Author Topic: Operation flashpoint...  (Read 703 times)

Offline Blue Mako

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org/BLUEmako.htm
Operation flashpoint...
« on: February 13, 2002, 07:16:49 PM »
...is driving me crazy!

I am up to the mission where Guba is trying to escape from the island but I can't work out how to finish it.

I can kill the Scud missile ok but I always end up dying trying to find Guba.  Can anyone give me some hints please?!!!!

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
Operation flashpoint...
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2002, 07:28:01 PM »
IIRC there is a jeep and a truck at the base where you start.  Put one guy on the jeep's MG then hop in as driver.  Put the rest of the troops in the truck and have them follow you.  Drive east along the road then north until you hit the road that runs along the north coast of the island.  

Hide the vehicles ~500 yards from the road.  They will draw fire if you don't hide them.  Then hump down to the road and set up an ambush.  

A mechanized squad with a couple of tanks will come down the road before Guba.  Try to avoid an engagement with them.  After the patrol passes, Guba will come along in his car from the west.  

You have to take him alive.  Stop his UAZ by either shooting the driver or shooting out the tires or the engine.  His Spetznatz guards will hop out and shoot at you.  Kill them but don't hit Guba.  Your troops are smart enough to shoot only the guards.  As long as you are careful with your bullets and don't use a rocket or grenade you will be OK.

Another way to do this is to steal the Hind which is located at one of the bases near your start base.  You have to gas it up, then put one of your grunts as CP/G, and put the rest in the cabin.  Then you fly it to the ambush spot, dismount, capture Guba, then hop back in and go Scud hunting.

Offline Raubvogel

• Gold Member
Operation flashpoint...
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2002, 07:41:58 PM »
Bah! You guys are doing it the hard way. There is an abandoned Russian base a few miles from where you start. There's like 2 guards and that's it. Kill them, then go out back. You'll find a nice Hind gunship there just needing some fuel. Go back inside the camp and you'll find a fuel truck. Refuel the Hind and lay waste to everything. (you'll have to land and find a good ambush site to get Guba.)

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
Operation flashpoint...
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2002, 08:29:46 PM »
Here's the absolute DIRT supereasy way:
1. Get the Hind
The precise way to do this is:
Grab one guy, get in the MG Jeep and drive S from the base -- road will turn W.  At the T turn N.  The road will bend W into a base.  Kill the two guards on the perimeter.  Drive into the base, and get in the fuel truck.  Drive the fuel truck out the W gate, and you will spy a Hind.  Pull up, get in hind, refuel.  
2. Kill the Scud
Now, you know where the SCUD is, so fly the Hind fast E over the scattered enemy until you're due S of the point on the peninsula where the hind is.  Save game here.  Turn N and choke off missiles at the targets that appear.  You should get the "Scud killed" message.
3. Kill Guba
One little-known fact is that Guba never makes it to the port.  His UAZ breaks down.  So the best way to catch Guba is to fly back to where you took off from, then head up to the road and patrol until you find a UAZ.  Land and take down the SpetzNatz dudes. game over.

Offline Blue Mako

• Silver Member
Operation flashpoint...
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2002, 08:57:57 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys.  Now I'm sitting here at work itching to get home and try the tips out!

Offline Blue Mako

• Silver Member
Operation flashpoint...
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2002, 06:02:32 PM »
Okay I did it!  Took me a few goes (keep hitting trees) but I finished the mission, scud dead and Guba captured... game over. :)

Only prob now, the game keeps crashing whenever it tries to load an external view of the Cessna in the Epilogue mission...  Is there anything worth seeing in that last mission?

Offline Raubvogel

• Gold Member
Operation flashpoint...
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2002, 06:42:24 PM »
Not really.....you fly around in a Mi-8 and pick up some guys to go get a beer ;)

Offline Mighty1

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Operation flashpoint...
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2002, 07:47:03 AM »
The ending was very dissapointing but the rest of the game made up for it.
I have been reborn a new man!

Notice I never said a better man.

