hello to the member behind me.

I entered an engagement and got my first kill ever in a Ki-61 or in the CT and said so to the rest of the people that were there.  No response once again.  I didn't feel particularly welcome.

I spotted a P-51 being drug on the deck by a 190.  I dove in to clear and got the P-51 to slow.  The Fw190 re-engaged the P-51 from over my shoulder and I let him go... where he promptly augered as the P-51 did a barel roll.  I shot the P-51 down 10 seconds later and was amazed at two things.  I never received a thankyou for giving the Fw another shot at the P-51.. and the P-51 pilot 'd the Fw 190 pilot by name and sent nothing my way.  This was a fight that I entered with two people flying in a straight line... with one at an obvious disadvantage.  I began to think more about the ediqette of the situation than simply being practical.

All this is from my first sortie in the arena.  I'll try a tour flying there exclusively to test it out and see if my first impressions are simply wrong.  The question is... how many others would do the same?

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2002, 01:14:26 PM »
I think your treatment there was something of a fluke, Mr. Hanky.

I don't usually talk much when I'm flying, and I'm quite a dweeb on top of that, but even so, people there seem to be pretty friendly to me... I bet you'l find that is the case if you spend much time in there.   G'luck
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2002, 01:16:11 PM »
Sorry Mr.Hanky, I know I have a bad habit from the MA, Well not maybe a bad habit, but someone (name excapes me) In another thread saaid In the MA you seldom get to Type a or anything before your neck deep in enemy again. That Habit is still with me, combined with Some people you can joke with and others Twist every word that is said. I type in CH1, but it's ussually useless garble.  I'd say Come and try CT again, I'm starting to meet new people and talk to them That i would of otherwise never gave a second thought in the MA.

Come on back in... If you see me in the roster, give me a hello, and i'll return the .

And if you see Mathman flying his big blue bird, Aim for his cat ( it's usually doing the flying)

NUTTZ

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2002, 01:16:23 PM »
I think your initial impressions are only mostly correct.

But this is not merely true of the CT.  AH vets have had a long history of ignoring new folks.  I think it is just a matter of not investing any emotion or effort until they are sure you will be sticking around.  

Most folks you see in the MA talking to the newbies are themselves new.

F.

Offline Udie at Work

• Copper Member
Re: My first sortie in the CT
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2002, 01:18:02 PM »
Originally posted by Mr Hanky

I flew in the CT last night and got an uncomfortable feeling from it.

I get sweaty palms there :) and get the shakes sometimes too!

I almost felt as if the CT were being treated as a "Gentleman's" club.  I definately felt like someone wearing a big "visotor's badge" on the lapel of his smoking jacket.  Conversations between the active members were not allowed to include me to the point of me asking one question to someone by name and not receiving any kind of reply.  Almost as if they looked right past me to say hello to the member behind me.

Well the problem might have been that they didn't see you typing.  Alot of people have squads there and talk mainly on the squad channel.   There may have been a mission going at that time and they may have been typing on the mission channel.  It could be that you're text just scrolled by before anybody saw it.

I entered an engagement and got my first kill ever in a Ki-61 or in the CT and said so to the rest of the people that were there.  No response once again.  I didn't feel particularly welcome.

WTG!  Congrats on you're first CT kill :) better late than never :)  

I spotted a P-51 being drug on the deck by a 190.  I dove in to clear and got the P-51 to slow.  The Fw190 re-engaged the P-51 from over my shoulder and I let him go... where he promptly augered as the P-51 did a barel roll.  I shot the P-51 down 10 seconds later and was amazed at two things.  I never received a thankyou for giving the Fw another shot at the P-51.. and the P-51 pilot 'd the Fw 190 pilot by name and sent nothing my way.  This was a fight that I entered with two people flying in a straight line... with one at an obvious disadvantage.  I began to think more about the ediqette of the situation than simply being practical.

Well I don't know what to say here.  I'll usually give thanks if I'm helped out as do most I know of.  It could be that one of them or both though you "interupted" a good 1v1.  I don't look at it that way.  You did what needed to be done to kill the bad guy.  You even let the 190 take a shot at it, that's good character :)

All this is from my first sortie in the arena.  I'll try a tour flying there exclusively to test it out and see if my first impressions are simply wrong.  The question is... how many others would do the same?

Please do it's a hoot when there get to be about 30+ people in there.   As you're name gets more familiar you'll be noticed as one of the regulars and feel right at home.  If you fly axis look for me I'll wing with ya if I'm in there.

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2002, 01:30:58 PM »
Welcome to the CT MrHanky!

Sorry it wasn't much fun, give it a time and I'm sure it will get better.

I miss a lot of text when I am busy and often don't type when I am in the combat zone.
The short icon range means that you can get bounced if you alow yourself to get distracted.   I've only logged about 4 or 5 hours so far this tour and have been bounced 2 times while typing, LOL.

eskimo

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2002, 01:57:35 PM »
Hiya MrHanky!

Long time, no see. Yah, It's me.

Wing me up in the CT, and I'll talk yer ear off. ;)

And welcome back, bud!
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2002, 01:59:53 PM »
did you get a kill or the assist on the P51?   if you just got an assist, then the P51 woulda saw the 190's name, and saluted based off of the name he saw.  Otherwise, he knew in advance who the 190 was and 'd a long fight.  *shrug*  I've done all the work and got assists, and the other guy was the one who received the salute.  (happens in both arenas)  no big deal to me.   me, cool.  don't and still cool.  :)

Personally, I tease the guy who shot me down before giving a salute.  ;)  It's just my cynical nature.  "it only took 5 of ya to kill little ol' me? "  or teasing hblair over the weekend after he got me "Bama still sucks!  "   he deserved it tho.  ;)

try it out a few more times and see if it grows on you.  you might have just caught it at a bad time.  If you don't like it, don't fly it.  If you do like it, then fly it.
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2002, 02:18:17 PM »
Originally posted by NUTTZ
Come on back in... If you see me in the roster, give me a hello, and i'll return the

Look for a high P-47 flying straight and level.  The best way to introduce yourself is by sharing some of your ammunition.

