Author Topic: THIS Thread - It SUCK's  (Read 511 times)

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
Buff's- THEY SUCK
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2002, 09:53:15 AM »
And all that goes to show you avoid the guns at all costs, which minus my whiney rant say's alot about how very suspect destructive they are.

They are, ain't they?

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
Buff's- THEY SUCK
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2002, 10:44:08 AM »
Oh, I agree with you that .50 cals seem to do a bit to much damage to planes- just not only the ones on bombers is all I'm saying.

Offline CavemanJ

• Silver Member
Buff's- THEY SUCK
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2002, 10:44:21 AM »
now as I recall, Pyro posted way back when that the buff guns had a small boost to maximum effective range to counter the net lag issue and keep someone from parking off a buff's 6, being in range for thier guns but appearing out of range to the buff because of net lag.  Something like 300yds or so to max effective range (NOT max range).

Now a couple nits ago, not long before we rooks reset Mindanao and got rid of it for a day or two, my wingman and I were sweeping just south of A59 looking for any bandits trying to come hit our strike group.  We happened up 6 B-17s heading southeast along the coast line trying to grab altitude.  The leader had a little seperation from the group, and there was a straggler behind the formation.  Set up left and right and in we went, down goes the leader.  Up and over, in again, down goes the straggler.  Rinse, wash, repeat until all 6 buffs are down, which took us about 5-7minutes.  No damage at all to me or Lucky.  As we were dispatching the last 2 another squad mate came in and made a run and got the Golden BB, 1 ping taking out the radiator.  Said buff died 30 seconds later under a hail of fire from my pony :D.

Was a wild ride that I didna expect to survive :D

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
Buff's- THEY SUCK
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2002, 11:18:06 AM »
Man, if Caveman can not whine about them, next post will be by Whino, I mean Rhino, then soon Kbman with his 1000 page manual on excuses why he got shot down.

I retract in humiliation, my feeble attempt to question the buffs guns. MAn, some get a DUI manslaughter charge, I get this. Blarrrg.

Offline CavemanJ

• Silver Member
Buff's- THEY SUCK
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2002, 01:09:01 PM »
heheh you remembering way back when I used to whine about'em creamo?  :D  back they were too weak and I was a dedicated buff driver.  Man those were the days!

I do think going over the buff guns again is a good idea.  There have been plenty of times where I've recieved one ping from a buff and lost both wings, all tail surfaces and controls, engine, oil, radiator,pilot wounded, and even the empenage falls off.

Apparently the game isn't coded the same for playing hits from buff guns.  In theory you should hear every hit on your aircraft, and been plenty of times I've heard hits for several seconds after being sent back to the tower.  But never with buff guns.  Occasionally I'll hear a few of the small ricochet-type sounds then one big damage crunch and my kite evaporates or is so damaged that it no longer looks like an aircraft.  But usually I just get the one big damage crunch sound and the kite evaporates or is so damaged that it no longer looks like an aircraft.

Just for the record last night was the exception, not the typical engagement vs a group of buffs.

Offline Hooligan

• Silver Member
Buff's- THEY SUCK
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2002, 01:42:20 PM »
At the risk of remaining on topic....

Fluff .50s seem to hit me harder than ones from fighters.  I can come up for several reasons for this.

Usually when I take .50 hits from a fluff I am pointed at it.  This is like a HO:   I am moving toward the bullets not away from them, so each hit has more Kinetic Energy.  IMO HOs do hurt a lot more than rear quarter shots in this game.

How many .50s are actually firing at me from that B-17, 2? 6? 37?  I honestly don't know but if it is 8 or 10 then it should hit pretty hard.

Dispersion (am I the only guy on this board that can spell that word?):  I never saw anyone at HTC say these guns don't have dispersion.  It seems odd that they would not, but if they don't that MIGHT contribute.  I know all the slaved fluff guns fire parallel.  At 600 yards the dispersion cones of these guns would overlap, basically generating one huge (albeit low density) projectile cone.  Buffs sure seem to hit a lot regardless of geometry so I suspect the guns do have dispersion and the huge overlapping dispersion cone matches what I think I have experienced.  If the guns don't have dispersion I would expect less but deadlier hits.

Part of it could just be my perception.  For the most part it just isn't worth it to me to engage fluffs.  I'm looking forward to the new bomber/strat system whenever we get it.

To the best of my knowledge HTC hasn't said anything about fluff guns not having dispersion or fluffs having unrealistically increased durability.  As far as high altitude maneuverability:  If the bomber in question is not carrying 6,000 lbs of bombs and 6,000 lbs of fuel that it would "normally" carry of course it is going to handle well.  At high altitude the combination of turbosuperchargers and extremely light loading should make these things very agile (compared to what they normally are).

The only thing in bomber modelling that is goofy as far as I know is the unrealistically accurate bombing, and the effect that taking down various targets has on gameplay.

