Author Topic: Andy Bush, Drex, anyone?  (Read 762 times)

Offline aknimitz

• Silver Member
Andy Bush, Drex, anyone?
« on: February 23, 2002, 10:25:43 PM »
Heya fellas,

I need to work on the definitions page at the training site, Virtual Training Acadamy.  You guys know far and away more about this stuff than I do, and it would be very helpful if either of you could write up (or direct me to) some ACM definitions.  Definitions ranging from split-s to rolling scissor to lift vector to displacement lag roll.  I need it all, and would really appreciate ya'lls help!

Thanks!
Nim

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Andy Bush, Drex, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2002, 11:00:57 PM »
What do you need that isn't in your copy of Shaw's "Fighter Combat: Tactics and Maneuvering"?

--)-FLS----
Musketeers

Offline Andy Bush

• Copper Member
      • http://www.simhq.com  (Contributing Editor - Air Combat Corner)
ACM Help
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2002, 06:14:53 AM »
Nim

I'll see what I can do.

Equally important to this subject is an explanation of how the sim pilot should use the viewing system to perform the maneuver. To me, being able to use the viewing system to accurately fly these maneuvers against an opponent is the real crux of the issue.

Anyone can read Shaw and get an understanding of a given maneuver...now, flying it using only a snap viewing system...that takes special skill!!

Andy

Offline aknimitz

• Silver Member
Andy Bush, Drex, anyone?
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2002, 09:39:44 AM »
Yeah good poing Andy.  ANything you want to write up along those lines would be equally appreciative :)

FLS, of course I have Shaw's book, but I wanted to avoid copying stuff out of his book.  So long as I give him credit I dont suppose there is any problem, but I'd prefer to not have to do that. *shrug*

Nim

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Andy Bush, Drex, anyone?
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2002, 10:58:28 AM »
Since you mentioned previously that you had the book I was asking if you needed definitions of anything not covered in the book.

--)-FLS----
Musketeers

Offline aknimitz

• Silver Member
Andy Bush, Drex, anyone?
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2002, 11:21:51 AM »
Ah, I see.  Honestly I have not checked the book for contents on definitions.  I will do that this afternoon and come back with stuff I would still like some definitions on.  HOnestly I suspected I could find solid definitions ont he net, but so far searching has revealed nada.

Nim

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Andy Bush, Drex, anyone?
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2002, 12:10:44 PM »
Anyone can read Shaw and get an understanding of a given maneuver...

Andy

I'm not convinced that's true, I think a Cliff Notes for Shaw's book would be very popular.  :D

Nim

After looking over your site I have a couple suggestions. Make a list of every acronym and all the slang used online in AH and put it in the definition list so a newbie can learn what "buff" "cc" "rtb" etc mean. These are all terms you know well enough to define and would help a newbie more than telling him that out-of-plane doesn't mean exiting the aircraft.

When you pick films to illustrate maneuvers I assume you'll have a description of the film. Make sure that every term in the description is defined in the definition list.

I assume the definition list will link the name of the maneuver to the film and description of the maneuver. For example "Split S" might be defined simply as "a descending half loop". The film would show the maneuver and the description would explain the purpose, benefits and cautions for the maneuver. As Andy pointed out the description could also give tips on using the view system in the maneuver.

I can see where the scope of your site can be a little overwhelming. I think if you start with the complete basics before adding the advanced stuff and work on it bit by bit it can stay fun for you and be a useful resource for the community.

--)-FLS----
Musketeers

Offline aknimitz

• Silver Member
Andy Bush, Drex, anyone?
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2002, 07:06:11 PM »
FLS,  

Thanks for the pointers.  Here's the problem.  I dont have all those definitions, and am strapped for time to get 'em.  What I do have is a bunch of good film, and I wanted to make what I had available as soon as possible.  I am going to be doing exactly the things you suggested ... I think I am going to just include the acronym's under the definitions page ... and will chnage the title to Definitions and Acronyms.

Whattya think?

Nim

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Andy Bush, Drex, anyone?
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2002, 08:07:08 PM »
Just put the acromyns on the definitions page, don't bother changing the name.  You can include slang, acronyms, and ACM terms and still just call it definitions. Put the stuff you know up and add the other stuff later. That will give you useful content right away. Same with the films. Put the films up and add the descriptions when you have time. You can always solicit descriptions of the films or post your rough drafts for comments.
A thread of discussions on a particular film might make useful content for your site.

Most of what you need should be in Shaw's book and Andy has lot's of good information on his site too.

Here are some other links you may find useful. Of course I'm not suggesting you simply copy them.

http://www.hiway.co.uk/aviation/pterms1.html

http://www.tailhook.org/AVSLANG.htm

http://www.iac.org/begin/figures.html

http://www.monmouth.com/~jsd/how/

Your site could be a full time job for a while but you probably want to have a life and time to fly too.  If I was you I wouldn't worry about when it's done. Just set aside time to work on it
and don't worry about how much you've done or have yet to do.

--)-FLS----
Musketeers

Offline aknimitz

• Silver Member
Andy Bush, Drex, anyone?
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2002, 08:34:39 PM »
Thanks FLS,

I got a good bit done today on the definitions page.  What would really be helpful is if I could find all of Shaw's images in his book scanned somewhere.  I remember seeing them around from time to time at different websites, but I cannot recall where.  Once we get our AVI viewer and Film editor, providing samples of these moves will be cake walk.

S!
Nim

Offline Lazerus

• Gold Member
Andy Bush, Drex, anyone?
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2002, 11:48:35 PM »
Not quite on the subject, but a big fat to ya nim for taking the time to create such a site, wish it was there when I started dying in AH. And I still have that film of me not killin a spit in me 205 if ya want it :-)

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: ACM Help
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2002, 04:22:39 AM »
Originally posted by Andy Bush

Anyone can read Shaw and get an understanding of a given maneuver...now, flying it using only a snap viewing system...that takes special skill!!

Andy

hahem ...
being an native english speaker help too ...

I had lot of trouble understanding these book at first ...

Offline aknimitz

• Silver Member
Andy Bush, Drex, anyone?
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2002, 06:34:36 AM »
Hehe Laz :D  And Thanks for the compliments!

Nim

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Andy Bush, Drex, anyone?
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2002, 10:31:48 AM »
What would really be helpful is if I could find all of Shaw's images in his book scanned somewhere.

You want to be careful about using copywrited work. If you read Shaw, understand what he's telling you,  pass that understanding along and note that he's a reference you're fine, but simply copying is plagerism. You'd need to get his permission to use his images. You can probably just draw what you need with Paint or whatever graphic's program you normally use. If you want to contact him for permission to quote the book and use images you can try his work email. rshaw@ntiinc.com

--)-FLS----
Musketeers

Offline aknimitz

• Silver Member
Andy Bush, Drex, anyone?
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2002, 11:33:56 AM »
Its only plagerism to the extent that you claim the work is your own.  I would not be doing that of course.  But I will shoot Mr. Shaw an email and hope that he might have some suggestions for me.  

Thanks for his email!

Nim