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Operation flashpoint...
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2002, 09:26:58 AM »
Okay- how do you get past the mission where you are stuck in the forest all by yourself with your squad all dead?

I can get close to the second evac point (the one that pops up after Morton is no longer an option), but there's a squad of 8 Russians that run by on the road and even if I run by them, I don't get very far and still can't find the evac area...

Is the evac area easily noticeable? Is there a chopper there or something? Cuz for the life of me, I can't find it and whenever I get close that squad of Russians takes me out.
-SW

Offline Kratzer

• Gold Member
      • http://www.luftjagerkorps.com/
Operation flashpoint...
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2002, 09:37:20 AM »
Lots and lots of crawling.

Remember, if you are prone, you are invisible to tanks and helicopters.

You have to do some shooting to get through, then just drag yourself (in whatever condition you are in) to the evac point marked on the map (and no, there is not a helicopter there).  Then comes the surprise.

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Operation flashpoint...
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2002, 10:01:48 AM »
Okay, so basically as long once I get to that point that I keep dying, stop, drop and crawl?

When I first start out, (I screwed the pooch and saved at the point where you get out of the first forest to the south) there's a squad of Russians traversing a hill in front of me with several tanks and other heavy equipment to my left. I can easily avoid that squad, then there's a lone guy I take out and haul bellybutton all the way to the next forest. By this point, the Morton has been taken or whatever and a new evac point has been established. I'm also in the second forest south of where you start out. I haul bellybutton through this forest too, and there's just one guy running through which I kill too. I get to the edge of this forest and this is where the evac point is supposed to be near...

should I go ahead and kill this entire squad of Russians? If I don't, will they keep circling the area?

There's no way to visually identify the evac point either? So I gotta pretty much hope my map reading and compass headings are correct?

Thanks!
-SW

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Operation flashpoint...
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2002, 10:03:35 AM »
Oh, and my last question: Is there a time limit to get to this evac point? It takes me about 10 minutes to get to the point I described above, if I don't get to this new evac point in the next couple of minutes will I be screwed and have to start over or is there no time limit?
Thanks again.
-SW

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
Operation flashpoint...
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2002, 10:10:42 AM »
where did you guys get this Guba hunting mission.  i killed the scud and went back over the hill to where i parked the jeep and the campaign ended after i started down the back side of the hill, before i even got to the jeep.

did the campaign change after a upgrade? i finished it before i got any upgrades.

Offline Raubvogel

• Gold Member
Operation flashpoint...
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2002, 10:29:12 AM »
Originally posted by AKSWulfe
Okay- how do you get past the mission where you are stuck in the forest all by yourself with your squad all dead?

I can get close to the second evac point (the one that pops up after Morton is no longer an option), but there's a squad of 8 Russians that run by on the road and even if I run by them, I don't get very far and still can't find the evac area...

Is the evac area easily noticeable? Is there a chopper there or something? Cuz for the life of me, I can't find it and whenever I get close that squad of Russians takes me out.
-SW

Once again, folks are giving you the hard way out :)

This is the one right after the Hinds chase you into the forest, right? Well, when you spawn, you'll see a dead squadmate in front of you. Run up and snag his LAW. Then, hang a left and head through the forest to the west ( I think....look on your map and find the closest small town...head to it). You'll come out of the forest into a very small village guarded by a BMP. Kill the BMP with your LAW. There'll be a small car there. Hop into it and haul bellybutton toward the evac point. Don't bother avoiding any enemy armor, as long as you stay fast they won't be able to track you fast enough to kill you. The evac point will change....head for the second point. I won't tell you what to do after you get to the second one, you'll figure it out :)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2002, 10:31:54 AM by Raubvogel »

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Operation flashpoint...
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2002, 10:38:47 AM »
Ah crap! So there *IS* any easier way out!

Damn, I spent like 4 days trying to pump my legs through the forest ducking behind bushes and hoping that them russians wouldn't find me. Usually I'd stand up right as a patrol was about 10 yards in front of me. Heh.

Thanks for the tip Raub, that sounds a lot easier than what I've been doing.. and probably a lot less time consuming!
-SW