HiTech:  Is there anything else about bomber modelling besides bombing accuracy which is purposely not realistic?

Hooligan
« Last Edit: February 17, 2002, 05:41:45 PM by Hooligan »

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
Buff's- THEY SUCK
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2002, 05:24:29 PM »
No problem really splashing a BUFF providing I use the correct attack profile.  Taking my time I will get the kill.

IMO BUFF's are too easy to kill.

Scratch that notice for this idea concerning some of our elite BUFF gunners whose accuracy is phenomenal and/or lucky.

Offline gavor

• Nickel Member
      • http://users.senet.com.au/~shanga
Buff's- THEY SUCK
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2002, 12:20:28 AM »
Lazs must be dead if he's not getting into this topic :).

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Buff's- THEY SUCK
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2002, 07:44:34 AM »
Give me your best buff gunner, and an avg. player like me can shoot them down 2 of 3 times.  Hint: no dead 6 o'clk and no HO shots to be successful.

The challenge stands...email me and I'll meet you in the TA.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2002, 08:58:55 AM by Ripsnort »

Offline JV44

• Copper Member
Buff's- THEY SUCK
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2002, 08:54:32 AM »
Hello....

I like to fly buffs.... But I also do not like to pick up a target and pinpoint it out of 20k alt....

My suggestion....

Make the norton less accuray, but the blast radius of the bombs bigger.....

also would be nice to stop ack for 1 minute when a 1000 pound bomb hit the field because the guys at ack are in a kind of shock and weary....

And at last. I want bomb crates on runway not ignored by starting planes!.... :D

Andreas

Offline zipity

• Copper Member
Buff's- THEY SUCK
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2002, 11:21:15 AM »
Hey all,

I really like the fact that AH offers a lot of strategy and hope that HTC will continue trying to make the game more interesting and challenging by adding more and more stuff of any type.  Flying buffs, fiters, driving pt boats and GVs is great fun and hopefully there will always be and arena where they can all participate.

All that said, I would like to see buffing made more challenging.  Make it much more difficult to hit a target.  Make weather a much bigger factor.  Wind speed and direction currently plays no part in hitting a target...it should.   Sure make it more difficult to hit and attacking plane but also model the buff to take the kind of punishment the real b-17 took during wwII.

Finally for all those folks that just wont be happy untill all buffs are dead and gone, I wish HTC would give them what they want so they can stop the constant whining.  It would be great if HTC would set up 1 arena totally lacking in everything but furballing.  No buffs, no field capture, no teams, no perks, just one field with 1 type of aircraft with kill shooter enabled only within 1 mile of the field to prevent vulching.  Then let em have at it.  The rest of us could then enjoy a WWII sim without having to listen to the fluff this and the dweeb that.

my $.02 worth.

Offline Horn

• Silver Member
Fightertown!
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2002, 12:00:34 PM »
Originally posted by zipity

It would be great if HTC would set up 1 arena totally lacking in everything but furballing.  No buffs, no field capture, no teams, no perks, just one field with 1 type of aircraft with kill shooter enabled only within 1 mile of the field to prevent vulching.  Then let em have at it.  

my $.02 worth.

Add a full fiter planeset, more fields, and no GV's and this would be a capital idea!

dh

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Buff's- THEY SUCK
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2002, 12:11:03 PM »
Zipity, Dueling Arena. Not quite everything in your list...but most. Its a furball promoted arena, but no one ever uses it, right laz? ;)

Offline Steven

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
      • http://members.cox.net/barking.pig/puke.htm
Buff's- THEY SUCK
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2002, 12:49:20 PM »
I hardly ever fly the BUFFs, but I enjoy their presence in the game and in fact will on occasion take off to get high altitude for the specific purpose of hunting BUFFs.

One thing sort of on the subject I'd like to see implemented are contrails.  There are times people don't realize a very high altitude BUFF is on the way until it is almost smack over the base it will bomb with no chance of intercepting it at 20K+ feet.  Add some contrails, and people may call on the country-channel suspected BUFFs and their headings.  Heck, see several contrails and it might draw some of the aircraft and fighting from the deck up to altitude where the LW, 47s and 51s and a few others will shine.   I imagine this would help fighters get into position against really high threats (bombers or otherwise) for proper attack parameters and higher successes.

Offline Shift

• Zinc Member
Buff's- THEY SUCK
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2002, 11:48:34 AM »
I think that the leathality of the buffs is high but one on it's own can be quite vunrable.

Captureing fields is obviously something that people want to do and is a huge part of the game and you need buffs to do this. If they are not so lethal it is going to make it much harder to achieve . this is why ithink its a great idea to have several buffs to one person because the lethality can be reduced consideratilly and they is still a high chance of getting to the target.

I think patience is good untill the patch comes with this upgrade and it could change your opinion quite a lot

shift