Heh heh.

- oldman

Offline ZOSO

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2002, 02:40:42 PM »
New callsign "rustler".  I'm pretty sure I was the Mustang in question.  The 190 and I had a running battle over several sectors thus the to him.  No offence was meant.  In all honesty I must say I think you're being a little too sensitive.  Sometimes people are too busy fighting, afk, or whatever to respond to the text channels.  I hope you find future ventures into the CT more enjoyable.

Offline Mr Hanky

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2002, 02:45:27 PM »
Hangtime... you were on last night while I was there.  I shot the spit off your 6 as you drug the hurricane and spit in the vertical... tagart got the hurricane.  Besides, I don't believe I am the person you are thinking I am... I only appeared a few months ago... just before Christmas.

As for the rest of these posts....

They are very reassuring.  But the point is missed.  There's only one chance for first impressions.  I'm going to continue in the CT for the rest of the tour... I've said as much... but I felt I needed to share this sortie with you.  I will say I felt more acceptance in this forum than I felt in the CT last night.  I just don't know if that is a good thing or not.

And I wouldn't have brought this stuff up if it weren't somewhat obvious at the time it occured.  Yes I was awarded the kill of the P-51.  The conversations I tried to participate in were on Channel 2... not during engagements.  The one thing they weren't were misunderstandings.

I accept that these things happen and it was just a matter of what expectations I had/have.  But when I see 4 pilots going on about how wonderful it is I can't help but think of the word "perspective"... and I wonder who this arena is catering to.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2002, 02:48:22 PM by Mr Hanky »

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2002, 04:56:13 PM »
Ahh. I take it then that you are not the MrHanky from the Pale Horses of WB's fame.

Sorry I muffed your 'first impressions'.. I coulda swore I answered you when you asked what we were attacking when you logged in.
And I coulda swore I typed "That was beautiful, WTFG!' to you and taggart after I pulled those two guys up into a vert set.. you want flowers next time? I was pretty happy.. thought you were too. That was my bellybutton hangin out up there.. would not have dragged into the vert if I thought you guys couldn't get the kills. Didn't know i needed to single you outta the 4 other guys in that fight, all of whom, like you; did a damn fine job there...

As i recall, there was ALSO a brand new guy up in there, I spent some time answereing his questions, shot a few guys off his six, and handled his further questions regarding flaps and speed and cornering and flight models.. all mundane TA stuff, but I took the time. Didn't hear you ask for assistance, or I woulda given you the same attention... but i guess you musta missed that.

And, my friend; first impressions work both ways.

I will endeavor to improve. My apologies.

The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2002, 05:27:35 PM »
YA, YA, YAH,, I was getting two beers outta the fridge, One for me One for you,, From now on i'll just get One!:)

NUTTZ

Originally posted by Oldman731

Look for a high P-47 flying straight and level.  The best way to introduce yourself is by sharing some of your ammunition.

Heh heh.

- oldman

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
CT
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2002, 06:36:07 PM »
I just flew in here since the new setup for the first time a few nights ago, and was very suprised out how nice it was, I got   for getting shot down lol.  

Everyone seemed pretty nice and I love not having to fight allied planes! lol

Great fun I say.

Oh and when am I not a newbie/dweeb? I have 6 months or so under my belt!

:D

GTO2
« Last Edit: February 05, 2002, 06:39:00 PM by GtoRA2 »

Offline Mr Hanky

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2002, 07:35:20 PM »
Ahh. I take it then that you are not the MrHanky from the Pale Horses of WB's fame.

No... I am not of warbirds fame at all.

Sorry I muffed your 'first impressions'.. I coulda swore I answered you when you asked what we were attacking when you logged in.
And I coulda swore I typed "That was beautiful, WTFG!' to you and taggart after I pulled those two guys up into a vert set.. you want flowers next time? I was pretty happy.. thought you were too. That was my bellybutton hangin out up there.. would not have dragged into the vert if I thought you guys couldn't get the kills. Didn't know i needed to single you outta the 4 other guys in that fight, all of whom, like you; did a damn fine job there...

As i recall, there was ALSO a brand new guy up in there, I spent some time answereing his questions, shot a few guys off his six, and handled his further questions regarding flaps and speed and cornering and flight models.. all mundane TA stuff, but I took the time. Didn't hear you ask for assistance, or I woulda given you the same attention... but i guess you musta missed that.

And, my friend; first impressions work both ways.

I will endeavor to improve. My apologies.

Needless to say.. I rechecked the film after reading your posts... and I'll have to stand by my story.  I'll only add that there was a WTFG! after you were cleared followed by a congrats to Taggart (by name) and dead silence after my "first kill" announcement.  That's where that impression came from.  That's not all you... but you were the person I directly asked "Hangtime, what are you flying?"  Combine it all and the impression was there.

I'll send you the .ahf if you'd like.  You can tell for yourself if I'm simply exagerating or being honest in my posts.

As for what you did before/after my visit... its somewhat irrelivant.  This was MY first impression.  You didn't make the impression that way.. it just happened.  You happened to be there.  Its not criticism of your behavior... just a recap of the overall sortie.