Author Topic: So you want to learn ACM?  (Read 481 times)

Offline aknimitz

• Silver Member
So you want to learn ACM?
« on: February 06, 2002, 11:23:06 AM »
NOTE: What is contained in this post is NOT for the novice pilot.  It is for a pilot who has a good amount of stick time in WWII planes, but just isnt comfortable with their ACM and wants to improve.

Everyone wants to learn more and better Air Combat Maneuvering.  Why?  Well, the more you learn, the more you kill.  The more you kill, the happier you become.  The happier you become, the more you wife/girlfriend/parents are willing to let you play :)  So, how should you go about accomplishing this feat?  I have a suggestion.  It invovles swallowing your pride, being willing to die ... all for the sake of learning.  And I cannot claim ownership of this suggestion, as it was given to me by one of the great sticks in AH, RWY.  

So, are you ready?  Ok, here goes.  First of all, pick the plane you want to learn to get nasty in, lets say the P51D.  We arent gonna be running, we are gonna be fighting, and at a disadvantage.  When I was asking RWY many many months ago what things I should do in order to become a better pilot ... his answer was relatively simple.  He told me to do what he (and many great sticks) had to do.  Pick a plane, and fly it at 5000 feet.  Yep, 5000 feet!  This is going to almost always permit an nme to bounce you.  But, this also forces you to quickly learn how to fly on the defensive.  ANYONE can BnZ a P51 and amass a wonderful kill streak by hitting and running.  Much fewer can take a P51 and knife fight with it - but boy is it fun!  

Here is my suggestion.  Pick your plane, whatever it may be.  Load it out with fuel of choice, but dont go climbing to 20K.  UP and level at 5K.  Get some speed up, and get ready to be bounced.  This will allow you to fine tune your scissors, barrel rolls, and other ACM.  But, one thing that is a MUST ... FILM FILM FILM.  When you lose a fight, and arent sure why, FILM always has the answer.  Its a wonderful feature of AH, use it and learn from it.  

It is important that you are able to set aside scores.  You are going to die, a lot.  Dont let it get to you.  Hang in there, learn and get ready to be handing out the asswhippin's in the near future.

GL!
Nim

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2002, 12:08:56 PM »
good advice NIM!
been doing just that mostly in jugs and f6f for the past tour.
at the beggining I was blasted out of the skies time after time. dont remember how many film of that, I watched - and deleted with disgust. but toward the end of the tour I managed to pick some 3-5 kill sorties and raise my K/D to about 1 in the jugs.
I now even have some films worthy of saving. still not quite there, but the system works!

record and watch. then watch some aces films posted here. continue recording till films match :)

Bozon
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline bikekil

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2002, 12:09:31 PM »
interesting :D

Offline gavor

• Nickel Member
      • http://users.senet.com.au/~shanga
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2002, 08:52:41 PM »
nimitz, i like the cut of your jib son

Offline janjan

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2002, 07:05:58 AM »
Yup, found out that some time ago as well - and actually start liking it! My initial climbs have been lowered a lot - to 5-10k mostly in 109. It's just so much rewarding to win from underdog or sometimes to even to get away from the situation.

Actually k/d have gone up with it too.

Of course some safer flying time to time is really nice also.

Offline Modas

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
Re: So you want to learn ACM?
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2002, 08:51:45 AM »
Originally posted by aknimitz
[B

But, one thing that is a MUST ... FILM FILM FILM.  When you lose a fight, and arent sure why, FILM always has the answer.  Its a wonderful feature of AH, use it and learn from it.  

Does the film function have the ability to "jump" into the action like you could with an AW film?  When reviewing films, what is the best position to view from?  I've tried the F3 view but I find it very difficult to track the other a/c when looking from the tail end of my plane.  Is there another view that allow you to look at the fite, without viewing it from behind your a/c?  Kinda like an battle field overview?  Or am I just talking smack?  

Great post AKnimitz!  :-)

Modas
8=X Cutthroats

Offline aknimitz

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2002, 09:16:14 AM »
You can fast forward through the film.  I suggest filming in short bursts and deleting film on a regular basis.  Nothing like trying to go through a 30min film you left running to find 1 fight.  I sometimes try to film fight by fight if I think it might be worth filming.  

I like to use all sorts of views.  I will use F3 some and pan around with my hat view (you can also zoom in and out).  I will also use F5 and zoom in/out and my pan around with my POV hat there too.

Hope this helps.

Nim

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2002, 09:34:15 AM »
Beginning to understand why I've seen you at 7K so much lately Nimitz. ;)

Of course I'm joking, Nimitz is always ready to help anyone improve, we're gonna hafta beat that outta him.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2002, 07:09:49 AM »
I myself leave the "trail option on "when reviewing films from the outside views .For as it shows exactly the planes angles and path thru the sky as to your own and its very hard to not miss the mistackes and not learn from them.
Then watch the film again from the cockpit .Use all the different F key views along w/ F 11  for pan instead of snap .
 It has improved my acm skills 100% overnite. :)

Also trading films with your fav nemisis in the skys, Brib them with whiskey if nessesary .  :D
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline ICKID

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2002, 01:43:57 PM »
OK, I'm a newbee,  Film?  how does it work? what starts it? stops it? where is the file stored? is a film view required?
IcKid

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2002, 02:09:58 PM »
Be default when flying AH, I think ALT-R will toggle film recording on and off.  The films are atomatically saved in your AH/films directory.  To view the films, run AH and press the Film button on the keyboard.  Then open, select a film, and press play to view it.

If you get films from somebody else, simply drop them into your Aces High\films directory for easy access.

Offline Vector

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2002, 09:34:56 AM »
S!
I've done it in "nimitz-style" few times during this tour and I've  already figured out something; don't fly below 20k!! :p

Offline Wardog

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2002, 12:17:51 PM »
Nimitz got it dead on. I prefer 10k DTs and 25% fuel in the p51. 5k was a good alt when Max arena numbers where 170 but with 400 guys in the MA 10k is perfect for letting a few guys jump ya or for jumping into a massive furball. Aint nothin gona blow your heart out like a low furball in the p51. From beta to tour 13 i flew the p51 only, then switched to the Typhoon for a bit more of a challenge. Now with hi MA numbers im back in the p51 for furballing.

Dog out..................