Author Topic: "Bush Warns N. Korea Against Any Moves"  (Read 1058 times)

Offline Octavius

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
"Bush Warns N. Korea Against Any Moves"
« on: February 16, 2002, 02:34:26 PM »
http://my.aol.com/news/news_story.psp?type=1&cat=0100&id=0202161451556114

Something isn't clicking here..  what is dubya's reason for saying something so aggressive?  I agree America should take action if something happens..  he spill his coffee that morning?  wake up on the wrong side of bed? laura bush not putting out? ;)  a lil clarity would be appreciated.

oct out

[EDIT:  nevermind.. suppose i should read the whole article first.. ]
« Last Edit: February 16, 2002, 02:37:17 PM by Octavius »
octavius
Fat Drunk BasTards (forum)

"bastard coated bastards with bastard filling?  delicious!"
Guest of the ++Blue Knights++[/size]

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2002, 02:49:44 PM »
Hmmm... During the Clinton administration, North and South Korea seemed quite close to reconciling their differences.

1. Bush Becomes president.

2. Bush denounces North Korea, diplomacy stalls.

3. Bush calls North Korea part of the "Axis of Evil" and basically gives them notice that "We're comin'!"

4. Bush threatens North Korea meaning "Yeah, I know we said we're comin' but you are not allowed to prepare for it or we'll be comin' sooner."

Let's Roll

:rolleyes:
sand

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2002, 03:59:15 PM »
you can really classify any country as 'terroristic' if you want to.

they seem to be using it to mean: countries we don't like and don't do enough trade with for attacking them to be counterproductive.

i think i would feel best if they compiled a clear definition of 'evil nation' and then stuck to it - of course that would prove sicky wouldn't it.....

china

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2002, 04:19:01 PM »
Don't confuse words with actions.  Right now I think most of the evil regimes in the world are quite worried after what US and Allies did to the Taliban.  Bush knows that if he talks tough he can get them to cooperate.  Look at how quickly Iran started handing over terrorists after Bush included them in his "axis" speech.

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2002, 04:51:36 PM »
Anyone wonder if the gov. knows something you dont? ;)

Imo, N. Korea may already be very close to getting weapons of mass destruction and delivery systems.. which I presume they'd be more than happy to start selling to every terrorist that can pay for them.

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2002, 08:04:57 AM »
"Hmmm... During the Clinton administration, North and South Korea seemed quite close to reconciling their differences.

1. Bush Becomes president.

2. Bush denounces North Korea, diplomacy stalls.

3. Bush calls North Korea part of the "Axis of Evil" and basically gives them notice that "We're comin'!"

4. Bush threatens North Korea meaning "Yeah, I know we said we're comin' but you are not allowed to prepare for it or we'll be comin' sooner."

Let's Roll  
 - Sandman_SBM

*sniff *sniff*
poor, poor North Korea,
Bush bad man.

Sandman, your post gets you a free years supply of kim chee and a chance to buy an intercontinental ballistic missle... compliments of North Korea. :p
« Last Edit: February 17, 2002, 08:44:13 AM by Gunthr »
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline Elfenwolf

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2002, 09:24:27 AM »
Originally posted by Gunthr
 - Sandman_SBM

*sniff *sniff*
poor, poor North Korea,
Bush bad man.

Sandman, your post gets you a free years supply of kim chee and a chance to buy an intercontinental ballistic missle... compliments of North Korea. :p  

Yeah Sandman. Shut up and wave your flag.
Elfenwolf

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2002, 10:58:15 AM »
You guys don't get it...

We we're 'this' close to helping North and South Korea solve their differences.

This would have ensured the safety of the U.S. and it's allies far better than poking a stick at them and making threats.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2002, 11:03:04 AM by Sandman »
sand

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2002, 11:12:31 AM »
I have to agree with Sandman here..
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2002, 11:16:40 AM »
well sandman, thats all fine and dandy for the Koreans. But N Korea would still make them nukes and would still sell them.

Remember, there is no such thing as morality in Int. Politics. Its all bloody self interest.

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2002, 11:45:01 AM »
Seriously, Sandman. I think the problem presented by North Korea goes far beyond that peninsula. Pyongyang’s missiles and weapons of mass destruction have always been the chief obstacles to peace over there... not President Bush.

The issue now is peace and security in the world.

Pass the kim chee, I like the stuff. :)
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2002, 01:04:02 PM »
The new is wearing off GWB fast for me. You can almost hear the speech writer pitching his idea. "Look what the evil impire thing did for Reagan, Mr President.  We can toss in the WW2 Axis thing.  And we got a winner."

If we are going to hit them, then hit them.  If not.  Shut the F*&% up.

Offline streakeagle

• Silver Member
      • Streak Eagle - Stephen's Website
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2002, 01:34:29 PM »
Did any of Clinton's foreign policy exploits produce any results on the scale of tearing down the Berlin Wall, reunifying Germany, and the collapse of the Soviet Union and the iron curtain with almost no violence?

Being tough on "evil empires" (however silly the dumbed down rhetoric for the general public sounds) got those results. I don't really see a problem with continuing the politics of the Reagan-Bush era seeing as how they not only secured an unprecedented level of co-operation throughout the world but also set up the economic conditions that made Bill Clinton's terms look so good on the domestic side.

If the otherwise belligerent North Koreans were so willing to co-operate under Clinton diplomatic strategies, why weren't they re-unified during those 8 long years of his two terms? The North Koreans know how to play international chess as well as anyone. Like Vietnam and China, they will say whatever it takes to get U.S. economic benefits, but still continue to do whatever they want regardless of what they say. Any treaty the North Koreans would have been willing to sign unifying the two countries would have been as meaningul as the agreement with North Vietnam when the U.S. left South Vietnam in 1973.

We signed over South Vietnam to a situation that was so bad that in the late 1990s, Vietnamese officials have joked the best thing the North could have done after taking the South in 1975 was to surrender to the U.S. to get rebuilt like our other defeated opponents, Germany and Japan, into a world economic power.

We should not and probably will not allow South Korea to be subjugated by North Korea. If anything, we want to repeat what was done in Germany with improvements learned from the problems Germany has faced. Of course if I were a North Korean leader, I wouldn't want to give up my power to an imperialist/capitalist U.S. backed regime in the South either. Make no mistake, the Korean War did not end in 1955. It has been an uneasy truce maintained with a continuing loss of lives. Bill Clinton made no more progress in Korea (or any other aspect of foreigh policy!) than the students in China who died proving nothing has changed in China except its economic strategy.
i5(4690K) MAXIMUS VII HERO(32 Gb RAM) GTX1080(8 Gb RAM) Win10 Home (64-bit)
OUR MISSION: PROTECT THE FORCE, GET THE PICTURES, ...AND KILL MIGS!

Offline paintmaw

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2002, 02:45:23 PM »
don't compare lil bush to Reagan

Offline fdiron

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2002, 09:53:55 PM »
Compromise is the method of peace.  However, uncivilized and uneducated nations do not know of compromise.  Each nation must be willing to back off and to give in.  This is how modern nations negoiate.  Places like Somalia and Afghanistan and Palestine do not understand this concept.  Instead of negoiating with compromise, they negoiate with fighting.